Where to buy Tru Arc Bridge

Joey L

Synchromatic
Jun 24, 2016
White Plains, NY
I am new to the Gretsch experience and am interested in buying a Tru a Arc bridge for my 5420. After a little investigation on the net, I only see the manufacturers sight which is a one page document. Are there any suppliers or is this the only source and make the pay pal payment per instruction on the page?

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
That's where you get your info. Yep.

Also - do yourself a favor and check out Compton bridges as an alternative option. I prefer them myself(as do many others)though Tru-Arc DOES make a great product.

yeah Tony - I've got both on 2 gretsch but didn't you just put a Tru-arc on your new 5420 - or did I get that wrong. ??
Me thinks I slightly prefer the Tru-arc rocking bar design.
Both great though - Compton is cheaper & easier to deal with :)

Joey L

Synchromatic
Jun 24, 2016
White Plains, NY
Are both Compton and Tru Arc a complete bridge with the wood base that is pinned in the same location as the stock or are they just saddles that attach to the existing wood base.
Also how do you intonate if the bridge is fixed and the new top a fixed one piece saddle?

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Are both Compton and Tru Arc a complete bridge with the wood base that is pinned in the same location as the stock or are they just saddles that attach to the existing wood base.
Also how do you intonate if the bridge is fixed and the new top a fixed one piece saddle?

the bar bridges are hand made to drop direct on top of your existing wooden base.

Intonation - the tru-arc rocking bar bridge & the compton have slightly different design concepts to ensure correct intonation.
They are hand made for your guitar to provide excellent intonation.
I have both & have noticed intonation with my tru-arc is slightly more accurate with its rocking bar design.
Both significantly improve guitar tone & note sustain.
Compton is a fair bit cheaper :)

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Waxhead.. One last question- What metal bridge do you prefer brass, aluminum, copper and why?

Joey - I'm not the best person to ask cos I've only got 1 stainless steel & 1 aluminium.
Depends on what kinda tone outcome you want.
Look at the websites for explanation on what each material type delivers.
I've never heard a copper or brass one :)

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
There are even Tru-Arc glass bridges. I have stainless steel myself. I like the mass, and the simplicity of both types. Both are just one man part time operations, not big corporations.

Last edited:

Joey L

Synchromatic
Jun 24, 2016
White Plains, NY
With a pinned bridge , are these replacements pretty much plug and play? Also does anyone know the radius of. New 5420t bridge? Is it a 9.5 or 12?

Last edited:

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
With a pinned bridge , are these replacements pretty much plug and play? Also does anyone know the radius of. New 5420t bridge? Is it a 9.5 or 12?

Yes - once measured and ordered correctly they just slip right on.

As for metals, go look at the descriptors for each and decide which tonal properties appeal most to what your ears want to hear. I like bright. I like bright as possible........so this time Wayne(Compton)made me a chambered Aluminum and it's my favorite yet. :)

Radius of 5420? 12"

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Can you explain a bit more about a chambered bridge vs a standard , I assume a solid one.

All I can say having owned both, is that the chambered seems brighter(obviously lighter), and more open........the individual notes within a chord for instance seem more distinct. More clarity. Is it gonna change the whole world? No. But there IS a difference, and as we all know with guitars........lots of small differences add up to a big deal.