Thinking of selling the 65 Corvette

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
This isn't a 'for sale' post (yet) but I really never play it and it's had a rough life so a 'collector' wouldn't be interested in it at all.

Sometimes I thing the Burns trem might be worth more than the guitar but that would be a tragedy, it sounds and plays great. The neck is just a little too chunky for my taste and that's pretty much the only reason I don't play it.

The bridge has been relocated more times than Henry Hill, no idea why but it's in the right place now.
There's mystery holes and numbers etc all over (mainly the back).
The pickguard looks like Salvador Dali made it (although it is original).
There's a crack in the headstock that appears stable (it's gotten no worse since I've owned it).

The frets were so low it was virtually unplayable when I got it, so I refret it.
The HiLoTron was long gone and it had a Power'Tron in it when I received it, I needed that for another project but managed to find a Mega'tron to put in.
Tuning stability was terrible with the Burns, so I wrapped the strings backwards on it, essentially making it a hardtail. MUCH better now. Never did have the trem bar, it had a butter knife with a hole drilled in the end on it when I received it, I think I tossed that out.

Mojo by the bucket load.

Sadly, if this were a Gibson or a Fender, there would be big bucks involved.

So tell me, what would you say a way cool guitar in this condition sell for? In your opinion of course.
IMG_9002.jpeg IMG_7586.JPG IMG_7585.JPG IMG_7580.JPG IMG_9009.jpeg IMG_9007.jpeg IMG_9008.jpeg IMG_9005.jpeg IMG_9004.jpeg IMG_9003.jpeg

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
Well, vintage guitars lose a lot of value when they’re repaired and refinished. Yours might be the exception. You’d have enough sanding to do to carry you through a good few seasons of Law and Order reruns. I’d strip it except for the headstock. Have a new pickguard cut using the original as a template if the holes still line up. Fill the holes and cracks in the body with an epoxy wood fill. Paint it crime scene blood red and scuff it up a bit. Then play it and enjoy it. And post pics along the way.

Krampus_CT

Electromatic
Mar 18, 2022
East Hampton, CT
Personally, if I don't love a guitar then I'll eventually sell it. The guitars I've kept are the ones that keep giving me that little thrill when I pull them out of their cases. Unless you're willing to re-profile the neck, then letting it go could open the door to finding something you'll really love, and you'll be passing it on to someone out there who will love that big neck, the history, and everything else about it. My advice, let it go, life's too short to play guitars you don't love.

englishman

Gretschified
Apr 5, 2014
Detroit
Personally, if I don't love a guitar then I'll eventually sell it. The guitars I've kept are the ones that keep giving me that little thrill when I pull them out of their cases. Unless you're willing to re-profile the neck, then letting it go could open the door to finding something you'll really love, and you'll be passing it on to someone out there who will love that big neck, the history, and everything else about it. My advice, let it go, life's too short to play guitars you don't love.
That's all true, however if it's only worth a few hundred on the marketplace then it's really not worth the effort of selling and shipping.

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
That's all true, however if it's only worth a few hundred on the marketplace then it's really not worth the effort of selling and shipping.
You may not get a bunch of $, but what’s the sense of keeping something you don’t use and don’t find comfortable? I’d move it on if it were me.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
On Reverb, here are the sold listings:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?quer...ctric-guitars&show_only_sold=true&decades=196

The range is $750-2200. Average for all years, conditions, models is $1429.

On eBay, only 1 guitar is listed in the Sold category, a 1970s model for $460.

The Blue Book says:

Mint $1050; EXC+ $850; EXC $675; VG+ $525; VG $425; G $350. (I think those are low. I can see guitar shops using those to push down trade in prices. )

I don't have the latest Vintage Guitar magazine price guide.

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
I like it as an honest relic. Since the headstock crack is stable, it would make a cool, honest relic and agree that you could start at $500 and see what happens.

PrimitiveWood

Electromatic
Oct 16, 2014
Pennsyltucky
Well yeah--that was my first "bucket list car"--saw it as a coupe matchbox back in probably '65--
had to settle for one of these--- smallKitty1.jpg

Too bad these don't come in Candy-apple red or BRG--Then we could stick with our Jag affinity in guitars too--LOL

1656542489889.png

Last edited:

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Set it and yourself free. Asking this forum if you should sell says to me that at some level you have made up your mind and already know the answer. Just box it up and move it on. $500 isn’t going to buy you much but what is the value of a guitar which doesn’t get played ? To me that is zero.