What is the Great Gretsch Sound to you?

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
I can describe that great Gretsch sound. I can’t put sound into words. But I put away a Stratocaster this morning. The Ultra noiseless pickups always sound great to me. I can always find a pickup or combination that works but I wasn’t finding perfect. I brought up my 6118T Anniversary, plugged it in, selected equalizer memory 1 and there was my sound. THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND. There’s nothing else like it. I blend pickups, a little more neck finger style, a little more bridge with a pick. No delay with finger style. It’s there. THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND. It’s not about words anyway. It’s all about THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I can describe that great Gretsch sound. I can’t put sound into words. But I put away a Stratocaster this morning. The Ultra noiseless pickups always sound great to me. I can always find a pickup or combination that works but I wasn’t finding perfect. I brought up my 6118T Anniversary, plugged it in, selected equalizer memory 1 and there was my sound. THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND. There’s nothing else like it. I blend pickups, a little more neck finger style, a little more bridge with a pick. No delay with finger style. It’s there. THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND. It’s not about words anyway. It’s all about THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND.
That mirrors an experience I had. I like to play Surf, and I tried a Jaguar. Jaguars have a great, natural Surf sound, there’s no denying it. One day, I was Surfing out on my Jag’ and having a grand time of it, then I put my Jaguar away, but before I shut down the amp, I just happened to grab my Tennessean, and plugged it into the same rig. The sound was just so good, that I was taken aback. No, it wasn’t the classic 1962 sound, it was richer, but still plenty bright. It’s just such an amazing sound.

Jalexander

Electromatic
May 3, 2022
Canada
Coming from a Tele into a Super Reverb, I thought the Gretsch sound was this big, woody, boomy sound that I’d get through a 6120. Turns out I was wrong. Any Filtertron guitar I bought sounded great, but was so much brighter than the sound I had in my head.

Then I bought a Dr Z Maz Jr, and I was instantly so much closer. Later, I pounced on a local deal for a 6117HT and there it was. Hilotrons through an EL-84 amp. That hollow, woody sound with a bit of snap around it.

As a reference point, see Greg Keelor’s work on Blue Rodeo’s Diamond Mine album.

Horse Nation

Gretschie
Jun 7, 2022
new york
One of my all-time favorite guitar tones is Billy Duffy's White Falcon. His best moment is this tune "Christians." What makes it so great is that it is live. I've seen the band live and, no studio tricks, this is his sound:

Just give the first 25 seconds a listen. I've been listening to this for over thirty years and it still blows me away.

The Cult at the peak of their mighty powers...and Duffy's Gretsch never sounded better:

Chmason85

Synchromatic
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
The great Gretsch sound to me is versatility, there are so many great Gretsch sounds. I love X, Rev, cramps, Setzer and countless others that play Gretsch guitars. I’d say they all have different tones but they’re also uniquely Gretsch.

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
It
One of my all-time favorite guitar tones is Billy Duffy's White Falcon. His best moment is this tune "Christians." What makes it so great is that it is live. I've seen the band live and, no studio tricks, this is his sound:

Just give the first 25 seconds a listen. I've been listening to this for over thirty years and it still blows me away.

The Cult at the peak of their mighty powers...and Duffy's Gretsch never sounded better:

It never ceases to amaze me how much of that 80s postpunk sound was Gretsches into a Roland Jazz Chorus. Theatre of Hate, The Cult, Bow Wow Wow, Aztec Camera, Orange Juice, the list goes on and on.

Speaking of Aztec Camera, I think this is a very underrated track from Roddy's disappointing middle career:

Edit: Autocorrect strikes again.

Last edited: