The Statue Of Liberty Construction Photos

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Nicely documented and an amazing work of art.

1659659399513.png

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I found Ellis Island to be more moving than Lady Liberty. You can see the Statue from many vantage points, but Ellis Island is something you enter, and it engulfs you. It's quite emotional.
@ZackyDog I love the photos

Ellis Island, it is how I got my first name. Grandma and grandpa came over from Switerland around 1914 and changed their name as they came through Ellis Island because the name sounded to German. They changed it to Conrad. It was of course my mothers maiden name and she named her youngest, me, after her maiden name…Conrad. I was nicknamed Rad…….I’m kinda proud of that little connection to that Island.

Last edited:

Hammerhands

Country Gent
Aug 26, 2011
Winnipeg
There are some great photos of just an arm on display.

I recently watched an episode of a show called Engineering that Changed the World, and there's a Ken Burns Statue of Liberty.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
There are some great photos of just an arm on display.

I recently watched an episode of a show called Engineering that Changed the World, and there's a Ken Burns Statue of Liberty.

Thanks for sharing that.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
I'm a typical New Yawka ...... never been there

But I do remember when it was being overhauled in 1976 for the countries Bi-Centenial celebration and Willie Nelson performing live on July 4th , 1976 . He was surrounded by the construction workers who helped overhaul the statue at that time and they were eating him on the back saying things like " Willieeee " .
The look on Willies face ....... priceless

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I made an old buddy of mine angry once because the wife and I wanted to check out the Statue of Liberty before going bar hopping in the East Village. LoL! He thought it was too "touristy" and fumed about it for hours.

I understood where he was coming from. Being from DC there's countless times I've had to ferry guests around the Nation's Capital to see all the tourist stuff. But I'm glad we did it.

Construction-wise, there was less to it than I expected. Metal skin hanging off giant girders and a two way spiral staircase. Nice view of the harbor from the top. But it was pretty cool. And having done it that one time now, I never have to do it again!

I can go straight to the bar hopping!