What movie/s scared the heck out of you when you were little?

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I prefer Korean War and earlier. I don’t care for the Vietnam shows or new conflict movies. Still love M.A.S.H the antics kind of transcend the time frame.
There are a couple of new conflict movies worth a watch, tho they all take place before the '60s. "1917" is excellent, as is "War Horse" and "The Lost Battalion", and "Gallipoli" that all cover the Great War. "Das Boot", "Defiance", "Fury", and "Saving Private Ryan" are WWII based. I just can't watch anything I was remotely involved in or later. "We Were Soldiers" was well done, but too familiar.
Korea? M*A*S*H is celebrating its 50th anniversary and lasted more than three times longer than the conflict. "Pork Chop Hill" and "Bridges At Toko-Ri" fit the bill. "Battle Circus" is about MASH units, and I noticed something I hadn't about the TV series before---there's no top sergeant on the TV MASH. Never saw any kind of military unit without a top sergeant keeping it all together.
I'm a history aficionado. "Gladiator" and "Master and Commander" (both with Russell Crowe) cover their respective eras well. I seem to be a rarity in that I like "Thirteenth Warrior".

I don't watch them to glorify war or violence, but more to understand the drive, the camaraderie, and the struggles of those involved.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Pretty much seen all of them but a couple. I did like the band of brothers series. Who was the sergeant I. The motor pool? I forget his name and rank but his sleeve a bit of weight on it. I’m going to go watch later and see if I can find it And what hai rank was.

RagnarHairybreeks

Electromatic
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
Not relevant to the original question, but having a little medical training (and an understanding of classical mechanics) I find a lot of violent movies very hard to watch as I struggle to suspend Hollywood disbelief as the protagonist leaps up again for another punch as I just visualise the actual physical damage of that kick to the head or drop from a balcony.

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
The Blob.
The original.

In the movie, it started oozing out of the projector room into the theater.
And there I was, sitting in a theater.

I was up and out of there in a hurry, all sphincters airtight.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Mrs MT was creeped out by the Exorcist for a year!

I generally avoided scary movies or TV shows when I was a kid and even now don't like them. Jaws was the first I saw and when the shark appeared, I had to cover my face.There was a Friday night horror movie on a local channel, 50s classics like Creature From the Black Lagoon. I wouldn't watch them with my friends at a sleepover. I'd keep leaving the room, going to the bathroom, etc ... Now I watch them and think they're pretty cheesy.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Not relevant to the original question, but having a little medical training (and an understanding of classical mechanics) I find a lot of violent movies very hard to watch as I struggle to suspend Hollywood disbelief as the protagonist leaps up again for another punch as I just visualise the actual physical damage of that kick to the head or drop from a balcony.
It makes me laugh but on the other hand I have seen some crazy fights that seemed almost unreal. Sadly the most out of this world was generally someone hopped up on pcp. I remember a kid jump off the second floor and run off like nothing happened but he actually shattered both ankles. Still the silly fight scenes make me laugh.

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
There are a couple of new conflict movies worth a watch, tho they all take place before the '60s. "1917" is excellent, as is "War Horse" and "The Lost Battalion", and "Gallipoli" that all cover the Great War. "Das Boot", "Defiance", "Fury", and "Saving Private Ryan" are WWII based. I just can't watch anything I was remotely involved in or later. "We Were Soldiers" was well done, but too familiar.
Korea? M*A*S*H is celebrating its 50th anniversary and lasted more than three times longer than the conflict. "Pork Chop Hill" and "Bridges At Toko-Ri" fit the bill. "Battle Circus" is about MASH units, and I noticed something I hadn't about the TV series before---there's no top sergeant on the TV MASH. Never saw any kind of military unit without a top sergeant keeping it all together.
I'm a history aficionado. "Gladiator" and "Master and Commander" (both with Russell Crowe) cover their respective eras well. I seem to be a rarity in that I like "Thirteenth Warrior".

I don't watch them to glorify war or violence, but more to understand the drive, the camaraderie, and the struggles of those involved.
Saving Private Ryan is the best war movie ever, IMHO. Outstanding story and shooting.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Saving Private Ryan is the best war movie ever, IMHO. Outstanding story and shooting.
Oddly enough I just watched that this week with a bit of time on my hands. That Guns of Navaron and Where Eagles Dare and against my normal penchant a Vietnam one I like. With Gunny and Mathew Modine. I am having a complete loss of memory at the moment. And quite a few more and way to much anime. Odd thing is I just don’t find what people call horror movies scary at all anymore.

Last edited:

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
There are many mistakes made in that aspect. A common one is that punching someone in the jaw will knock them out. It might break your jaw but it won't render you unconscious (unless you hit your head really hard on the ground.)

Changing the subject slightly, if WWE was real, there'd be dead wrestlers every night.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
View attachment 185769
Oh, the original Night Of The Living Dead. Saw it when I was 12. I had to cross a field on the way home from my friends house at night. Jacked me up for a while. Black and white didn’t help. Made my mom and sister watch it a few years later. Jacked them up too.
I was about the same age. Loved it! Only part that freaked me out was when the young girl in the basement reanimated.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
O'
He was a strange and talented dude. I think he could have (and should have) been able to do more, but from what I’ve read about him, he was a very stubborn man, and pretty hard to get along with. At least hard to get along with to the people in suits that make decisions. Unfortinately he died of cancer some years back.
Bannon also played Pinback in Dark Star, John Carpenter's adaptation of a an O'Bannon story. Funny stuff!

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
When I was a little kid I loved any scary movie I could find. One evening I wheedled, whined, and cajoled until Mom let me watch Planet of Blood, for which I had seen the listing in the TV Guide. The nightmares kept me (and therefore Mom) up half the night. There was another film later on about a bunch of human-looking women who were in fact giant bees, or some such. I disremember the title but it was terrifying to a ~10 year-old. The Birds was definitely creepy as a kid. I've seen The Exorcist at least 10 times and still can creep me out a bit, especially the extended version with the "crab walk" scene that was deleted from the theatrical version.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
O'

Bannon also played Pinback in Dark Star, John Carpenter's adaptation of a an O'Bannon story. Funny stuff!
Yessir!
Love Dark Star. That started as their student film and ended up being a real movie. Pinback steals the show as far as I’m concerned. I saw that at the Drive-In last summer.

Last edited:

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
Oddly enough I just watched that this week with a bit of time on my hands. That Guns of Navaron and Where Eagles Dare and against my normal penchant a Vietnam one I like. With Gunny and Mathew Modine. I am having a complete loss of memory at the moment. And quite a few more and way to much anime. Odd thing is I just don’t find what people call horror movies scary at all anymore.
Full Metal Jacket! Stanley Kubrick, second favorite war movie, great show!

Last edited: