Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
MNST11.jpg
Oooh! Matching dew rags!

Winnie Thomas

Synchromatic
Jun 13, 2011
Cochise AZ
Outside the house, I wear shorts only if I’m playing sports or if I’m walking to the beach (or the swimming pool).
Showing up in shorts on stage it would mean your last gig with me, it doesn’t matter how you play.
No shorts, no bare feet, no flip flops, no Hawaiian shirts. The Golden Rules. Rock’n’roll is a serious matter. :)
no Hawaiian shirts! I don't agree on this one. It depends on the venue.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I'm genuinely surprised at how conservative so many people's attitudes are around what you should look like playing rock music.

Is this a USA cultural thing? I'm a Brit, and I really don't get it. You're supposed to be pushing the creative boundaries, not going for a job interview.
I don't know if it's USA thing, but I think it's definitely a hang-up that that musicians seem to impose on themselves. I've mentioned it to my wife on occasion and she thinks it's hilarious. I suspect most non-musicians would be surprised that it's such a commonly and firmly held belief and feel much like Zeek about it...
I have gone to many many shows and have said many times I hope they play my favorite song ....
I have never said ....
I hope they are dressed nice.
It's a good point. I don't think I've ever given much thought to what anybody wears on stage when I'm in the audience.

Runamok

Country Gent
I'm genuinely surprised at how conservative so many people's attitudes are around what you should look like playing rock music.

Is this a USA cultural thing? I'm a Brit, and I really don't get it. You're supposed to be pushing the creative boundaries, not going for a job interview.
😆 Not everyone appears to be joking. Boredom?
Too much free time.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
It’s all good. The same way I picked up from the bands I liked some of their guitar techniques or their stage antics, the same I did for get dressed the right way. This, of course, until I reached a level I could call my own.
If someone has to play in shorts and tee to be comfortable, good for him.
But in my view of all things musical (from learning guitar chords to choose the right shoes for the gigs) pay attention to how your band is dressed it just shows you care. I just don’t like who doesn’t care as if music would just be something to do to kill time. Being casual is one thing, being lazy a completely different one.
Said that, everything makes people happy it makes me happy.
If I’m in charge though, it’s a different story. My game, my rules. ;)

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
Who was it said the performer should be the best dressed person in the house? I don't go that far but try to look decent and that does not include shorts. When I see pictures of local bands that look like they just got finished working on their cars, I just sigh.

It was a whole thing! Even had some hits...

300px-Freek2.jpg

Lindo

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2019
Derbyshire
I don't know if it's USA thing, but I think it's definitely a hang-up that that musicians seem to impose on themselves. I've mentioned it to my wife on occasion and she thinks it's hilarious. I suspect most non-musicians would be surprised that it's such a commonly and firmly held belief

i've honestly never come across it before reading this thread, and I've been playing in bands for 40 years.