Why do we obsess over the next guitar?

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I’m at work dreaming of gear…I ask myself why?

Is it boredom? Is it a way to connect with our instruments when we’re not able to play? Is it to keep practice interesting?

Maybe a bit of all that and more?

Why do we spend so much energy obsessing over the next acquisition?
For me it is a little boredom and the what am I missing feeling. Kind of like the modding bug. you don’t need the mod but maybe it is better even slightly incrementally than what I have now. I beat the mod bug and the mandolin and mostly guitar gas but as has been witnessed I have not over come the amp gas. I don’t even have the Duat Devil yet and I’m dreaming of the MarkV90 and I don’t gig so why would I want that beast! Although you guys and your guitar has have passed ona. But if a desire for the White Penguin! Just a slight desire.

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
It’s a quest for perfection. Will a guitar do it? Maybe an amp. Maybe all you need is that pedal that gives you an unimaginable tone. I’m waiting on pickups from TVJ that will bring my SG to life.

Maybe we’re wasting our time. Maybe we already have everything we need. Perfection is an impossible goal. The Persian weaver tells his tale about leaving a tiny, almost unnoticeable flaw in his rug because only Allah can be perfect.

So we can’t be perfect. But we can be better. And new gear won’t make us better. We all know the secret. It’s practice.

So rather than pick up a guitar we already own, we obsess over the next one.

Last edited:

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
It’s part of the human condition. Anticipation can often be better than acquisition. The mind believes there’s a void that only a possession can fill then it sets itself on convincing you that possession will fill the void and make you happy. So you acquire the new possession and you’re on Cloud 9…for a short period of time. The feeling soon wears off and the mind once again sets itself on the task of convincing you to acquire a new possession that will fill the void and make you happy. The trick is to be content with what you already have. Happiness doesn’t last very long but being content does.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
It’s part of the human condition. Anticipation can often be better than acquisition. The mind believes there’s a void that only a possession can fill then it sets itself on convincing you that possession will fill the void and make you happy. So you acquire the new possession and you’re on Cloud 9…for a short period of time. The feeling soon wears off and the mind once again sets itself on the task of convincing you to acquire a new possession that will fill the void and make you happy. The trick is to be content with what you already have. Happiness doesn’t last very long but being content does.
The less frisky the wife the more I tend to spend. That can’t be to abnormal. Right?

CBHScott

Gretschie
Feb 13, 2015
Central OH
My wife always tells me that it’s the hunt that gets (and keeps) me going.

She’s not wrong. Over the last 20 years I must have gone through about 80 guitars, and I have kept none of them more than three years for various reasons (one of them is a MIJ Strat that I still have). In one way, it’s kind of sad, but in another, it’s been a cool hobby - the only real hobby that I have stuck with since I was a teenager - plus, I have been able to “own” just about every kind of guitar that I have ever wanted, but without losing a ton of money in the process overall.

I must admit, though, that lately there are no guitars that I haven’t tried that excite me, so in my advancing age, the “churn” has slowed considerably…well, never mind the two I have for sale right now ;):rolleyes:

Horse Nation

Gretschie
Jun 7, 2022
new york
It’s a quest for perfection.

Believe it or not, some of the gear we have we do view as absolutely perfect. My Stratocaster is absolutely perfect in every way.

So, I don't know if it a quest for perfection. I have perfect, yet, I still buy other guitars. Why?

Some of us like to collect. My goal in life about twenty years ago was to own on DVD every single movie ever made (except a movie called CONGO about a talking gorilla and Sly Stallone's COBRA. Oh, are those movies bad.) Own every movie ever made on DVD (except CONGO and COBRA)...and I was getting there. Then BluRay came around and my quest to own every movie ever made on DVD ended.

Some of us enjoy the art of collecting.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Believe it or not, some of the gear we have we do view as absolutely perfect. My Stratocaster is absolutely perfect in every way.

So, I don't know if it a quest for perfection. I have perfect, yet, I still buy other guitars. Why?

Some of us like to collect. My goal in life about twenty years ago was to own on DVD every single movie ever made (except a movie called CONGO about a talking gorilla and Sly Stallone's COBRA. Oh, are those movies bad.) Own every movie ever made on DVD (except CONGO and COBRA)...and I was getting there. Then BluRay came around and my quest to own every movie ever made on DVD ended.

Some of us enjoy the art of collecting.
Don’t forget prizzi’s honor terrible.

J Bird

Synchromatic
Dec 2, 2016
Enumclaw
Somehow, my quest for more and better gear has been quelled right along with my lack of discretionary finances.

I consider myself lucky on two accounts.

One is that I'm not going into debt unnecessarily.

The second is that I've got great gear and can't be upset that maybe one amp has a bit too much headroom, or another amp is a bit too mids focused.

With all that is going on in my life (one month until the wedding) I can't bother even thinking about trivial things like amps and guitars.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Somehow, my quest for more and better gear has been quelled right along with my lack of discretionary finances.

I consider myself lucky on two accounts.

One is that I'm not going into debt unnecessarily.

The second is that I've got great gear and can't be upset that maybe one amp has a bit too much headroom, or another amp is a bit too mids focused.

With all that is going on in my life (one month until the wedding) I can't bother even thinking about trivial things like amps and guitars.
Congratulations don't let nerves get to you!