Your favorite blues overdrive pedal?

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
For the really subtle, low gain sounds, I like the Electro Harmonix Soul Food. It’s a budget priced copy of a Klon Centuar. What I like is that it preserves the dynamics. I use it for a Larry Carlton sound, depending upon which amp I’m using, at the moment.

I also use a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso, which is a nice FET boost.

However, the Nocturne Mystery Brain probably does more for the money than any pedal in the Universe and handles the low gain sounds pretty well.

The SD-1 has some good things to offer. It’s pretty decent at the subtle stuff, once you learn to dial it in.

I agree on the BD-2. I had one and could never get what I was looking for, out of it. It was better with DynaSonics than with Filtertrons, but I play Filtertrons almost exclusively.
ok ok I will get a catalinbread chili picoso dammnabit, but it will be an early model.. It seems like it needs to be next to my el pescadoro. I'm gonna go broke on this thread.

sanhozay

Electromatic
Mar 17, 2014
usa
so many great pedals. the kot & klon cover about everything. hot cake with filtetrons are magical together and a fave combination. i love tube screamers and think they are still an incredible & versatile box. a timmy & ts808 are wonderful sounding pedals and stack perfectly.

TubeLife

Synchromatic
Jan 23, 2020
Chicagoland
so many great pedals. the kot & klon cover about everything. hot cake with filtetrons are magical together and a fave combination. i love tube screamers and think they are still an incredible & versatile box. a timmy & ts808 are wonderful sounding pedals and stack perfectly.
I just got on the KOT waiting list. I will most likely forget I even did it and then two years from now I will be like, oh yeah, Nice!!!

Otherwise, currently, the Fluid Drive or an Analogman modded SD-1 takes care of the grit.

I hope grit is not on the ‘Terms that drive you crazy’ thread :p:D

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I find that I can get an interesting sound in a lot of different ways.

Tavo Vega makes a pedal called the Jr. Barnyard that does sort of a vintage breakup, on the order of an amp from the ‘40s. I’m not much for overdrive, but I have three pedals, all inexpensive.

My Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso is basically an FET preamp. One knob and very little tone coloration. Keep it around 10 o’clock and it’s a mellow boost that pushes most amps into overdrive. Crank it a bit further, and it can break up an amp to a greater degree.

I have an ElectroHarmonix Soul Food, which is capable of a light, Carlton sort of sound. It can go deeper, sort of a Santana sound, as well.

The surprise is a $49 Boss SD-1, which does color the tone, but if you are willing to experiment, you can find some very sweet sounds.

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
That's the difference between a distortion and an overdrive/tubescreamer pedal.
Very few pedals do both well.

Having played/owned 100s over the years my current fav's are:

MI Audio Super Crunchbox V2 - best, most versatile Marshall in a box pedal covering early Plexi thru to high gain JCM800 on steriods. Also does Eddie Van Halen brown tones and fuzz. Low noise, cheap, tru bypass and is the closest to a real Marshall I've ever heard.

Analogman mod'ed Maxon OD-9 tubescreamer - best for SRV style blues and as a boost. The AM mod'ing also adds true bypass and gain at the top end to make it more versatile.

Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet - excellent tubescreamer style and more versatile than your average tubescreamer.

Beware of el cheapos and Boss overdrive/distortion pedals. Most are infamous tone suckers with poor quality buffers and lots of humm and fizz :eek:

KqMblnd.jpg
I see your best pedal isn't on your board, but just to the left of it.

sgarnett

Country Gent
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
I have a Fluid Drive ordered for the loop of the Mystery Brain. There’s also a used DLS Mk III coming. I’m not sure whether it will between the Fluid Drive and echo (in the loop) or after the echo. I would probably just put it after the echo if not for several of Howard Gee’s demos with the Foundation Overdrives -> Echo -> Talisman plate reverb.

Anyway, it seems like the MB’s preamp, with or without Abby -> Fluid Drive -> DLS (in either Super Lead or Super Bass/early Plexi/Bassman mode) will provide some interesting low gain stacking possibilities.

sanhozay

Electromatic
Mar 17, 2014
usa
I find that I can get an interesting sound in a lot of different ways.

i like all the pedals you listed. i can get along with most overdrive pedals. my faves tend to be a little more open and i set them all about the same. i don't like pedals with too much bass {i prefer a bass cut/mid hump with overdrives } and have too much volume, or fast tapers. i like the classics!

i actually love boss pedals, especially the older boxes & they have the best switches in the world. the blues driver is fantastic! i modded my sd-1 moons ago but haven't used it for years. i think my old fulldrive ended up replacing it.

i have bought and sold so many overdrives over the past 15 years, it's criminal. but klon, hot cake and ts808 have been mainstays. almost everything got shelved once i got my kot {ten years ago}. i also love menatone's & dave barber's stuff! the nucleus of my overdrives are the kot & sunlion pedal. i know i have rich blood but those two pedals answer every need. :)

sanhozay

Electromatic
Mar 17, 2014
usa
Not that I need another drive pedal, but the Barber Gain Changer looks interesting, if I can find one...

i had a board for around four years with two separate barberLTD's, boss tr2, cs2, dd2 & dm-2 and tu2, old zvex fuzz factory & occasional teese wah. i should have had tone suckage up the caboose but there was nothing but killer tones! i think the gain changer is a compact, more versatile version of his LTDsr pedal. he's a really good builder & great player, too. great ears.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I just got on the KOT waiting list. I will most likely forget I even did it and then two years from now I will be like, oh yeah, Nice!!!

Otherwise, currently, the Fluid Drive or an Analogman modded SD-1 takes care of the grit.

I hope grit is not on the ‘Terms that drive you crazy’ thread :p:D
I think I may be able to order this fall, been on the list for 2 years. Have no idea what I want.

Latest posts