Wearing shorts on stage

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
On TGP forum there’s a lot of strong opinions about whether it’s okay to wear short pants on stage.

Personally, I only wear shorts if I’m relaxing at home, exercising, or near a body of water ready to submerge.
I don’t wear them in public cuz I don’t think it’s a good look, at least not for me.

On stage I like to look cool. It helps me play and perform better. Whether I hit that mark of “cool” is up for debate, but in shorts, I just can’t feel professional.

Last weekend I played an outside gig at a festival in 90°+ heat. Still wore black jeans and boots. I was hot, but it was worth it.
All the people there in shorts were still hot too.

What say you?

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Outside the house, I wear shorts only if I’m playing sports or if I’m walking to the beach (or the swimming pool).
Showing up in shorts on stage it would mean your last gig with me, it doesn’t matter how you play.
No shorts, no bare feet, no flip flops, no Hawaiian shirts. The Golden Rules. Rock’n’roll is a serious matter. :)

Runamok

Country Gent
Outside the house, I wear shorts only if I’m playing sports or if I’m walking to the beach (or the swimming pool).
Showing up in shorts on stage it would mean your last gig with me, it doesn’t matter how you play.
No shorts, no bare feet, no flip flops, no Hawaiian shirts. The Golden Rules. Rock’n’roll is a serious matter. :)
Don’t go to Margaritaville without a blindfold.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
You and I, sir, are of the same opinion.
I dunno if I ever saw a picture of Johnny Cash or Keith Richards on stage in shorts.
I tell people that I play with that they can show up in shorts, as long as they bring pants to change into before hitting the stage.

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
Shorts with thigh high socks or fishnets, maybe a skirt or dress. Jeans only if they suit the outfit. Helps that I mostly play punk but also have the ridiculously goth bass, I can get away with almost anything.

Edit - Ooh, I forgot, I have a picture. If I'm covering X-Ray Cat Trio stuff, of course I'm wearing this outfit...
20210805_180752.jpg

Last edited:

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Shorts with thigh high socks or fishnets, maybe a skirt or dress. Jeans only if they suit the outfit. Helps that I mostly play punk but also have the ridiculously goth bass, I can get away with almost anything.

Edit - Ooh, I forgot, I have a picture. If I'm covering X-Ray Cat Trio stuff, of course I'm wearing this outfit... View attachment 187386
It’s different for women, in that I would NEVER make rules or suggest what they wear. Every band I’ve been in for the last 20 years has had at least one female member. They wear whatever they want!
Fishnets rule!

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Well, of course the golden rules don’t apply if you dress up to be someone else. If you’re dressed in a woman outfit, everything could go.:)
Anyway, I don’t wear anything on stage that’s not ironed and it’s not black (dark blue is allowed though) :D. At least, to start the gig. How it could end up, btw, may vary…;)

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Silver Member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.

Edit - Ooh, I forgot, I have a picture. If I'm covering X-Ray Cat Trio stuff, of course I'm wearing this outfit... View attachment 187386
X-Ray Cat Trio are cool! Great band.. Nico’s a pal of mine.. 😎

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
Even when I used to wear shorts at a picnic, people used to say "last time a saw legs like that they were on a piano at a dive bar".

Sometimes the truth is hurtful, other times it is just honest.