Winfield amps

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I was having second thoughts because the cyclone as you know was my original goal until I discovered the Dust Devil but I’m calmed down now. I think the Dust Devil is for me. I am not a huge Fender fan but Indo like them. And Inthink between the Baby Blondeshell and the fendery channel of the Dust Devil all my fender bases will be covered. Seriously though, I don’t need another amp but who am I to let that stop me. I have a weak spot for amps and speakers. On that note and being a Weber speaker fan how doea the Weber Blue Dog compare to an actual Celestian Blue? I have the blue dog in ceramic and alnico both are great But I have always wondered how close the were to their name sakes. Anyone able to answer that for me?
I don’t think that you lose any of the Cyclone’s character with the Dust Devil. That Fender front end, in channel 2 is a great match for the power amp in the Dust Devil. Give it some reverb and you’ll have the classic Fender sound covered.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Are we there yet?
I have A Baby Blondeshell and a Typhoon I sure didnt need a Dust Devil but just exactly why would I let need get in the way! Then again this is 10 watts bigger so we could say I need the step up? I know that a sketchy stretch but until I come up with something better that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Are we there yet?
I have A Baby Blondeshell and a Typhoon I sure didnt need a Dust Devil but just exactly why would I let need get in the way! Then again this is 10 watts bigger so we could say I need the step up? I know that a sketchy stretch but until I come up with something better that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
You've got me wanting one too. I think you should do it.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
You've got me wanting one too. I think you should do it.
Too late! Done did it Saturday! I’m in super duper impatient waiting mode! I’ve tried to take my mind off the wait but my lumber is all big and I’m still in no shape to haul it around to break it down and stay busy. And I am still just getting sleepy easy. So I’ll sleep some of the wait away!

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Too late! Done did it Saturday! I’m in super duper impatient waiting mode! I’ve tried to take my mind off the wait but my lumber is all big and I’m still in no shape to haul it around to break it down and stay busy. And I am still just getting sleepy easy. So I’ll sleep some of the wait away!
Just be careful, John. We don’t need any woodworking accidents. I’ve been anesthetized on a number of occasions, and every time is different. Besides that, you are healing, and that can be tiring.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Just be careful, John. We don’t need any woodworking accidents. I’ve been anesthetized on a number of occasions, and every time is different. Besides that, you are healing, and that can be tiring.
I’m being unite careful. I tried the prescription meds twice Saturday then tossed them. I can’t do loopy. No real pain now just an itch. The itch in my lungs is the worse. i would take double the wait to get rid of that itch. Never had a breathing tube before and certainly do not want one again! My son will help me break down some wood tomorrow. He’s 17 235lbs and thinks it’s funny he could probably give me a run for my money right now. I let him have his moment he’s a good kid nd so is his sister, not like some of these worthless kids running around today! I’ll keep mine! They keep an eye on me to keep me inline.

Now under a month I am told! I must finish a couple projects before the big day!

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island

The lumber can wait man. It will still be there next week.
Congrats on the amp. I almost wish I didn't have any amps so I could get me a Winfield!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
They cleared me to start back to work. The doctor said as long as I am not feeling any pain and haven’t had the need for pain pills all day long. Yesterday I had two acetaminophen for back pain, but for me that’s normal. But I have the week off if I need it. I’ll do month end reports and business plans today and tomorrow and probably tackle and overnight trip Thursday Friday. The doctor actually said I could go back to work yesterday but I was to tired. Now I’m feeling pretty good so I want to save my PTO for D Day or shoul I say DD Day!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
They cleared me to start back to work. The doctor said as long as I am not feeling any pain and haven’t had the need for pain pills all day long. Yesterday I had two acetaminophen for back pain, but for me that’s normal. But I have the week off if I need it. I’ll do month end reports and business plans today and tomorrow and probably tackle and overnight trip Thursday Friday. The doctor actually said I could go back to work yesterday but I was to tired. Now I’m feeling pretty good so I want to save my PTO for D Day or shoul I say DD Day!
Boss told me to stay home this week. So I’m off all week now! Maybe I can actually spend some time playing guitar!

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Dudes, believe me, the green ones sound best. ;)
Words of wisdom! Winnie was kind enough to put together a weirdo combo version of the Cyclone (complete with some grille cloth I found) for me a couple of years ago when I had to get a lightweight amp, and dang it if that thing doesn't sound greener every day. It's all that Synchro says it is. It's a perfect cousin to my AC30 I can no longer lift, similar but with a much bigger capacity for overdrive at less than ear-bleed volumes, particularly when it comes to riding the line between clean and overdriven.

I'd give it five stars (out of four!). :)

Cyclone small.jpg

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
All I can say is I can't wait for my Tremor! I'm sitting here recovering from some surgery just wishing it was in the corner already! I know it's gonna be killer!
Hmm, I was in the same boat still sitting here as my family keeps me under wraps. There is an odd kind of trend. I wonder how many other people sit at home after an op and decide the heck with it I'm buying it!

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Words of wisdom! Winnie was kind enough to put together a weirdo combo version of the Cyclone (complete with some grille cloth I found) for me a couple of years ago when I had to get a lightweight amp, and dang it if that thing doesn't sound greener every day. It's all that Synchro says it is. It's a perfect cousin to my AC30 I can no longer lift, similar but with a much bigger capacity for overdrive at less than ear-bleed volumes, particularly when it comes to riding the line between clean and overdriven.

I'd give it five stars (out of four!). :)

View attachment 186397
That’s the beauty of the EF-86 front end. You can stay on that plateau, between clean and broken up, effortlessly. I‘ve used a 5 watt Typhoon at outdoor gigs, mic’d through the PA, and it sounded like a 100 watt amp, just breaking a sweat. On stage, it was a friendly little living room amp, but out front, it sounded like a Dual Showman. :)

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
That’s the beauty of the EF-86 front end. You can stay on that plateau, between clean and broken up, effortlessly. I‘ve used a 5 watt Typhoon at outdoor gigs, mic’d through the PA, and it sounded like a 100 watt amp, just breaking a sweat. On stage, it was a friendly little living room amp, but out front, it sounded like a Dual Showman. :)
I have wondered about this riding the edge comment. I guess I have not owned an amp I can’t do this with either on its own or with a bit of boost from a pedal. I didn’t even realize there were amps out there with so much headroom you couldn’t do it.started with an RC Booster and now mostly use the Mystery Brain.

Last edited:

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I have wondered about this riding the edge comment. I guess I have not owned an amp I can’t do this with either on its own or with a bit of boost from a pedal. I didn’t even realize there were amps out there with so much headroom you couldn’t do it.started with an RC Booster and now mostly use the Mystery Brain.
What I’m getting at is that the transition zone between clean and broken up is a bit more broad with an EF-86 in the front end. It will break up, just crank it and you can turn down the master volume to keep the overall volume at living room friendly levels. But the dynamics of the front end of that amp are such that you can keep it on whatever side of the line between clean and broken up that you want.

You’ll get a better idea what I’m talking about when you get the Dust Devil. Both channels break up, but they do so differently. My favorite thing, with the Cyclone is to stay, just shy of breakup, where the amp is really singing.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
You I know what’s sad? I keep coming back and listening to the links torturing myself! Back away from the iPhone and leave the amp section alone!

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Elf magic is very powerful!
Winnie’s elves, especially so. I hear them traveling to and from their jobs at all hours, riding back and forth on miniature, elf-sized Harley Davidsons, that sound like manic little sewing machines. in any event, they are bloody-good solderers. :)

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Winnie’s elves, especially so. I hear them traveling to and from their jobs at all hours, riding back and forth on miniature, elf-sized Harley Davidsons, that sound like manic little sewing machines. in any event, they are bloody-good solderers. :)
I bet the descended form these guys,or maybe it is them? A musical bunch if ever there was one.
Probably aren’t too many people who remember this one.