Why do we obsess over the next guitar?

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
My goal in life about twenty years ago was to own on DVD every single movie ever made (except a movie called CONGO about a talking gorilla and Sly Stallone's COBRA. Oh, are those movies bad.) Own every movie ever made on DVD (except CONGO and COBRA)...and I was getting there. Then BluRay came around and my quest to own every movie ever made on DVD ended.
Haha I can identify.
While I don’t pretend to own every movie, we have a ridiculous collection in our home. VHS, DVD, and Blu Ray. It grows on a semi-weekly basis. Mostly Exploitation, Horror, etc.
I’ll admit that there are more than a few movies I’ve upgraded to Blu-Ray even though I owned the DVD.
I actually sold off 200+ VHS tapes last year. Mostly cuz I was running out of room. Since then we bought a house and I regret selling them because I have room for them now!
Anyway…. We totally own Cobra on DVD! Haha My ol’ lady enjoys that one.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
We all indulge in little fantasies, but a new piece of gear is generally very lo-threshold and actually feasible to realise. It’s usually restricted by budgetary concerns which are relatively easy to overcome, compared to that new mansion or trophy wife. :)

RagnarHairybreeks

Electromatic
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
Because the next guitar will raise your playing to a level Ry Cooder could only dream of.

New guitar equals awesomeness. New motorcycle is instacool. New custom knife means you can survive in the wild and slay zombies. New torch means you will always be prepared to save the day. New laptop means you will overreach Bill Gates. New power tools will make you far more manly (and solve that five dollar problem for a mere two hundred and fifty).

Say it ain’t so.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Because the next guitar will raise your playing to a level Ry Cooder could only dream of.

New guitar equals awesomeness. New motorcycle is instacool. New custom knife means you can survive in the wild and slay zombies. New torch means you will always be prepared to save the day. New laptop means you will overreach Bill Gates. New power tools will make you far more manly (and solve that five dollar problem for a mere two hundred and fifty).

Say it ain’t so.
Oh man, you hit almost all my hot buttons! Don't get me started on knives and tools. Tools are by far the worse addiction!

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA

Say it ain’t so.
It’s true.😎

You should see how fast I am in my new sneaks.

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
It's pretty hard to let go of that whole hunter-gatherer thing, even long after the essentials have been acquired.
My wife and I spend hours watching a live-cam of Alaska brown bears catching salmon. (We even narrate using "bear voices", but I digress.) Some associated research revealed that the bears drive to catch fish is so strong that they will continue to catch even when they are full, and then just drop the catch. The next guitar is my salmon. Nature REQUIRES me to catch it.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
It’s part of the human condition. Anticipation can often be better than acquisition. The mind believes there’s a void that only a possession can fill then it sets itself on convincing you that possession will fill the void and make you happy. So you acquire the new possession and you’re on Cloud 9…for a short period of time. The feeling soon wears off and the mind once again sets itself on the task of convincing you to acquire a new possession that will fill the void and make you happy. The trick is to be content with what you already have. Happiness doesn’t last very long but being content does.
Wise words.

My theory of GAS is that it’s a substitutional activity which allows us to do something now ( buy a guitar ) when we are waiting for some guitar goal, which can take time.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I've found the more active I am musically the less I think about new gear. I'm at a point now where I would like to have less but don't really want to sell anything.
Some great ideas shared and love the thread as I recently asked myself ....why? Buddy nailed it on the head for me though in that I'm completely satisfied when playing and get so completely immersed in my playing that I need a dose of discipline to stay focused.

The GAS gets going though when the workday is done and I'm either not playing or going to the gym. I think my desire is born out of curiosity. It's the same reason I have to dial in my excitement when I start playing.....my curiosity and creative thinking goes wild and I lust over being completely satisfied with playing and lose the desire for any new guitars.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
Not long after I started playing early in 2021, I obsessed about owning three Gretsch guitars:

-Hollow body
-Center block
-Solid (chambered)

And as of a couple weeks ago, that goal has been reached. I don’t itch anymore.

But, like driving the magic bus…

Along the way, I kept picking up orphaned guitars, because room was available.

🚌 🎸 🎸 🎸

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
There are many factors, but it also has to do with the fact that's it's easier to buy a new instrument, in order to spark up the interest in playing the guitar, than to learn a few new techniques.

Guitars do inspire you to play a certain way, so it's always cool to try and buy new guitars.

Buying amps would be good too, but somehow I'd rather buy an additional guitar, than an additional amp.

I love to buy new slides as well :) they're less expensive and fun!