Yet another boring NGD

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
That’s a thing I do with most of my Gretsch electrics… it’s sort of a personal preference. Those are red felt spool pads. I like them when used with metal knobs because it sets them off aesthetically, it provides a just a little resistance when turning the knobs, that is to say the knobs don’t slip as much in my grubby sweaty hands, and they provide a cushion between the metal knob and the wood top. I got the idea from a former GretschPages member many years ago, and I’ve been using them ever since.
Those red things look really cool.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Latest acquisition— another factory prototype!

Yeah, I know, it looks like just another Anniversary model.
But it’s not. This is one of the testbed prototypes for the FT-67 FilterTron pickups. It’s designated as a 6118T-PE-SGR, which marks it as a Players Edition model, and it has all the normal PE appointments. BUT, it also has a serial number ending in 0088. As most folks know, the “00” designation is only used for prototypes, one-offs and revision test models; of which this is one. It was built in late summer 2021, about 6 months before the FT-67 pickup variant was introduced in the 2022 NAMM new model lineup. What’s more, the PE 6118 isn’t currently offered in the smoke green finish. This finish has been discontinued in the PE series, and is currently available only in the VS series. So while it looks more like a classic VS model, it’s actually the thinner ML-braced PE body.

full

full

I totally dig it and am a fan of the PE line. Somehow I didn’t even know they offered ever in green. Thanks for prototype info too. Enjoy!

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
That's a beautiful guitar!
I had the chance to test the new FT-67s pickups on a Falcon and (at least in my experience) they have a sound with slightly more mids than a traditional filtertron (but as Tartanphantom says not at powertron-level).
When i once got to try a PE Tennesse Rose the Ft67s reminded me of something that would be inbetween a tv classic and the brian setzer signature pickups

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
Latest acquisition— another factory prototype!

Yeah, I know, it looks like just another Anniversary model.
But it’s not. This is one of the testbed prototypes for the FT-67 FilterTron pickups. It’s designated as a 6118T-PE-SGR, which marks it as a Players Edition model, and it has all the normal PE appointments. BUT, it also has a serial number ending in 0088. As most folks know, the “00” designation is only used for prototypes, one-offs and revision test models; of which this is one. It was built in late summer 2021, about 6 months before the FT-67 pickup variant was introduced in the 2022 NAMM new model lineup. What’s more, the PE 6118 isn’t currently offered in the smoke green finish. This finish has been discontinued in the PE series, and is currently available only in the VS series. So while it looks more like a classic VS model, it’s actually the thinner ML-braced PE body.

full

full
Looks good!

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
That’s a thing I do with most of my Gretsch electrics… it’s sort of a personal preference. Those are red felt spool pads. I like them when used with metal knobs because it sets them off aesthetically, it provides a just a little resistance when turning the knobs, that is to say the knobs don’t slip as much in my grubby sweaty hands, and they provide a cushion between the metal knob and the wood top. I got the idea from a former GretschPages member many years ago, and I’ve been using them ever since.
@tartanphantom

That is a wonderful suggestion, and looks great too, thanks for sharing.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
You Wenzeled your controls!
Nice guitar, by the way.