What Is The Holy Grail Guitar?

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I’m a Strat loser so make mine a pre-CBS in Ocean Turquoise please. There’s just about nothing a Strat can’t do.

Of course there’s a similar case to be made for the telecaster…sometimes I think that I actually sound better on a Tele.

I'm just wondering exactly how many Strats you have lost so far, and are their shots and tags up-to-date, in case they are found? ;)

I can hear it now... "Mom! somebody left the gate to the backyard open again, and another Strat got out... "

Better not let @thunder58 hear about this... he's got animal control experience, and I'm sure he just love to pick up a few stray Strats wandering the neighborhood.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
I'm just wondering exactly how many Strats you have lost so far, and are their shots and tags up-to-date, in case they are found? ;)

I can hear it now... "Mom! somebody left the gate to the backyard open again, and another Strat got out... "

Better not let @thunder58 hear about this... he's got animal control experience, and I'm sure he just love to pick up a few stray Strats wandering the neighborhood.
the Feral Strats…there’s a band name fire a🤓

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
For me, the grail models aren’t necessarily the top of the line. I really don’t want a Falcon. The Smoke is awesome, but I do wish there was a poly finish version of it (similar in gloss level, slightly below glossy but not satin).

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
For me, the grail models aren’t necessarily the top of the line. I really don’t want a Falcon. The Smoke is awesome, but I do wish there was a poly finish version of it (similar in gloss level, slightly below glossy but not satin).
I thought all gretsch have some poly on em. Maybe ask the members here is buffing would bring a little gloss.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
I thought all gretsch have some poly on em. Maybe ask the members here is buffing would bring a little gloss
I don’t want to change the gloss level. I was trying to say (poorly) that I wish the Smoke was available with the durability of poly, but with the same stain color and gloss level (not quite glossy, not quite satin) as the nitro finish.

Some love the fragility of nitro. I love the durability of thinly-applied cross-linked finishes.

Last edited:

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
guitarheroes_53_L.jpg

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
If you only could own one guitar, only one, and you could choose any guitar, expensive, cheap, new, old, whatever you want, then that one single choice would be “your” Holy Grail guitar, and it would be different for every one.

This thread has some interesting choices.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
If you only could own one guitar, only one, and you could choose any guitar, expensive, cheap, new, old, whatever you want, then that one single choice would be “your” Holy Grail guitar, and it would be different for every one.

This thread has some interesting choices.

Well then, it would be a short-scale Stratocaster in Torino Red with Seymour Duncan single coils in the neck and middle. And some wild bridge humbucker than can really get nasty sounding.

The short scale neck would have a dark rosewood or ebony fretboard with jumbo stainless steel frets. But the guitar could cost whatever it needs to. Wouldn’t have to be pricey.

Something like this, minus the Floyd Rose.
Heck, maybe I just want this guitar 🎸 🤷🏻‍♂️

*edit*

There could never be just one. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Attachments

• 90CECF0F-50DC-4991-BCD9-01B5C3497E7A.jpeg
    90CECF0F-50DC-4991-BCD9-01B5C3497E7A.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 7

All Thumbs

Gretschie
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas
That’s a loaded question, Lou.

In one sense, I have the Holy Grail, as I would have identified it in my early years; I have a close replica of Chet Atkins’ single cutaway Country Gentleman. And, it is an excellent guitar. Basically, the body is the size of a Byrdland, but it has a long scale, and Filtertron-family pickups.

But that was my Holy Grail, at an early stage in my playing. Later on, my Holy Grail was a Johnny Smith, and I had one, for a while. It was an impressive guitar, but not practical in the real world of feedback. For Jazz settings, it was ok, but almost anything else was going to result in almost uncontrollable feedback.

Perhaps the best guitar I’ve ever owned is a Guild T-400, in that it has some of the character of a fine archtop, but it’s in a useful package. Once again, it’s sort of like a Byrdland, although only 2” deep, and has a long scale. It’s good for almost any kind of music, and the Guild Mini Humbuckers give it a sound palette that gets close to Gibson Jazz sounds, and yet can sound much like a Gretsch.

As far as aspirational guitars, I would have to say an L-5 CT; the George Gobel L-5. Once again, the same sized body as a Byrdland, but with an available long scale. I played an acoustic L-5 CT, about 20 years ago, and regret not buying it. That instrument, with a Johny Smith pickup, would be about perfect for my tastes. As such, it would be a bespoke Jazz axe, and nothing more or less.

Sorry, not a Gretsch, but with four Pro Series, I’d still have plenty of those to play.
You don't hear the name George Gobel much these days. I loved that guy when I was a kid.

You'll have to bring your own pickup. https://reverb.com/item/56848643-gi...in-a-see-thru-cherry-red-w-billy-gibbons-ties