Weather apps

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I have been using dark sky they also had a nice widget for my garmin watch. Sadly they were bought out by Apple back in 2020. I received the email today that as of 2023 it will be gone and everything that was darksky has been integrated into the apple weather app. Great right? Nope tonget this you have to pay a 59.99 yearly subscription. You know what I have to say? They can kiss my butt! I’ll do without before I give them 60$ to get the privledge to use that info for a year! Apple you are quickly losing a person who has been a dedicated fan since almosntheir beginning!

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I have been using dark sky they also had a nice widget for my garmin watch. Sadly they were bought out by Apple back in 2020. I received the email today that as of 2023 it will be gone and everything that was darksky has been integrated into the apple weather app. Great right? Nope tonget this you have to pay a 59.99 yearly subscription. You know what I have to say? They can kiss my butt! I’ll do without before I give them 60$ to get the privledge to use that info for a year! Apple you are quickly losing a person who has been a dedicated fan since almosntheir beginning!
That’s ridiculous. I could see 5 or 10 dollars, but 60?!?! I’ve used Apple for years, but their conscience left when Jobs died.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
You can still use the basic version but to get what I had with DarkSky, yea I don’t think so. There is a such a big susbscription trend I just got to the point I refuse To pay. I did with out subscriptions in the past and I certainly can moving forward.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
You can still use the basic version but to get what I had with DarkSky, yea I don’t think so. There is a such a big susbscription trend I just got to the point I refuse To pay. I did with out subscriptions in the past and I certainly can moving forward.
Those low priced subscriptions add up, quickly.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Those low priced subscriptions add up, quickly.
Very fast. I didn’t mind early on paying .99 for an app but then came add and it was anywhere from a couple bucks to triple to go premium and eliminate adds. Then premium content for you more of the same and next, subscriptions. Didn’t seem to terrible at a few Buck a month but then another app wanted it and another and another. I just stopped. I can find other ways to entertain myself. I do buy content from time to time on some of my synth apps but once it is purchased it is mine and when they go to subscriptions I stop and use what I have until it isn’t supported anymore. I stick with hardware that doesn’t need to have a subscription. Heck I bought a major pipe organ program years ago then they added upgrade charges for new OS updates. It came to a point where my old program just doesn’t work. 600$ shot, what a waste but lesson learned. I’m even Leary of hardware now because as fast as computer tech changes my hardware will eventually break and be unrepairable. What a shame! Some day I will build a bottle organ or calliope and be happy with old school mechanical marvels.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Weather Channel, local TV stations, and the NWS all have free info.
Only issue I have with the Weather Channel is that their "Local on the 8s" only run at :18 and :48 minutes after the hour. They don't run late at night which would be nice to have when a storm is coming thru. At least the local weather guy does his "Sky is Falling!!!" impression then.

In the early days of cable TV, you got the temp and wind direction only.
Before that it was time and temp on the phone.

As the apps add up their charges, remember that TV is doing the same thing and charging even more. Cable has gone from $15/month back in the '80s to over $100 for basic service, and then premium channels go up even more.

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
I Google "Fremont weather". Gives me 10 day forecast for free.

BTW apple a really sucky place to work. Never been a fan, never had any if their products.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
When I was pre teen and teen at home I got real good at telling when it was going to rain and if there would be tornado warnings. I could literally sense the barometer and something else.

I liked using DarkSky and the basic weather program and radar because at 0400 I might be at home but by noon be 600 miles and the opposite side of the neighboring state away. Some of our states could house several European countries. I could have 70 degree weather in one place and ice storms in another. These apps really made my travels easier provided my services were in dire need. Then I just had to drive theough it but in most case my entire week could be changed to take advantage of the best weather. I can remember driving between three different tornadoes, no way around it. Since these apps became available they have saved me some serious weather driving. I have skated death and serious injury so many times the odds at some point won’t be in my favor so using a good app is like hedging a bet. But now I’ll be back to the basics again because I’m to stubborn to pay and app subscription.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I Google "Fremont weather". Gives me 10 day forecast for free.

BTW apple a really sucky place to work. Never been a fan, never had any if their products.
I used to apple products from the day they released them. so much easier for my brain to trouble shoot. I hate working with PC windows products anymore even though I have to my personal is a 2016 maxed out Mac book pro. I love that machine. But every company is in the subscription bandwagon and I just won’t play that game.

Funny about apple and working there. I know several who have tech jobs at apple they love it. Seems to be a lot of red tape and they really had to prove their abilities to get hired. I suppose job satisfaction has a lot to do with location and roles as well.

I have been tempted to start teaching myself c++ and start working in Xcode to design an app but that would be a long road seeing as how I haven’t done anything like that since DOS in the very early ‘80s.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Very fast. I didn’t mind early on paying .99 for an app but then came add and it was anywhere from a couple bucks to triple to go premium and eliminate adds. Then premium content for you more of the same and next, subscriptions. Didn’t seem to terrible at a few Buck a month but then another app wanted it and another and another. I just stopped. I can find other ways to entertain myself. I do buy content from time to time on some of my synth apps but once it is purchased it is mine and when they go to subscriptions I stop and use what I have until it isn’t supported anymore. I stick with hardware that doesn’t need to have a subscription. Heck I bought a major pipe organ program years ago then they added upgrade charges for new OS updates. It came to a point where my old program just doesn’t work. 600$ shot, what a waste but lesson learned. I’m even Leary of hardware now because as fast as computer tech changes my hardware will eventually break and be unrepairable. What a shame! Some day I will build a bottle organ or calliope and be happy with old school mechanical marvels.
The computer age has proven to be the perfect way to force obsolescence on consumers. It’s ok, I can live without most of this garbage.
Only issue I have with the Weather Channel is that their "Local on the 8s" only run at :18 and :48 minutes after the hour. They don't run late at night which would be nice to have when a storm is coming thru. At least the local weather guy does his "Sky is Falling!!!" impression then.

As the apps add up their charges, remember that TV is doing the same thing and charging even more. Cable has gone from $15/month back in the '80s to over $100 for basic service, and then premium channels go up even more.
It’s unbelievable. I cancelled my Dish Network subscription 15 years ago, when I got sick of paying $60 per month to be inundated with political ads, with a few minutes of content in between. When I quit, no kidding, the first thing they did was to ask if I’d like to pay them $5.00 a month, just to keep my account open. Why would I do that?! They would give a recording device to new subscribers, for free, but for existing subscribers, they would offer to keep charging me for nothing.

Runamok

Country Gent
I used to apple products from the day they released them. so much easier for my brain to trouble shoot. I hate working with PC windows products anymore even though I have to my personal is a 2016 maxed out Mac book pro. I love that machine. But every company is in the subscription bandwagon and I just won’t play that game.

Funny about apple and working there. I know several who have tech jobs at apple they love it. Seems to be a lot of red tape and they really had to prove their abilities to get hired. I suppose job satisfaction has a lot to do with location and roles as well.

I have been tempted to start teaching myself c++ and start working in Xcode to design an app but that would be a long road seeing as how I haven’t done anything like that since DOS in the very early ‘80s.
The application engineers, computer scientists I know about — love working at Apple. As an end-user I can’t say I like some of their choices.

I shoulda bought stock when it was $13.

Whenever markets grow tight, it comes down to acquisition & lawsuits. It happens every time there is a slowdown. In all sorts of industries.

This “subscription” business has been in the works for a decade. Everything is a la carte now, at a recurring price—a new pound of flesh. Adobe has been at it for a decade.

XCode & Swift manuals free in the bookstore.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
The computer age has proven to be the perfect way to force obsolescence on consumers. It’s ok, I can live without most of this garbage.

It’s unbelievable. I cancelled my Dish Network subscription 15 years ago, when I got sick of paying $60 per month to be inundated with political ads, with a few minutes of content in between. When I quit, no kidding, the first thing they did was to ask if I’d like to pay them $5.00 a month, just to keep my account open. Why would I do that?! They would give a recording device to new subscribers, for free, but for existing subscribers, they would offer to keep charging me for nothing.
I had direct tv but my mom only watched a couple shows on it. I finally cancelled it. I had it throttled back to basic 5 years earlier and every year there was a price hike until my basic cost as much as my everything had. When I cancelled it was costing me about 120$ a month, what a rip off. With Amazon prime and my moms newer big smart tv she got all kinds of shows she liked and it cost me 100$ a year for prime. That’s under 10$ a month Not counting the free shipping from Amazon. I lie to shop local but my wife doesn’t want to haul her butt out of her chair. So it still saves me a bunch!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
The application engineers, computer scientists I know about — love working at Apple. As an end-user I can’t say I like some of their choices.

Whenever markets grow tight, it comes down to acquisition & lawsuits. It happens every time there is a slowdown. In all sorts of industries.

This “subscription” business has been in the works for a decade. Everything is a la carte now, at a recurring price—a new pound of flesh. Adobe has been at it for a decade.
Yep don’t get me started on adobe. I spent the 49.99 each for affinity designer, affinity photo, and affinity publisher. I use Designer for my svg creation to use in shaper origin. Shaper origin is releasing their own subscription online program to creat svg from which for some will make sense because it is designed to be plug and play with their shaper origin router. But I won’t pay the subscription even if it’s ten bucks a year. I have been learning affinty deaigner for six months now. I don’t get to use it everyday so it’s slow going but a very feature packed program that does everything I would use adobe products for at a fraction of the price.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson

Mac OS is built on Unix, which I like much better than the Windows platform. Four years ago, I quit my job as the head of an IT department, in great part, because I was tired of coaxing Microsoft products to do their job, not to mention all the time that advertised new features didn’t work until the dot-one update. I have some tangential involvement with servers, these days, managing DHCP and using NPS for RADIUS, but little more.

A month or so back, I had a real hassle, because an update dropped my RADIUS server to its knees. I was working on other tasks, and needed wireless, because I was working in different locations in a 35,000 square foot building, but couldn’t get on the secured WiFi reliably. A two hour job turned into a seven hour job, for no other reason than that Microsoft‘s update failed and crippled a server.

If this had happened in a dealing with any other vendor, they would have gotten a back charge for my time, but MS is untouchable. They have immense power over commerce, defense and private citizens, whom use their products. I always used to take their side, but these days, I have no trust for them.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota

I remember dialing, yep a rotary dial on a party line, to get the weather. Hahhaha as a kid I thought that was a kick! There was even a number to get the actual time to make sure your clock was correct.

Runamok

Country Gent
I had direct tv but my mom only watched a couple shows on it. I finally cancelled it. I had it throttled back to basic 5 years earlier and every year there was a price hike until my basic cost as much as my everything had. When I cancelled it was costing me about 120$ a month, what a rip off. With Amazon prime and my moms newer big smart tv she got all kinds of shows she liked and it cost me 100$ a year for prime. That’s under 10$ a month Not counting the free shipping from Amazon. I lie to shop local but my wife doesn’t want to haul her butt out of her chair. So it still saves me a bunch!
Yep don’t get me started on adobe. I spent the 49.99 each for affinity designer, affinity photo, and affinity publisher. I use Designer for my svg creation to use in shaper origin. Shaper origin is releasing their own subscription online program to creat svg from which for some will make sense because it is designed to be plug and play with their shaper origin router. But I won’t pay the subscription even if it’s ten bucks a year. I have been learning affinty deaigner for six months now. I don’t get to use it everyday so it’s slow going but a very feature packed program that does everything I would use adobe products for at a fraction of the price.
Consider that cable services, tv channels are all going streaming for extra fees. Elon Must has his satellites & service, too.

I have the Affinity suite. Just never warmed to it & their methodology after years of Adobe products (still the best).

3 Affinity products went for half price periodically. Reminds me a little of Freehand as a different methodology, though Freehand was more intuitive & in its time—simpler.

There are other cheap options for conversion to svg, if you are converting vs building with splines. Essentially, an analog of what used to be Streamline / autotrace.

And more to my acquisition point: Adobe absorbed Macromedia & Ray Dream, Autodesk/Autocad ate Fractal Design & the Illustrator draw analog renamed as Graphic. Microsoft ate up… what’s-it-called part of Silicon Graphics.

Last edited:

speedicut

Friend of Fred
Jun 5, 2012
Alabama
They all will screw a loyal customer if they can...
I was a loyal DirecTV customer for twenty years. I put a hold on my account because I wasn't really using it except for NFL Sunday Ticket and the subscription for that got out of hand. Plus, I was in a phase where I wasn't watching TV much at all.

About a year later I got a bill for over $100. I called them up to see what that was about and they said they can only put an account on hold for a year - - they had started mine back up a week earlier. They said I could put it back on hold since it started up again and they would prorated my bill down to $10.
I said fine but they wanted me to send them the $100+ and they would send me the balance as a GIFT CARD!!!
I was livid and told them to delete my account and I was going to mail them a check for the ten bucks. They pretty much pleaded with me to remain a customer since I was with them for so long lol. They were hemmoraging customers at the time but treated them like crap.
I told them to never contact me again...

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
When I was working we had what was called "Internal Commerce". The data center was supposed to charge the network division for housing the switches, as well as each business department for the servers they used, facilities was supposed to charge the data center for electricity and air conditioning and so on and so on. Luckily the site's VP realized that we would spend a lot of time figuring out who owns who in internal funny money and declared that nonsense. I did offer to charge for the 1s and give the zeros for free though.