What Is The Holy Grail Guitar?

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit
...Even tho they had the same pickups, the slimmer and lighter SGs were far outselling the older LPs....

The real reason the SG outsold the LP was its low price. The SG, Gibson's "Fender Fighter", was priced to match the Fender Stratocaster which was half the price of the Les Paul. "That Fender guy with his slapped together planks" was beating sales off Gibson's LP by a wide margin and they were frightened. The cobbled together SG design gave players humbuckers to cut noise over the Fender single coils -- a performance enhancement to sweeten the deal. Of course the SG sold more than the LP. Gibson could have priced the LP the same as the Strat and Tele and sold those like crazy too, but the LP was built with a lot of waste (a standard board length gives an even number of Tele bodies, while the same board leaves a wasted half to two thirds of an LP body).

All the famous guitars became famous because the model was out of favor when found cheap in pawn shops the world around by players with no money who would one day be famous, dragging their guitar with them up the charts. These days of average to pro players having a fleet of guitars never get associated with any particular model like the old days:

LPs: Zeppelin and The Who
SGs: ACDC and The Who
Strats: Hendrix and Clapton (then later EVH's FrankenStrat was put together from scrap non-Fender parts, rattle can painted and relic'd ... and almost put Gibson and Fender out of business)
Teles: Many ... Indie and punk bands found them when still associated with Old Country.
Jaguars/Mustangs: Cobain/Nirvana
Jazzmasters: J Mascis (he didn't have money for the Strat at the music store, but did for the unwanted Jazzmaster)

There was a behind the scenes video on youtube where Gibson gave Elvis an SG to play in some surf movie he was doing at the time. You can see Elvis' face reveal his immediate opinion "this is not a guitar anyone wants to be playing". He played it because that was the deal Gibson made with the movie producers. But that look on his face was telling.

Price of a guitar new and later pawn-shop-used will set the stage for future fame of that guitar.

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
The real reason the SG outsold the LP was its low price. The SG, Gibson's "Fender Fighter", was priced to match the Fender Stratocaster which was half the price of the Les Paul. "That Fender guy with his slapped together planks" was beating sales off Gibson's LP by a wide margin and they were frightened. The cobbled together SG design gave players humbuckers to cut noise over the Fender single coils -- a performance enhancement to sweeten the deal. Of course the SG sold more than the LP. Gibson could have priced the LP the same as the Strat and Tele and sold those like crazy too, but the LP was built with a lot of waste (a standard board length gives an even number of Tele bodies, while the same board leaves a wasted half to two thirds of an LP body).

All the famous guitars became famous because the model was out of favor when found cheap in pawn shops the world around by players with no money who would one day be famous, dragging their guitar with them up the charts. These days of average to pro players having a fleet of guitars never get associated with any particular model like the old days:

LPs: Zeppelin and The Who
SGs: ACDC and The Who
Strats: Hendrix and Clapton (then later EVH's FrankenStrat was put together from scrap non-Fender parts, rattle can painted and relic'd ... and almost put Gibson and Fender out of business)
Teles: Many ... Indie and punk bands found them when still associated with Old Country.
Jaguars/Mustangs: Cobain/Nirvana
Jazzmasters: J Mascis (he didn't have money for the Strat at the music store, but did for the unwanted Jazzmaster)

There was a behind the scenes video on youtube where Gibson gave Elvis an SG to play in some surf movie he was doing at the time. You can see Elvis' face reveal his immediate opinion "this is not a guitar anyone wants to be playing". He played it because that was the deal Gibson made with the movie producers. But that look on his face was telling.

Price of a guitar new and later pawn-shop-used will set the stage for future fame of that guitar.
A lot of it just boils down to the price.

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I already have my grail... we get along just fine.

AbwF8Yq.jpg

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
Holy Grail? A Seder plate, Passover dish? Maybe. Maybe it’s real but it’s the stuff of legend. Holy Grail guitar? I’m not so sure there’s a single guitar any of us could agree on.

Are there guitars that rise above? Certainly. I have a CS ‘69 Strat but I can’t see it as the grail. Are there guitars that really rise above? Some of us are fortunate enough to have one. Most are Uber expensive. Some have unusual provenance. My Gibson SG is one that rises way above. I bought it cheap used. It started out as a Robot, auto tuning done badly. But the body and finish were great. Gibson tuners in place of the robot tuners and a normal control set. I loved the look. It played exceptionally well with its easy scale length and chunky neck. It just escaped disposal on CL. The pickups were dull, dark, and muddy. How does that rise above?

I replaced the lifeless buckers with TV Jones Classic and Classic Plus pickups in drop in humbucker mounts. Amazing. The grail? I’m not a believer but the sound is beyond what I could have imagined.

17F9D8EE-B66A-4BB9-A848-B8557500EA51.jpeg

Sorry about a previously posted pic. I have my Gretsch Annie out now. I’ll take more pics next week just in case.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
The original Reverb listing said this was the holy grail. I put this guitar on the highest pedestal of my mental list and tortured myself for a year, just waiting for the right price…but then it happened.

If a guitar can make me, someone who’s never taken any real lessons, sound good…

Well it gets my vote! 😍 🎸 🥇 🏆

Attachments

• DCA46673-7E2C-48A3-9E0C-9DF3B9B8DCA4.jpeg
    DCA46673-7E2C-48A3-9E0C-9DF3B9B8DCA4.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 18

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
I’m a Strat loser so make mine a pre-CBS in Ocean Turquoise please. There’s just about nothing a Strat can’t do.

Of course there’s a similar case to be made for the telecaster…sometimes I think that I actually sound better on a Tele.

Latest posts