Vox ac15 tubes

UncleWaldo

Aug 5, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Late to the party, but here's my 2¢...
I've tried a few different sets in my ac15c1x and this is what I found:
Mullards in power and preamp: dirt for days, super creamy overdrive... but wasn't the sound I was looking for.
JJ's in power and preamp: bleh... just sounded dull to me.
Lions: the preamp tubes sound nice... good headroom... but I blew up the power tubes within 8 weeks. They can't take the heat.
Tung Sols in power and preamp: my current setup. I've got headroom and a very rich sounding overdrive when the amp is pushed. Plus they take the heat.

Telechamp

Country Gent
Oct 20, 2010
Tampa Bay
I put JJ's in my AC15C1. Improved the tone quite a bit from the stock tubes.

t2fvpP3.jpg

ULLMsAr.jpg

Rodi

Electromatic
Feb 17, 2017
Connecticut
Well i quickly realised that there are tube connoisseurs out there in the forum and im certainly not one of them. How do you all keep track of this stuff and make comparisons? Are you sitting on a stack of good tubes and doing a/b comparisons? i decided to go with Eurotubes and their standard recommendation for the AC15 and i have a set of EL 84s and EC 83S winging their way to me. I got the euro dampers too which i hope will assist in further minimizing atmospheric noise in my home studio for recording purposes.
Thanks for all the help and recommendations.
I believe this, old tubes, if in the right condition, are a bargain. I think I spent some good coin for NOS tubes for both my Winfields. For the most part, in my opinion, old tubes sound great (history of same amp types working well with specific tubes) and they do last longer, si long as the amp is in the right order. While I should get a coupke EF86 pre amp tubes, I generally am not overly concerned. My Mesa Blue Angel went through some Mesa el84s

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Mullards in power and preamp: dirt for days, super creamy overdrive... but wasn't the sound I was looking for.
Lions: the preamp tubes sound nice... good headroom... but I blew up the power tubes within 8 weeks. They can't take the heat.
Tung Sols in power and preamp: my current setup. I've got headroom and a very rich sounding overdrive when the amp is pushed. Plus they take the heat.
Welcome to the forum, @UncleWaldo !
welcome mat 19.jpg

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Curious which lions you used? There is a more expensive version supposedly not from the Chinese plant. Or I completely misunderstood something. I have to go check my gold lions now!