Vintage Guitar Magazine : Eddie Cochran's Gretsch G6120

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I can’t. All comers are serious contenders as far as I’m concerned. If you can tie a “P” to an “X”, then you’re in the running.
It is a strange choice of letters. In all seriousness, I can’t see any logic to those letters, and it’s possible that they are essentially random. Maybe all electric archtops were built by either Perry or Xavier.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
my friend Buddy Dughi has a custom shop Eddie Cochran, it feels much diff. than the production model. Something I could never afford but it let me realize how epic the original must have been. I also got to sit w Duane Eddy and listen to him tell me stories of his dear friend Eddie, and it made me appreciate him as a musician and major contributor more than I had previously understood.

6187LX

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Marineville
The two custom shop 6120-55's I got to try felt, sounded and played like the best of vintage. I could get used to a fixed-arm Bigsby in a minute.

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Not about the guitar per say, but a story i love from Gretsch player Richard Hawley who is a huge Eddie Cochran fan, was working with the legendary Scott Walker on a Pulp album, Scott was a child star in the 50s for a little while in the US before doing the whole Walker Brothers/solo career - they were at a record store together, and Hawley was looking at an Eddie Cochran disc, Scott came over and said "shake my hand" - Hawley wondered why but did it and Walker said - "I shook Eddie Cochran's hand and now he's shaking your hand through me"
best story ever

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
my friend Buddy Dughi has a custom shop Eddie Cochran, it feels much diff. than the production model. Something I could never afford but it let me realize how epic the original must have been. I also got to sit w Duane Eddy and listen to him tell me stories of his dear friend Eddie, and it made me appreciate him as a musician and major contributor more than I had previously understood.
oh man. sitting with de…

Latest posts