What movie/s scared the heck out of you when you were little?

MentalTossFlycoon

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2018
Texas
Not a movie but a episode of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour called the Final Escape. A prisoner desperately is trying figure a way to escape prison. He befriends a older prisoner who is in charge digging graves for deceased prisoners in the prison grave yard. The old grave digger concocts a plan to get the prisoner out..........he will put the prisoner in a coffin and bury him in the grave yard and then after 20 minutes or so after the guards and other prisoners have left, the old grave digger will come back and dig the prisoner up and set him free. They show the prisoner in the coffin as they throw dirt on top of him buried 6ft under. The prisoner is looking at his watch anxious for the old grave digger to dig down and get him out. 10....15....20 minutes pass no sound of any digging and the prisoner running out of air. Finally the prisoner turns over and discovers there is another body in the coffin with him......the dead body of the old grave digger! I was about 8 or 9 years old when I saw this and couldn't sleep for days after watching it.

Last edited:

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
Not a movie but a episode of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour called the Final Escape. A prisoner desperately is trying figure a way to escape prison. He befriends a older prisoner who is in charge digging graves for deceased prisoners in the prison grave yard. The old grave digger concocts a plan to get the prisoner out..........he will put the prisoner in a coffin and bury him in the grave yard and then after 20 minutes or so after the guards and other prisoners have left, the old grave digger will come back and dig the prisoner up and set him free. They show the prisoner in the coffin as they throw dirt on top of him buried 6ft under. The prisoner is looking at his watch anxious the the old grave digger to dig down and get him out. 10....15....20 minutes pass no sound of any digging and the prisoner running out of air. Finally the prisoner turns over and discovers there is another body in the coffin with him......the dead body of the old grave digger! I was about 8 or 9 years old when I saw this and couldn't sleep for days after watching it.
Reminds me very much of Poe's "The Premature Burial", but Poe's had a happier ending...

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
For me it was my big brother and sister taking little Rad, me, to the movies to see “House on Haunted Hill”. OMG, I had never seen a horror movie before, I hid behind the big loge seating in back of the theater….Are you old enough to remember those type of seats in the big theaters?

View attachment 185763
My folks would give my brother a couple of bucks on a Saturday and send us downtown to the movies. We'd take the bus, get a load of soda and candy, and watch a couple of movies and a handful of cartoons. Seeing "House" and others didn't bother me too much, but my little brother didn't sleep for a week after that and "The Tingler".

Many years later, my brother was doing major roof work on the same old theater we'd go to. What a dump! The seats were hard as rock, and the place was much smaller than I remembered, tho it still held 2K. I do miss those old grand movie houses. The multiplex at the mall just isn't the same.

Loved the Vincent Price/E.A. Poe stuff. "Masque of the Red Death" is an all-time favorite. Grandson and I watch a lot of these on Svengoolie Saturday eves.

Shock

Synchromatic
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
When I was a kid, we would run home from school to catch Dark Shadows. It was a soap opera. Full of ghosts, witches, vampires, distressed damsels, werewolves, and even a home-made monster. Seances, time travel, you name it, and they did it. They also did a couple of movies.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Radwife and I just talked about that episode. We both loved it.
I got to stay up and watch the Zone with my Dad. I've got them memorized and still watch them. "The Hunt" with the old guy and his dog is a favorite---written by Erl Hamer who also wrote The Waltons. "To Serve Man" was another great one. It's funny how many twilight Zone stories were used in the Simpson's Halloween Treehouse of Horror stories.

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Silver Member
Dec 7, 2011
United States
View attachment 185771
Y’all got most of them Lady Elaine Fairchild or whatever from Mr. Rogers WTH?!!?. Also the Oompa Loompas made me feel very uneasy.
The first Halloween nearly scared me out of my mind.
The worst though was reading The Amityville Horror at home alone when I was about 11. Not cool.
Grew up with Stephen King books,, was a freak for all things scary,, read Amittyville,,, that was def scary..

5120mantis

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2011
nj
I had recurring nightmares about the creature from the black lagoon when I was a kid, though I grew to love the film, but it traumatized me that some years ago I was at a horror convention, Ricou Browning who did the underwater stunts for the film was there and it took me a few minutes to speak to him.
And Gremlins.
A few mentioned Jaws.
That's my favorite movie, I LOVE when people say the shark looks fake (and ok it does)
But my response is, well let's watch it then go swim in the ocean. No one has taken me up on that yet.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Gotta check that out!
It’s as intense as can be. Shows the days leading up, and during a nuclear holocaust, but it doesn’t stop there. It shows the days, weeks, months, and years of nuclear winter that follow.
The hopelessness and futility of it all is heartbreaking and terrifying. It’s insane!

Last edited:

Latest posts