volume master knob for play solos

Rusty Silver

Synchromatic
Jun 25, 2017
Italy (Rome and Genoa)
Does anybody here use the volume knob for increase volume (and gain) before to do solos? I find really cool to play without pedals and I can use this simple way as a "booster" when I switch between a rythm part and a solo. It's a little difficult at the beginning, but with a bit of practise, it becomes super funny.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Yes. I have 2 gain stages. I use my guitar volume to control the gain on my pedal (Automatone preamp), then to a volume pedal that influences the gain on my amp.

I mostly use the pedal. However, I am using the fuzz a lot more on the Automatone and I always layer pedal gain on top of amp gain - sounds better to me, not a huge fan of peal gain unless very light. This allows me to control how much fuzz and how much amp overdrive / saturation I want.

I like to roll back the bridge pickup volume into the fuzz and use that as a rhythm sound that is overdrive. Then I can flip to the neck pickup at full volume and use that as a lead sound with heavier fuzz.

It is really fun and sound glorious.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I never got the hang of it. Nearly all of my solo's in our repertoire happen too fast for me to jump to the MV. I play through a lot of pedals and set my board up so that the volume pedal comes after drive. Drive pedals establish tone -- volume pedal gooses the amp. Plus, my Gretsch doesn't have a treble bleed so if I so much as look at the MV knob, the guitars goes dark quick. I need to put one in and learn how to better use the MV knob. The volume knob on my Reverend doesn't have that problem and easier to reach when playing. I hardly play that guitar since getting my Country Club but when I did play it, I would use the volume knob throughout a gig but still never as a boost for soloing. I think I tried it once and got thrown off trying to time it.

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
I must admit… I don’t use the volume knob to raise volume etc.
I play with everything wide open!
I play in a pretty un subtle loud Trashy Rock’n’Roll band.
I use a boost pedal for solos etc..
I should probably be playing a Setzer Hot Rod 😂

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Not only do I use it that way, I use it to ride clean/overdriven. And because I have a Phoenix (no tone switch or knob), I even use it to dial back the treble some.

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
Does anybody here use the volume knob for increase volume (and gain) before to do solos? I find really cool to play without pedals and I can use this simple way as a "booster" when I switch between a rythm part and a solo. It's a little difficult at the beginning, but with a bit of practise, it becomes super funny.

It's one way to get the job done.

Another is to defy convention and have a *more* powerful pickup in the neck position. Several of my guitars have rather normal (9.2kohm) humbuckers in the bridge position and a DiMarzio Fast Track II (18Kohm single-coil size) humbucker in the neck position. It's about three times the volume of the bridge pickup in this case.

I have an active sweepable mids boost (the product was a Chandler Tone-X) on a couple of my guitars. You can preset the frequency of the mids you want boosted and the gizmo will boost those frequencies about 16 dB (a battery is involved). Think "parked wah" pedal. It's a good way to make a solo stand out.

I have active tone controls on a couple of my amps (most amps have passives) and I can switch them on and off. The Carvin XV112E has excess volume available and you can switch to it.

And a couple of my old tube preamps have active tone controls, boosts and varying numbers of tube gain stages depending on the channel selected. The Carvin Quad-X from the early 90's has all of this (there are nine 12 AX7s in that sucker) and more. You can still find these at around $350 on Craigslist, etc.

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
Were these designed by Nigel Tufnel, perchance?
Good question, but probably a few 12" speakers short of his favorite. Seriously loud little 1x12 combo amp with an EV-L. Seriously heavy (weight). Mine's early '90's, with mouse fur covering. We hauled it from the Carvin store on Sunset a few doors down to the Mesa Store on Sunset and sat there with both sets of employees doing an A-B. The X100 series looks like a Mesa clone anyway and in the end it was the price that decided the purchase.

Nominally 100W (EL34s) with a switch that will allow you to pull it down to 50W/25W.

Seamus

Country Gent
Feb 25, 2011
New England
Good question, but probably a few 12" speakers short of his favorite. Seriously loud little 1x12 combo amp with an EV-L. Seriously heavy (weight). Mine's early '90's, with mouse fur covering. We hauled it from the Carvin store on Sunset a few doors down to the Mesa Store on Sunset and sat there with both sets of employees doing an A-B. The X100 series looks like a Mesa clone anyway and in the end it was the price that decided the purchase.

Nominally 100W (EL34s) with a switch that will allow you to pull it down to 50W/25W.
I know nothing of Carvins, but that sounds like a pretty sweet and versatile setup!

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
I know nothing of Carvins, but that sounds like a pretty sweet and versatile setup!
Carvin amps were, some of them, really really good. They were close by. There were four factory stores in LA, I believe, and the factory was about 100 miles south of me in Escondido. The company was family-owned and they began by building pickups around 70 years ago, long before SD and DiMarzio. They split in two (guitars are now built by Kiesel and Carvin Audio does a smaller business in sound products) a few years ago.

I've ended up with the X100 combo variant mentioned above and a Belair, which is the 2x12 combo version of their EL84 amp. Some years ago I found one of their '71 solid state amps, a head with a huge speaker cabinet that houses a pair of 15" Altec Lansing 418-8As and a mids/high horn. Still works (bought it at a church rummage sale for whatever I had in my pocket, which wasn't much) and sounds amazing. Around 200W of solid state.

I actually used the X100 combo as a "head" by unplugging the internal speaker and running it out to a pair of 4x12s for a while.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I am doing this for more than 25 years.
I sold my giant rack when I realised that it made me more trouble than fun and settled on one-channel amps without any effects.
Since then I am a very happy camper.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I generally much prefer a volume pedal over guitar knob, as I use both hands to play guitar and find shifting back and forth to the knob too distracting. while I generally lay only one guitar, I also get more consistent change form using one volume pedal rather than relying on the knobs and pots of each guitar.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
I would if I didn’t have to take care of the main vocals as well.
It’s a powerful tool to avoid using too many pedals.
Anyway you have to be very good to manage singing and taking care of the dynamics.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Does anybody here use the volume knob for increase volume (and gain) before to do solos?
Yes and always have. Never having been much of a pedal guy, it never occurred to me that there would be any other way.
I generally much prefer a volume pedal over guitar knob, as I use both hands to play guitar and find shifting back and forth to the knob too distracting.
I did the same for a period of time. But at some point decided that I just don't like having stuff on the floor around me. The one or two pedals that I do use at gigs sit on top of my amp.

BCBlues55

Electromatic
Mar 20, 2021
Virginia
I was late to the game with Gretsch guitars and I can’t really see the need for the Master Volume knob. On my two hollow bodies (a 5140 and a Streamliner), I put in a Bass Contour Control, which helps control feedback. I can also beef up the sound with the BCC, if I’m playing a solo. I’ve found that very useful (for me). YMMV

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I was late to the game with Gretsch guitars and I can’t really see the need for the Master Volume knob.
Having been early and nearly exclusive to Gretsch guitars, the lack of a master volume control drives me crazy when I'm playing anything else. Especially the Gibson/Epiphone four knobs in the corner. The lower horn is a far more accessible and convenient location to be reaching for a control.

mwpv11

Electromatic
Sep 23, 2017
Holiday, FL
I do the same thing. LOL