Thinking of selling the 65 Corvette

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
Set it and yourself free. Asking this forum if you should sell says to me that at some level you have made up your mind and already know the answer. Just box it up and move it on. $500 isn’t going to buy you much but what is the value of a guitar which doesn’t get played ? To me that is zero.
Well, I wasn't really asking if I should sell, I was trying to get an idea of what the forum thought it was worth. So far it looks like around $500 and I actually paid more than that for it. Despite cosmetics, it's a great playing, great sounding vintage made in the USA guitar. I can't possibly play all the guitars I have and I have a nice mini collection of made in the USA vintage guitars. I'm fairly happy to see it remain in that lineup if it's not worth the effort to move it along. I might try it on eBay once for like 750 and if it doesn't go, that's fine with me.

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Well, I wasn't really asking if I should sell, I was trying to get an idea of what the forum thought it was worth. So far it looks like around $500 and I actually paid more than that for it. Despite cosmetics, it's a great playing, great sounding vintage made in the USA guitar. I can't possibly play all the guitars I have and I have a nice mini collection of made in the USA vintage guitars. I'm fairly happy to see it remain in that lineup if it's not worth the effort to move it along. I might try it on eBay once for like 750 and if it doesn't go, that's fine with me.
Ok. Fair enough. I still say….’it has its hat and coat on’…as they say in my part of the World. Good luck with it.

DJet5000

Electromatic
Mar 27, 2022
Vermont
If you like it at all, and it's just the neck profile, ( I don't see any value in it myself otherwise).....have the neck shaved down to your liking. Or get a spoke shave and have fun. Not hard to do, reshoot some lacquer on the neck ( Prevail sprayer) and that seems the best to me. IMHO.

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
So I saw an old trem tailpiece on eBay from god-knows-what and picked it up so I could re string the Corvette and strum on it when the mood took me.

I did end up putting it on upside down for no particular reason (stupid) but it works, so there you go :)

IMG_5229.jpg

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Not the old bald guy driving a Corvette thing though. That will never be me.
Famous last words. It’s fated, at this point. :)

Speaking seriously, I hate the stereotypes. I once saw an article in a car magazine suggesting that middle aged men in Jeeps were having a mid-life crisis. Baloney! Sometimes people can’t have their dream vehicles Until later in life, for practical reasons. So, should they forego having something they’ve always wanted just because they are now “too old” in the opinion of some third party?

I didn’t get the sports car of my dreams until I was over 50. I’d drive around with the top down, smiling from ear to ear. I wasn’t having a mid-life crisis; I was having the time of my life.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma

Speaking seriously, I hate the stereotypes. I once saw an article in a car magazine suggesting that middle aged men in Jeeps were having a mid-life crisis. Baloney! Sometimes people can’t have their dream vehicles Until later in life, for practical reasons. So, should they forego having something they’ve always wanted just because they are now “too old” in the opinion of some third party?

I didn’t get the sports car of my dreams until I was over 50. I’d drive around with the top down, smiling from ear to ear. I wasn’t having a mid-life crisis; I was having the time of my life.
My gripe is that when you combine oldness, fancy car, and a convertible which makes high speed uncomfortable, those are usually the slowest drivers on the freeway, but because they're driving a sports car that could be fast, and it feels fast with the top down, they hold up the passing lane.

Aaaargh!!!

Sure not every car purchased is due to mid life crisis but some of them are.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
My gripe is that when you combine oldness, fancy car, and a convertible which makes high speed uncomfortable, those are usually the slowest drivers on the freeway, but because they're driving a sports car that could be fast, and it feels fast with the top down, they hold up the passing lane.

Aaaargh!!!

Sure not every car purchased is due to mid life crisis but some of them are.
I assure you, no one had that experience with me. I have cruise controls in any vehicle I own, set them to the speed limit, and try to maintain that speed, no matter what.

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi

It’s their dream and their money. If they are enjoying it that’s all that matters.
I’ll continue to get enjoyment when I see them. It’s a win-win.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I had a patient who was seeing his dermatologist for follow up of melanoma. The derm commented that Jack had a bit of a sunburn, a no-no for a melanoma survivor. Jack explained that he'd bought a convertible as a midlife crisis toy. He thought of a fling with a much younger woman but his wife convinced him a convertible was the safer route! :):cool::oops:

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I had a patient who was seeing his dermatologist for follow up of melanoma. The derm commented that Jack had a bit of a sunburn, a no-no for a melanoma survivor. Jack explained that he'd bought a convertible as a midlife crisis toy. He thought of a fling with a much younger woman but his wife convinced him a convertible was the safer route! :):cool::oops:
On the hottest days, I tended to leave the top up, and turn on the A/C. Actually, I avoided driving it when the OAT was over 103 F. It would run fine at 103, but if I turned the air on, it would be on the verge of overheating, so on tne hottest of days, it was a question of whether I would be uncomfortably warm, or the car.

Lou Coppolino

Synchromatic
Jul 23, 2022
Howell, NJ
IMO, don't sell.

I traded my '64 Gibson SG Special years ago and I regret it.

I wasn't using it.

Trader's remorse.

I bought a '62 Gibson SG/LP Junior soon after.

freddyfingers

Gretschified
Just caught this thread while in the midst of gassing for an inexpensive light weight guitar. Every now and then i will look up 5135 models, and like everything else they have gone up big time in price . Today i did find two that were reasonable priced. The one in this thread has all the mojo one could ever want. But i do not have any skills at repairs, or soldering, other wise i would take mojo over import any day. But mojo, as it very well should, costs a bit more.