What is the Great Gretsch Sound to you?

Viking Power

Synchromatic
Jun 11, 2018
Mountlake Terrace, WA
So armed with all this research I've refined an original of mine. It's not a brand new song as our band has been playing it for a bit but I've "Gretschified" it some more after hearing much of the above. This is a rough new recording done today without the Strat, Gibson and drums that usually accompany it but this is an example of the direction yours truly aims to take the Great Gretsch Sound to the hat full of people who watch us :).

Song Title - Through snakes eyes.

The further Gretschified ‘cowboy n cactuses’ tune written to illustrate how the Transcontinental Railroad workers of the Central Pacific Railroad Co may have felt after slowly and precariously blasting their way through the Rocky Mountains and only then working toward an arid, desert rise of 7000 feet to the Sierra Nevada in the late 1860s.

Lyric written as a warning about choosing a woman of the night wisely. The brutal mortality rate left by virtually experimental nitro-glycerine use, left many a widow who needed to feed her family any way she could. Many of these women forced into prostitution, were beautiful, exotic Asian woman and widows of the most persecuted workers from China and Japan where famine was rife. Many of these women had sailed to California in search of hope and food, spoke little if any English, lost their husband in one of the hundreds of tunnelling accidents and rightly had a score to settle with anyone she deemed responsible for her situation.

I’m a fan. Very cool man.

OzzPocket

Synchromatic
Aug 11, 2020
NYS
When growing up, I probably heard a ton of Gretsch's being played on songs....but I didn't know enough to realize it....and it wasn't until around 1981 or 82 that I SAW my first Gretsch from a band I immediately idolized (Stray Cats).....so for me, "The Great Gretsch Sound" always equated to something like this: (And now, I also know of a lot of other "Great Sounds" they make...but it was this that was the eye opener...

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
When growing up, I probably heard a ton of Gretsch's being played on songs....but I didn't know enough to realize it....and it wasn't until around 1981 or 82 that I SAW my first Gretsch from a band I immediately idolized (Stray Cats).....so for me, "The Great Gretsch Sound" always equated to something like this: (And now, I also know of a lot of other "Great Sounds" they make...but it was this that was the eye opener...
That is a great sound. He’s one of the best players I’ve heard in years, and what he’s doing wouldn’t work half as well without the sound of that Gretsch. If you listen to his guitar part, he covers a wide spectrum, from bright and twangy down to lows are solid as a rock.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
people don't want to hear this around here but for me it's the blacktops in electromatics, they are by far my favorite pickups in any guitar! I've recently been without them as I had to sell my ltd Broadway jade electromatic a while back, I never got over that loss until now.... View attachment 184345
That's awesome, where did that model and colour come from?

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
When growing up, I probably heard a ton of Gretsch's being played on songs....but I didn't know enough to realize it....and it wasn't until around 1981 or 82 that I SAW my first Gretsch from a band I immediately idolized (Stray Cats).....so for me...
I always think of the Beatles as having turned me on to Gretsch, but in a sense it was really Setzer. Literally my very first memory of being cognizant of music was hearing "Stray Cat Strut". I would have been in first grade. I didn't own the record and wouldn't have MTV until several years later, so I didn't know it was a big orange Gretsch. That and "Rock This Town" were the only contemporary songs of my youth that I ever really liked. So it would seem that from the very beginning, That Great Gretsch Sound held a unique appeal for me.