What movie/s scared the heck out of you when you were little?

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
"The Men who killed Liberty Valence"

A+!
That's a classic John Wayne western. Not much horror in that. Great film, tho.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to our regularly scheduled program---
Thinking about TV horror shows, there's an episode of The X Files titled "Home" that they wouldn't rerun for years. The three "Toombs" episodes were pretty gnarly as well. The "Nessie" one was great.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Fun fact - it's named after an actual 1920s race car. The original "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and its owner, Count Louis Zborowski:
Count_Zborowski_With_Chitty_Bang_Bang_1_At_Brooklands.jpg

Shock

Synchromatic
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
House of Dark Shadows -- way creepier and bloodier than the soap opera. Spent the whole movie with my feet off the floor up on the theater seat!

The movie had a budget. The same storyline as the soap opera, Barnabas the Vampire comes back to 1971 after being let out of his coffin by a grave robber. He rejoins his new old family after his 150 year absence like nothing is up., masquerading as the family cousin from England, that somehow no one knew about. The eerie painting of the 1795 Barnabas hanging in the mansion entry is proof enough of identity for him to move in to the mansion and start biting everyone. It just so happen that one of the local tarts, Maggie Evans, happens to be the reincarnation of Barnabas' old fiance from the 1795s. So he tries to marry her and live happily ever after, but things just don't work out for them. The whole villagers with torches and pitchforks thing.

When I would go to bed at night, I would have to have the covers pulled up around my neck after seeing the movie. I would lay awake at night waiting for Barnabas, because of course he would be by eventually. But the next year I would start listening to Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper, so it all kind of cleared up for me.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
That's a classic John Wayne western. Not much horror in that. Great film, tho.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to our regularly scheduled program---
Thinking about TV horror shows, there's an episode of The X Files titled "Home" that they wouldn't rerun for years. The three "Toombs" episodes were pretty gnarly as well. The "Nessie" one was great.
Home is my all time favorite episode. Texas Chainsaw X-Files!
There’s a particularly upsetting scene with a baseball bat with “What a Wonderful World” playing as a soundtrack. Very troubling.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
At 4 years old even "Bambi" is scary.
Oddly I didn’t find it scary, no, for me it was sad! At four I was in tears. I don’t think I have seen it a handful of times and when the mother is getting killed I’m not in the room. Same with Lassie, my parents thought it was great to put it on for me and at first I watched it but I started telling them no. They had that dog is so many life and death situations I couldn’t stand it. I remember telling them, why would you make a kid watch that! It was so emotionally taxing I stopped watching it. Put a war movie on and I had no real issues with the people dieing. They asked me once why that was. Keep in mind I was maybe 7 when they asked but my reply was people get themselves into these problems where as with the animals more often than not people didn’t give them a choice, they just killed them directly or indirectly. Weird thing to think as a kid. I still avoid shows with animals getting killed. Funny how some of those shows, as kids, shaped us.

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Oddly I didn’t find it scary, no, for me it was sad! At four I was in tears. I don’t think I have seen it a handful of times and when the mother is getting killed I’m not in the room. Same with Lassie, my parents thought it was great to put it on for me and at first I watched it but I started telling them no. They had that dog is so many life and death situations I couldn’t stand it. I remember telling them, why would you make a kid watch that! It was so emotionally taxing I stopped watching it. Put a war movie on and I had no real issues with the people dieing. They asked me once why that was. Keep in mind I was maybe 7 when they asked but my reply was people get themselves into these problems where as with the animals more often than not people didn’t give them a choice, they just killed them directly or indirectly. Weird thing to think as a kid. I still avoid shows with animals getting killed. Funny how some of those shows, as kids, shaped us.
I can only watch war movies before the 1960s. After that, they hit too close to home, too many bad memories. I've tried; I just wind up spending the next few days sitting in the dark.

For scary Disney stuff, in "Fantasia" the "Night On Bald Mountain" devil was pretty nasty.

There was a series of movies (videos) titled "Faces of Death" (three of them if memory serves) that were exceedingly gruesome. I've seen death (and wish to see no more) and these were nasty real-life deaths captured on camera. Bad enough people put them into a compilation, but the people that ate them up had to have a screw or two loose.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I can only watch war movies before the 1960s. After that, they hit too close to home, too many bad memories. I've tried; I just wind up spending the next few days sitting in the dark.

For scary Disney stuff, in "Fantasia" the "Night On Bald Mountain" devil was pretty nasty.

There was a series of movies (videos) titled "Faces of Death" (three of them if memory serves) that were exceedingly gruesome. I've seen death (and wish to see no more) and these were nasty real-life deaths captured on camera. Bad enough people put them into a compilation, but the people that ate them up had to have a screw or two loose.
I prefer Korean War and earlier. I don’t care for the Vietnam shows or new conflict movies. Still love M.A.S.H the antics kind of transcend the time frame.