What movie/s scared the heck out of you when you were little?

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
The opening gets you right from the start maaan its brutal, esp for it’s day.
You’re so correct. It’s far more intense than most other American horror movies of it’s day.
Dan O’bannon, wrote it. He also wrote Alien and wrote and directed my 2nd favorite Zombie movie of all time, The Return of the Living Dead.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Poltergeist and “IT”. Yikes.

View attachment 185775
Seriously. As a kid for some reason we had a Ronald Mcdonald doll that had a hard head, hands and feet. My brother and I buried it in the closet because it was so freaking creepy. Then we were afraid to open the closet late at night. It in the 90s basically cemented my aversion to clowns. My son wants to watch the new It shows/movies. Never again!!!

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
“You’re so correct. It’s far more intense than most other American horror movies of it’s day.
Dan O’bannon, wrote it. He also wrote Alien and wrote and directed my 2nd favorite Zombie movie of all time, The Return of the Living Dead.”

Had no idea he wrote Alien, great film as well

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Had no idea he wrote Alien, great film as well
He was a strange and talented dude. I think he could have (and should have) been able to do more, but from what I’ve read about him, he was a very stubborn man, and pretty hard to get along with. At least hard to get along with to the people in suits that make decisions. Unfortinately he died of cancer some years back.

Jelly Roll Horton

Country Gent
Nov 10, 2017
Portland, OR
For me it was my big brother and sister taking little Rad, me, to the movies to see “House on Haunted Hill”. OMG, I had never seen a horror movie before, I hid behind the big loge seating in back of the theater….Are you old enough to remember those type of seats in the big theaters?

View attachment 185763
Same for me. That was a good one. And I saw it all by myself.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I grew up with an overly Catholic mother and anything supernatural was viewed with a hyper-critical lens. I once had to turn off an episode of Scooby-Doo because there was voodoo in it. Suffice it to say, I felt drawn to the forbidden and indulged. An early one that stands out at this moment was Wolfen. My parents were out and we had access to early cable TV without any parental controls. And that movie scared the bejesus out of me.

But I swear on my 6196T, that when a group of us ditched school to catch the first showing on Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2, we shared an otherwise empty theater with 3 mens who looked way too much like the characters in the movie seated a few rows in front of us. We didn't notice the resemblance at first but at some point right as it was about to start, they turned and looked at us. As the movie played out, we got more and more spooked and when it ended, we bolted out of the theater not daring to look back. It was an early afternoon showing and I was so glad it was daylight outside the theater. Oh, and this was in Texas where I grew up making it all the more spooky.

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
I loved horror films when I was growing up, and none of them really rocked my world. Then when I was in college, a group of us went to see "Suspiria." It was promoted as the ultimate horror movie . . . and they weren't wrong. I was seriously creeped out by that one for years. That's when I gave up watching horror films. I figured one day I was going to be a dad, and it just wouldn't be a good look if I was more afraid of the dark than my kids. :eek:
In most films, the music clues you into what will happen next, but in "Suspiria," nothing clued you into what was coming, so the shock was total.

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I loved horror films when I was growing up, and none of them really rocked my world. Then when I was in college, a group of us went to see "Suspiria." It was promoted as the ultimate horror movie . . . and they weren't wrong. I was seriously creeped out by that one for years. That's when I gave up watching horror films. I figured one day I was going to be a dad, and it just wouldn't be a good look if I was more afraid of the dark than my kids. :eek:
In most films, the music clues you into what will happen next, but in "Suspiria," nothing clued you into what was coming, so the shock was total.

Oh MAN!
Suspiria is an absolute masterpiece. Dario Argento has made several amazing films, but this one is just about perfect! Very few movies about witches can touch it. The soundtrack alone is legendary.
It’s awesome to hear from someone who saw it when it was new, and that it terrified you!
I watch this nearly every year around Halloween. I find something new and interesting every time I see it.

phrance

Electromatic
May 14, 2022
the Netherlands
Jaws! I saw the movie in theaters at the time. After the shark's first attack, I hoped it would be the last. At night before going to sleep I looked under my bed for days just to be sure.....

Edison

Electromatic
Mar 27, 2022
Ottawa, Illinois
I guess I was unlucky in that VHS came along when I was already well into my teens. Consequently, the chances of seeing anything unexpectedly inappropriate (be it sex or violence) were greatly diminished.

I do remember begging my parents to allow me to go to the theater to see The Exorcist when it was out, and they refused. .. I was 12 then, so probably the smart move.

However, when I was 5 my mom decided to take me to a matinee showing of 'The Ghost & Mr. Chicken'. The scene when Don Knotts spends the night in the Simmons mansion, complete with the chilling organ music, scared the living s#!t out of me. I was screaming to leave. In hindsight, I'm glad my mom calmed me down and we sat through the rest. It's still one of my favorite movies, to this day. Strong imprinting I guess.

.. yeah, sure it's a comedy, but when Don Knotts played scared, you believed it.
And I defy anyone to listen to Vic Mizzy's creepy organ music written for that movie and not get goosebumps.