Will I regret selling my "lmtd ed" Gretsch Setzer Smoke?

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
I'm listening! I should add that I'm trying to pay off all bills and then work on a down payment for a house as I plan on getting one when the prices get much much lower. I know it wont go bonkers like 2009-10 but after having sold my house back in 2017 and moving to San Diego, I've not been able to get into a home from the insane skyrocketing prices in the last 2 years.
Ohhh wishin ya the best tryin to buy/ find a house in San Diego,,, you are a braver man than I. “70 and sunny” has it’s price amirite?

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
If it were me, I would not sell. I know I would regret it down the road.

If I needed to raise $3500, I would go around my house and find anything else I could sell. $50 here, $100 there. Most people have a house full of stuff that has little meaning or use to them but worth a few bucks to someone else.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
If you have two FilterTron 6120s, and the Smoke is not your favorite, then I would say get rid of it. That said, not having played either model, but having played plenty of pre-FMIC Gretsches and very recent Gretsches, I can't imagine not leaning towards the Smoke. But I've never had the experience of owning a guitar for 23 years. I'm guessing the SSU is dialed in to feel like home.

I play the 99' SSU the most because it was refretted by my friend Paul Waller (master builder at fender) w stainless steel frets done just like Setzer's. And Tom at Tvjones made me unplated and unwaxed Setzer sig pickups, aaaand Holly from the GDP in Germany made me a custom bigsby duane handle, and TK Smith made me a custom pickguard. Of course this was all over a very long period of time but oh my lordy is great compared to anything Gretsch put out back in the 90s, even if only the wood of the instrument & bigsby/bridge is original at this point :) All saying there is very little sentimental value on the Smoke Setzer other than I smile like a big nerd everytime I plug it in. I do not feel this way about my gretsch electro good time 6 string banjo, at all :)

@Glaw as you can see there is no replacing this special guitar in comparison to the smoke.

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
I play the 99' SSU the most because it was refretted by my friend Paul Waller (master builder at fender) w stainless steel frets done just like Setzer's. And Tom at Tvjones made me unplated and unwaxed Setzer sig pickups, aaaand Holly from the GDP in Germany made me a custom bigsby duane handle, and TK Smith made me a custom pickguard. Of course this was all over a very long period of time but oh my lordy is great compared to anything Gretsch put out back in the 90s, even if only the wood of the instrument & bigsby/bridge is original at this point :) All saying there is very little sentimental value on the Smoke Setzer other than I smile like a big nerd everytime I plug it in. I do not feel this way about my gretsch electro good time 6 string banjo, at all :)

@Glaw as you can see there is no replacing this special guitar in comparison to the smoke.

You answered your own question.

The Smoke is replaceable. That's money in your pocket for a financial goal.

As a player, you won't miss a beat.

Best of luck.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Those Smoke Setzers are gorgeous though. Probably the closest Gretsch ever made to the original Setzer’s 6120.
If it was me, unless I could have one of those Custom Shop Setzer Signature, that’s the one I’d keep nevermind how good all the other Setzers could sound.
Smoke are so close to the original late 50s that it hurts.
Anyway, a man gotta do what a man gotta do. :)

LA Miles

Country Gent
Dec 6, 2012
UPSTATE NY
Well looks like the die is cast however moving out of Kaliforniacation would solve your problem but you seem to love it. Another simple option is an actual PT job for a year - but that may not fit into your schedule based on your business. In any event good luck

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.

I have an 05 ssu and it ain’t going anywhere. Go with the one you’d miss the most.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
You’ve already sold that guitar. You just don’t know it yet.

giphy_4_gif_4280_gif_5751_north_499x_white_gif_4502_gif_9304.gif

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
As a vintage Gretsch guy with a number of 50s Jets and 6120s in the family, I found every single modern Gretsch I ever played to be unispiring. I even had the Vintage Select cadillac green for a while. It's gone and I haven't even thought about it.

I bought a Smoke 6120 and I was hitting the tones and the closest I've come to Setzer playing (which is still the distance from the sun to Pluto) in my lifetime. Smoke is to me the best thing Gretsch has done in the modern era.

I don't have your other guitars but particularly as Smoke is seemingly no longer a production model (as you report) and given that I am confident it will be way closer to what a snob like me thinks of as "real Gretsch", I would strongly advise against selling. Find another way.

The fact that you are being offered more than you paid is suggestive of where the market will go for these "Smoke" models. I haven't played mine in a year as I have to do workarounds now to get things into the UK. But when it gets here it will get played a lot and I can't wait.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Well let me ask this question, would you regret selling the smoke more then not selling it to get yourself in a house, you can't live in a guitar and rent is dead money.

I am going through this same thing now, we are just off a down payment and over the weekend have finally decided to sell my 1964 Holden, sure I'd love to keep it as it's a classic and I love cars but a house for my daughter is more important at this point in time and I'm sick of the deposit just being out of reach and I think now is a good time to buy as everything is going down.

Yes you might regret selling the smoke but one might come up again, I know the back story of your 99 SSU and that will be something you can't replace, if the smoke isn't the same feeling for you then at least it won't hurt too much.

But..... if you do try love the guitar then exhaust all other avenues of ways to knuckle down and try and cover costs, if you can have both then best of luck to you as I hope you can make it work.

If you do sell it I'm sure it will sell here and just see if you can do so with a buy back option if the person decides to sell it later on.