Vintage V Neck Profile vs U Profile?

Bounty Hunter

Gretschie
Apr 29, 2010
Illinois
I own an Electromatic G5120TG with the standard U neck profile which is honestly, not a favorite of mine due to me being primarily and acoustic player used to 1 3/4" nut widths and thicker profiles. Tomorrow I am going to check out a used Brian Setzer Hot Rod (2108, I believe) Gretsch describes the neck on this model to have a "Vintage V" profile but the nut width is the same as my Electromatic. Question for those here with more knowledge: Will the V profile on the Setzer offer a fuller feel in the hand when compared to my Electromatic? I really hope so :) I know the Setzer also has a compound radius which should be a plus. TIA for any advise.

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
U, C or D shape for me. The V shape hurts or at least is uncomfortable for barre chords unless you use the thumb over method.

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I have both and the vintage V is very subtle so i don't know if its going to feel any fuller then the U shape, i mean it does feel different to me but not a hige difference.

If you are used to the 1 3/4 nut width ot may pay to look for a proline that is made in the fugi gen factory (serial numbers start with FG) they have a slightly bigger 43mm nut width then the other prolines, not what your use too but it may be worth trying one if you can find one.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I used to own a Japanese made 50ies Fender Strat RI for many years. The neck had a very pronounced V and was a joy to play. Combined with a small radius fretboard and very skinny frets it was a real chord-machine.
A very different but enjoyable playing-experience.

Bounty Hunter

Gretschie
Apr 29, 2010
Illinois
Thanks for the input. There's no substitute for getting you hands on the guitar and see how it works. Looking forward to checking out this Setzer model today & I'll see how it goes.

Axis39

Country Gent
Jun 2, 2008
Beaumont, CA
I do not own, nor am I familiar with Gretsch's V carve.

I am very familiar with vintage Gibson acoustics and their V shape.

I also prefer wider nut widths on my guitars. I like 1 3/4 and above. I also like thicker style necks, like Gibson 50's carves, or Fender SRV or both tail carves.

A V carved electric neck will never really feel like the wide nut of your acoustics. But, a thicker neck will fill your hand nicer....

I was under the impression that the Setzer necks were eon the thinner side? Is this incorrect? If they are, that might make it even further from what you want.

YourBlueRoom

Gretschie
Jan 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I own an Electromatic G5120TG with the standard U neck profile which is honestly, not a favorite of mine due to me being primarily and acoustic player used to 1 3/4" nut widths and thicker profiles. Tomorrow I am going to check out a used Brian Setzer Hot Rod (2108, I believe) Gretsch describes the neck on this model to have a "Vintage V" profile but the nut width is the same as my Electromatic. Question for those here with more knowledge: Will the V profile on the Setzer offer a fuller feel in the hand when compared to my Electromatic? I really hope so :) I know the Setzer also has a compound radius which should be a plus. TIA for any advise.

I believe the 3rd generation Setzer models that ran from late 2015 through 2019 had a U shaped neck.

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
To my hands, and JMO, the Vintage "V" Gretsch neck is the most comfortable neck that Gretsch offers.

Love it

diamoroso

Gretschie
Feb 4, 2019
San Diego, CA
My 6120 has the vintage V while my Falcon is more what I would describe as a U or C. The V on the 6120 feels significantly smaller in the hand than the Falcon, and as some people have mentioned, it can get a bit uncomfortable if you're playing a lot of barre chords. I prefer the U/C of the Falcon, which is also considerable thicker than the neck on my old 5420.

Bounty Hunter

Gretschie
Apr 29, 2010
Illinois
Again, thanks for the info! Bottom line, I bought the guitar today and will post some pics soon. It's a 2018 Setzer Hot Rod with the two tone Transparent Black top and back with greyish white finish on the sides and neck. As for the neck, it's a V profile that feels very comfy to me right now. As some have mentioned, it it NOT a beefier neck when compared to the U profile on my Electromatic but it feels faster and falls into my hand very nicely. The compound radius is a nice change as well. A big upgrade from my (still very nice) G5120TG-59. More info and impressions forthcoming with my NUGD post in the next day or so. Thanks for the help!