WELL ! I've never heard of such a thing .....

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
Very enjoyable, I would prefer to spend 3 minutes apply nut lube, or spend ten minutes filing the nut. But if it works for him more power to him, I can only hope that he never lends his guitar to someone who tries to dive bomb it.

I do appreciate the heads up, so if I find a weird crack in the top, I can guess how it happened.

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
If your spring breaks and the arm is flapping around, problem solved until you get a new spring.
If your spring breaks you might want to consider going a bit easier on the Bigsby dive bombing or consider a career as an arm wrestler! For the life of me i cant imagine why someone who doesnt use their Bigsby needs to render it useless.

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't do it, but it isn't necessarily a bad idea. Locking the Bigsby will make string-bends easier. It takes more effort to bend strings on a Bigsby-equipped guitar, because some of the effort goes into compressing the spring. I find it noticeably easier to bend strings on my one hardtail guitar.

If you don't want to use the Bigsby, and you don't want to modify the guitar by replacing the tailpiece, this isn't a bad solution.

Not that I'd ever take the springs out of my own Bigsbys. They're too much fun to use!

Last edited:

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
If a player doesn't (ever) want to use the Bigsby vibrato on their Gretsch guitar, they should replace it with a static tailpiece, instead of using a disarmed Bigsby purely as a decoration.

I have thought of removing the Bigsby on the 6659, but the main issue is each model Bigsby and tail piece has different holes that don’t match up. I’m all for non-permanent mods. o_O

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
A bit rudimental but I get why you'd want to do it, it's a cheap fix to lock the bigsby out, solves the problem of other strings going flat while bending one string and other trem issues that are there, I like hardtails on my jets as I'd prefer the feel for the songs I would use them so this would be a way to block it out, probably would do it a bit better then that though..

I guess this way is a way to do it with out changing a guitar in case you want to move it on in the future.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I wouldn't do it, but it isn't necessarily a bad idea. Locking the Bigsby will make string-bends easier. It takes more effort to bend strings on a Bigsby-equipped guitar, because some of the effort goes into compressing the spring. I find it noticeably easier to bend strings on my one hardtail guitar.

If you don't want to use the Bigsby, and you don't want to modify the guitar by replacing the tailpiece, this isn't a bad solution.

Not that I'd ever take the springs out of my own Bigsbys. They're too much fun to use!

I actually like how bending a string(on a trem guitar) will cause a note to “dip” for a millisec, and you sort of have to bend through. It all adds to the dynamics, like trem flutter.