Wearing shorts on stage

Duo Slinger

Country Gent
Sep 11, 2020
California, USA
Outside the house, I wear shorts only if I’m playing sports or if I’m walking to the beach (or the swimming pool).
Showing up in shorts on stage it would mean your last gig with me, it doesn’t matter how you play.
No shorts, no bare feet, no flip flops, no Hawaiian shirts. The Golden Rules. Rock’n’roll is a serious matter. :)
I'm gonna have to disagree with that last one, as one of the penultimate rock god's makes fantastic use of them;

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.09.49 PM.png

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
I live in a beach town….Shorts everyday, all day, every day of the year…

If it is a cold day, shorts and a sweatshirt…
I’m with you on that, pants maybe ten times a year. While I was teaching I wore pants everyday, not jeans. I think musicians wearing shorts at outdoor shows makes them look like an old dads jam band. Nothing wrong with that but I’m usually there for the food not the music. Now when they’re dressed the part I focus at least for awhile on the music before I hit the food.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I would never wear shorts on stage. (I would not even wear them off-stage. Not even in my garden during a very hot summer. Would make me look like an idiot. And I don`t want to look like an idiot.)

Wearing shorts on stage would be an insult to all the good people paying their hard earned money to see my band.
Putting up a good show means that every aspect should be perfect. Music, sound, light and -of course- proper clothing. It has not neccessarily to be comfortable.
It all should fit the style of the music.

I very rarely play music with my every-day-clothes on (maybe on an impromptu jam or an open mic night).
Usually I dress up as cool as I can. I have extra stage-clothing and I am willing to pay a lot of money for it.

Btw.: I am convinced that max 1% of the grown-up male or female population look good with shorts.
...Maybe 1,5% of the female population...There are even kids that look unflattering with shorts.

Deadly sin: Combine shorts with white socks and sandales...OMG....:eek:
😫

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
Shorts with thigh high socks or fishnets, maybe a skirt or dress. Jeans only if they suit the outfit. Helps that I mostly play punk but also have the ridiculously goth bass, I can get away with almost anything.

Edit - Ooh, I forgot, I have a picture. If I'm covering X-Ray Cat Trio stuff, of course I'm wearing this outfit... View attachment 187386
That look works anytime. 😎

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
On TGP forum there’s a lot of strong opinions about whether it’s okay to wear short pants on stage.

Personally, I only wear shorts if I’m relaxing at home, exercising, or near a body of water ready to submerge.
I don’t wear them in public cuz I don’t think it’s a good look, at least not for me.

On stage I like to look cool. It helps me play and perform better. Whether I hit that mark of “cool” is up for debate, but in shorts, I just can’t feel professional.

Last weekend I played an outside gig at a festival in 90°+ heat. Still wore black jeans and boots. I was hot, but it was worth it.
All the people there in shorts were still hot too.

What say you?

Shorts? At a gig?? Never. Never ever. Never EVER ever ever.

Jim Krause

Electromatic
May 2, 2022
Lawrence, Kansas
On TGP forum there’s a lot of strong opinions about whether it’s okay to wear short pants on stage.

Personally, I only wear shorts if I’m relaxing at home, exercising, or near a body of water ready to submerge.
I don’t wear them in public cuz I don’t think it’s a good look, at least not for me.

On stage I like to look cool. It helps me play and perform better. Whether I hit that mark of “cool” is up for debate, but in shorts, I just can’t feel professional.

Last weekend I played an outside gig at a festival in 90°+ heat. Still wore black jeans and boots. I was hot, but it was worth it.
All the people there in shorts were still hot too.

What say you?
I think shorts are just fine...on 10 year old boys. I refuse to wear them in public, and I damnsure ain't gonna wear 'em on stage.

I just turned 69 last month, and I think it's time to dress my age. Chinos, or khakis are a good choice for summer.

Latest posts