What movie/s scared the heck out of you when you were little?

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Of all things it was Frankenstein one of the original ones. I had a recurring dream where even though I was running it was like running through molasses up to my waist. No matter how hard I tried Frankenstein kept getting closer. This lasted until I until I was allowed to watch war movies. I then stopped running in my dream turned around and kicked his butt. Another was some old show I had to sneak to watch. I was four and this movie, I forget the name, was in a south west town, it was not the blob, but it was similar, there was a substance like mud but very acidic and it would come out at night and attack. People who stayed in their home were safe but only, if my kid mind understood this correctly, if the home was adobe. It would come up out of a big round hole either a well or a large drilled hole. They lowered someone down in it and h touched the side and when the pulled him out he was dead or unconscious and dieing. Oddly I didn’t get nightmares from it but the day I saw it it was a time of year you would get a certain scent in the air. Every time I smelled it I couldn’t get to my bed and under the covers quick enough. To this day I remember those two scenes every time I smell that smell on the air. This movie was from about the same time frame as the movie Monoliths was made. If anyone remembers it and knows the name please let me know. I would love to see it now when I’m old enough to understand it.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
For me it was my big brother and sister taking little Rad, me, to the movies to see “House on Haunted Hill”. OMG, I had never seen a horror movie before, I hid behind the big loge seating in back of the theater….Are you old enough to remember those type of seats in the big theaters?

View attachment 185763

radd:

I think I was 12, maybe 13, depending on release date. Ray Milland, the Premature Burial...scary!!

The old lady, skate-boarding by, down in the basement in House on Haunted Hill, really freaked me out! one of the best ever!

BIB.

PMB.jpg hohh.jpg

Last edited:

Sanchito

Electromatic
May 11, 2022
Washington, DC

Definitely The Shining. Not only terrified me, but also completely changed my opinion about horror films.

Though I should also mention -- The Brave Little Toaster. That scene where the repair guy is just gleefully ripping apart their little cartoon bodies? I always mention this like it's a joke but honestly, if you know the scene I bet you get it.

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Silver Member
Dec 7, 2011
United States

Definitely The Shining. Not only terrified me, but also completely changed my opinion about horror films.

Though I should also mention -- The Brave Little Toaster. That scene where the repair guy is just gleefully ripping apart their little cartoon bodies? I always mention this like it's a joke but honestly, if you know the scene I bet you get it.

Great show, but I found the book muuuch scarier than the movie.

Butch Ammon

Synchromatic
Jan 3, 2016
Richmond, VA
Small child, like 4 or 5 years old: The Blob (i.e. the old 1958 cheesy horror film with a young Steve McQueen).
Elementary school/middle school years: The House on Haunted Hill.
High school years: Jaws.
After high school: Amityville Horror (which was actually TRUE! well.... haunted, yes, but not as extravagant as Hollywood made it out to be). The house in Amityville, Long Island NY, was actually built on top of an ancient Native American burial site. I knew a fellow "Coastie" from my USCG days who was from Long Island and knew very well of the house and its tales.
Adult: "IT" by Stephen King (both the book and the movie). Nothing ever... I mean E-V-E-R, has gotten way down deep into my soul and totally freaked me out, like "IT"! 😨

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I think I was 12, maybe 13, depending on release date. Ray Milland, the Premature Burial...scary!!

Ray Milland was in another Roger Corman classic about a year after they did Burial together ...

XRayEyes.jpg

It's not really a horror flick - more sci-fi than anything else - but what 12 year kid doesn't dream about having X-Ray vision at one time or another. That is ... until you've seen this!

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR

Love that movie, but I can't watch it without being aware of Stanley Kubrick in every single frame. It has to be one of the most "artful" horror moves ever made.

They used Oregon's Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood for some of the exterior shots. I always enjoy those scenes because I can point out which rooms I've stayed in! LoL!

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Ray Milland was in another Roger Corman classic about a year after they did Burial together ...

View attachment 185968

It's not really a horror flick - more sci-fi than anything else - but what 12 year kid doesn't dream about having X-Ray vision at one time or another. That is ... until you've seen this!
Highroller,

I remember X very well. They don't show it too often anymore. It may be on Tubi.

Ray Milland really believed in his craft, and made the audience believe along with him.

Mr. Sardonicus was another good one. When he opened his father's grave to retrieve the lost lottery ticket, and the audience saw his fathers corpse, and then his Sardonic smile when he got back home to his wife.

We were all given a ''thumbs up'' sticker upon entry to the show. It glowed in the dark. At the end of the movie, we were asked to give a thumbs up or thumbs down as to whether Mr. Sardonicus could open his mouth, and be able to talk again.

It was all great stuff for us kids.

We had the ''Centre Theatre'' in St. Catharines Ontario, Saturday Matinee, twenty five cents to get in, and an additional quarter for popcorn and candy.

When House on Haunted Hill premiered, the theatre had a skeleton suspended above the audience that came out of an enclosure and traversed back and forth on a wire over our heads.

Man...that was a long time ago, late 1950's, when we were all little kids, and all was right with the world!!

BIB.

Sardonicus.jpg Sardonicus 2.jpg

Last edited:

MentalTossFlycoon

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2018
Texas
I got to stay up and watch the Zone with my Dad. I've got them memorized and still watch them. "The Hunt" with the old guy and his dog is a favorite---written by Erl Hamer who also wrote The Waltons. "To Serve Man" was another great one. It's funny how many twilight Zone stories were used in the Simpson's Halloween Treehouse of Horror stories.

Like Twilight Zone too. Favorites are "Steel" with Lee Marvin who steps in the Boxing ring to fight a Android Robot......Any episode with Burgess Merideth especially the one where he is determined to be obsolete and choses to have a bomb explosion in his room as his execution to be televised for the "state " to see.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Like Twilight Zone too. Favorites are "Steel" with Lee Marvin who steps in the Boxing ring to fight a Android Robot......Any episode with Burgess Merideth especially the one where he is determined to be obsolete and choses to have a bomb explosion in his room as his execution to be televised for the "state " to see.
Wasn’t he the in the one where he was the last guy on earth and all he wanted to do was read? I think he broke his glasses.

emgee254

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2020
California
House of Dark Shadows -- way creepier and bloodier than the soap opera. Spent the whole movie with my feet off the floor up on the theater seat!

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I was in 4th grade I think, about 9 years old. Got home from school and sat on the couch to watch the movie my Mom was watching. BIg mistake...the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
My Mom loved horror movies, I hated them. That movie really twisted my mind, I was sure that some of my teachers were pod people.

Things were so much different back then. A few years later we watched the very first episode of The Outer Limits and one of the local stations thought the monster was too frightening to show on family TV so went to a blank screen. Dad switched to another channel and we saw it, all the kids had nightmares for months.
Outer Limits.png

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I was a teenage werewolf
I was 7 or 8 I watched with mom and dad on Goulardi
Devastating the school bell the evil doctor Michael Landon we’re talking little Joe Cartwright
I couldn’t watch Ponderosa
Then I seen teenage werewolf when I was like 17 on superhost on a Saturday afternoon all good
Did someone say Ghoulardi???
ghoulardi-bw.jpg

I grew up in Warren, Ohio.

And I was pretty young when Mom dropped my brothers and I off at the theatre downtown, double bill both Teenage Werewolf and Teenage Frankenstein.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Did someone say Ghoulardi???
View attachment 186462

I grew up in Warren, Ohio.

And I was pretty young when Mom dropped my brothers and I off at the theatre downtown, double bill both Teenage Werewolf and Teenage Frankenstein.
The Cramps were obsessed with Ghoulardi.

Fun fact: He went on to be the voice of ABC and the announcer who said “The Love Boat”.
Also, his son is filmmaker maker Paul Thomas Anderson!