Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Pianists don't GAS

Hmm, don’t they?

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
I see Lots of gear I want but seldom act on it these days. I’ve bought and sold 8 or 10 guitars over the last couple of years but nothing lives up to my main guitar so I figure there’s no sense in buying another guitar just to have it sit.

I‘ve become quite happy with plugging my 355 into a good OD and then Into a Deluxe.

Someone has found his "tone"! Congratulations. I hear some people never find it... ;)

RagnarHairybreeks

Electromatic
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
There are many factors, but it also has to do with the fact that's it's easier to buy a new instrument, in order to spark up the interest in playing the guitar, than to learn a few new techniques.

Guitars do inspire you to play a certain way, so it's always cool to try and buy new guitars.

Buying amps would be good too, but somehow I'd rather buy an additional guitar, than an additional amp.

I love to buy new slides as well :) they're less expensive and fun!
Yep! Just picked up a blue crackle glaze ceramic one (made by a local artisan) to join my meagre collection. Absolutely no reason for it, sounds exactly the same as my white one. But, like the mountain, it was there… image.jpg

schwarzerHund

Gretschie
Jan 1, 2022
Isla de Encanta
I think a part of it is an appreciation for the variety of artistic design, functionality and craftsmanship that go into making a quality guitar. They also represent parts of modern musical history- and our desire to be a part of that- and the musicians that we appreciate and feel a 'connection' to...maybe I'm overthinking it ;)...people like to collect all sorts of things: paintings, sculpture, classic cars, baseball cards, etc- maybe they aren't in a position to acquire the things they appreciate- but it doesn't prevent them from wanting to...there's always the 'next thing' that comes into view

Rodi

Electromatic
Feb 17, 2017
Connecticut
I am at a point that I want to start getting a small quality studio to record, but those friggin guitars are God's glitter, and amplifiers too,(Winfield amps has sort of stymied that!). I want to get other stuff but guitars are my focus.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I was 73 in May, and I'm the perfect example of the little boy inside the man.

I still find myself needing to get lost, find distraction, and wash the brain.

The attached demonstrate my two favorite ways to do all three. Nothing like hovering over a wooden ship wreck at 130' or tinkering with my favorite 325!

Haven't been below the surface since my wife's stroke, a year ago, but still getting lots of pick'in and grin'in.

I also tinker a lot with my guitars...striving for perfection, adding additional personality, and to truly make them mine.

Best,

BIB.

Screenshot (16).png IMG_1320.JPG

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I don’t don’t buy gear for creativity itnis just boredom and the desire for a sound. If I want a creative boost I listen to music I would normally not listen to.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
It's pretty hard to let go of that whole hunter-gatherer thing, even long after the essentials have been acquired.
Could be.
I've found the more active I am musically the less I think about new gear. I'm at a point now where I would like to have less but don't really want to sell anything.
Same here. GAS is a symptom of musical frustration.
Some great ideas shared and love the thread as I recently asked myself ....why? Buddy nailed it on the head for me though in that I'm completely satisfied when playing and get so completely immersed in my playing that I need a dose of discipline to stay focused.

The GAS gets going though when the workday is done and I'm either not playing or going to the gym. I think my desire is born out of curiosity. It's the same reason I have to dial in my excitement when I start playing.....my curiosity and creative thinking goes wild and I lust over being completely satisfied with playing and lose the desire for any new guitars.
Interesting thoughts.

I think that a lot of it is curiosity. I can think of parallels. I love to fly types of aircraft I’ve never flown before. There’s no practical reason, but it’s cool to have flown a number of types.

I would love to have a Gibson Firebird, just to try it out and get to know it. Likewise for an SG with P-90s. I don’t know that I would love either of these guitars, but I’d love to get to know how they sound, and what they play like. I could say the same for a Fender Jazzmaster, or a vintage Coronado with DeArmonds. None of these are guitars I would be likely to use to any great extent, but they would be fun to get to know. (I’ve heard that Gibson Firebirds can be very uncomfortable to play on a strap.)

Likewise, there are a few amps I would love to have, just out of curiosity; a ‘59 Bassman, a Super Reverb, a Marshall 2061 (RIs ok for any of these), a ‘62 Dual Showman, a ‘62 Deluxe. I don’t need any of these amps, but it would be a lot of fun to experiment with them.
I think a part of it is an appreciation for the variety of artistic design, functionality and craftsmanship that go into making a quality guitar. They also represent parts of modern musical history- and our desire to be a part of that- and the musicians that we appreciate and feel a 'connection' to...maybe I'm overthinking it ;)...people like to collect all sorts of things: paintings, sculpture, classic cars, baseball cards, etc- maybe they aren't in a position to acquire the things they appreciate- but it doesn't prevent them from wanting to...there's always the 'next thing' that comes into view
This makes sense. Guitars are functional sculpture. Sometimes, I’ll walk past my wall o’ guitars and I’m just struck by the beauty of the designs. The history thing makes sense too, and three of my four Gretsch are guitars I first saw on Chet Atkins’ album covers, and the fourth is a replica of the first Gretsch I ever saw in person, a ‘67 Tennessean.
I'm often very thankful that throughout most of my earlier years I never heard of this "internet" thing..........
Amen to that.

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
I have a handful of other sounds I can't quite squeeze out of a Gretsch but know what to buy to get. I might just put a hotrail in my strat and call it good, though.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
Perhaps one of the reasons why aspiring guitar players quit soon after day one…

Is due to picking the wrong guitar?

I don’t use my first axe anymore, and it turns out that the American Performer is my daily driver. Nobody can answer the question for anyone else nor themselves…

But what if that next piece of gear really motivates you to pickup and play and sounds so good?

This one did it for me. (A couple will be sold, and won’t ever need to be bought again.)

Attachments

• 32A30A7E-A2F5-437C-AF9B-8C793290251C.jpeg
    32A30A7E-A2F5-437C-AF9B-8C793290251C.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
All the beautiful guitars I can get, to make for all the beautiful girls I couldn't...
Nice parallelism, I use it all the time with my friends. ;)
At this point, to me there’s very little difference between a young beautiful lady and a gorgeous custom shop guitar. I couldn’t afford to have none of them. :D:D
Anyway nobody can’t stop you at looking at both though ;)

Robbie

Friend of Fred
Jun 17, 2013
Sarnia Ontario Canada
Someone has found his "tone"! Congratulations. I hear some people never find it... ;)

Yes, every guitar I buy I become dissatisfied that it doesn’t sound and feel like my old 355 so figure, why buy another guitar…but at times I still do, and regret it. That said, I have never, not once, regretted the purchase of my Gretsch Panther. It is an awesome, versatile instrument. I could easily (and probably should) go down to my 355 and the Panther.

Latest posts