The one guitar that turns your crank... (One of these days, you gotta own it!)

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
In particular, I'm looking for one of the last Emperors made / assembled in Philadelphia, which would have to be a '54 I guess.

I can’t help you there. I love Epiphone, but the reason I don’t do the whole vintage deal is I simply can’t nor bother to remember all the years and specifics.

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
I can’t help you there. I love Epiphone, but the reason I don’t do the whole vintage deal is I simply can’t nor bother to remember all the years and specifics.
And then there's all the Gibson "reissue" models to sort out, R0, Rxxx. Jeez.

Runamok

Country Gent
I don't play jazz, and completely impractical...

View attachment 188875

...but still might be fun to take the stage with the biggest m***** f***** out there!

Considering the prices on these things nowadays, I might have to settle with the Emp's little brother instead...

View attachment 188876
It has elevator buttons!?!

Not only can you sound like never before—you can get off on the right floor after doing so!

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
A guitar that is not affected by temp and humidity. Aristides 060... one piece Arium, (not your dad's Carbon fiber).

View attachment 188846

Pure Carbon fiber for guitars was already done and dusted in the '80s. Anyone that's still using it today is showcasing a lack of true innovation, failure to understand good guitar tone, and perhaps a slavish pursuit of buzzwords purely for commercial interests.

I owned one of these, but it didn't stick around. Firstly, Arium is the real deal. Resonant, full spectrum, 'more' of everything sonically. Sounded awesome. Reasonable weight, perfect quality, top-notch hardware. It fell down in a couple of areas for me though. Mine had the 'raw' finish with the in-molded color. It looked cool and didn't get marked up, but that stuff felt weird on the back of the neck to me and I never got used to it. I'm not particularly sensitive to that kind of stuff either. The neck was thin, too thin, but I could have lived with it. The fret board edges though...not rolled at all, squared almost to the point of sharp. Because it is Richlite, you can't just roll the edges a bit. It would be a major undertaking, very time consuming and with a lot of possibility of screwing it up. I noticed those hard FB edges every time I played it. Ultimately I couldn't live with it and moved it one. Incredible guitars, but not for me.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I owned one of these, but it didn't stick around. Firstly, Arium is the real deal. Resonant, full spectrum, 'more' of everything sonically. Sounded awesome. Reasonable weight, perfect quality, top-notch hardware. It fell down in a couple of areas for me though. Mine had the 'raw' finish with the in-molded color. It looked cool and didn't get marked up, but that stuff felt weird on the back of the neck to me and I never got used to it. I'm not particularly sensitive to that kind of stuff either. The neck was thin, too thin, but I could have lived with it. The fret board edges though...not rolled at all, squared almost to the point of sharp. Because it is Richlite, you can't just roll the edges a bit. It would be a major undertaking, very time consuming and with a lot of possibility of screwing it up. I noticed those hard FB edges every time I played it. Ultimately I couldn't live with it and moved it one. Incredible guitars, but not for me.

Tnx, good to know. I think the in-molded colour is an option, and I love small necks! My main concern is the quoted 7-8 Lbs, cause I'm a weak little man.

Shame about the non-rolled edges of the Richlite, but surely everything can be rolled, given enough time? I would probably start with an orbital sander. :)
I'll have to talk to the guys at Aristides first, see what they say.

swivel

Country Gent
Silver Member
May 13, 2018
PNW
Always wanted a Byrdland, not so sure now as I dont deal well with thick bodies at my age....
Maybe an L5.

MentalTossFlycoon

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2018
Texas
Les Paul Jr. Years ago there was a 3 piece band from Dallas that played a local club here. The guitar player used a Les Paul Jr . They cover alot of ZZ top stuff and nailed it every time especially Nationwide. That guy and his guitar always stuck in my mind........yeah I know....its probably his fingers more than the guitar. But always wanted a LPJr since I saw that band. Gibson makes a reissue now for around $1600 that would suit me fine

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
I can honestly say that I have been blessed with more guitars than I deserve, both the current group, and all the guitars that have come and gone. At this point, I am more realistic than I am GASing for a Holy Grail guitar.

At one time, the White Falcon was something I wanted. Now, I'm very happy with my Tennessee Rose. I thought at another time that a PRS core guitar - specifically a Custom P22 (got a chance to play one and thought it was amazing to add a piezo pickup to the tone) would be my ultimate guitar. I now have 2 PRS guitars - both SE models - one with a switching system that gives me 8 variations from the 2 humbuckers, and one that's a hollowbody with the expected humbuckers, but with piezo too. Both are excellent guitars. I have a Taylor 710ce acoustic-electric that rings all the bells for me, an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500 acoustic-electric that has stereo output (it is magnificent through 2 amps), and Takamine 12-string that is a whole other sound.

I could go through all the guitars that I have - electrics and acoustics - and explain why I feel so blessed to own them, but then I suspect we could all do that. It's just that I have come to a place of feeling satisfied with what I have. Maybe it's semi-retirement, with full retirement on the horizon, that makes me feel this way. After all, I'm now of a more or less "fixed income." I suppose reaching for the ultimate, that might also come with the ultimate price tag, just doesn't seem quite as important anymore. Having the most fun that I can with what I have is what seems the most important to me. Maybe it's because I'm finding that my "Holy Grail" has actually been with me all along. It's the one I pick up on any given day.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
Does the initial playing experience (much like a first impression) give you pause for that “gotta have it” guitar?

I’m speaking mainly on trying out gear at music shops. Guitars that are hanging on the wall, they just feel icky to me; Dirty strings, fingerprints and smudges abound.
I’ve played three that I really wanted, and left empty handed three times.

Of course, I would clean them all upon returning home. But that nastiness of the physical feeling ruins my fantasy of how badass I thought a guitar would be.

What a money saving experience.

Two examples that I lusted after:

Attachments

• 32181FA4-DEEE-4A48-91D0-6CD54576100F.jpeg
    32181FA4-DEEE-4A48-91D0-6CD54576100F.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 22D5E13A-789D-4FB5-871F-A549C99D1F3F.jpeg
    22D5E13A-789D-4FB5-871F-A549C99D1F3F.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2

Pemberton

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
I know that Chet Atkins wasn’t thrilled with the overly kitschy western/cowboy aesthetics of the first year 6120, but to me, that’s the coolest part. It would be super neat to own an original ‘55 (although I do own an original ‘59 6120, and that’s super nifty as well).

4C3775D3-39DD-4C57-BCA7-ECD02358CFDF.jpeg

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I know that Chet Atkins wasn’t thrilled with the overly kitschy western/cowboy aesthetics of the first year 6120, but to me, that’s the coolest part. It would be super neat to own an original ‘55 (although I do own an original ‘59 6120, and that’s super nifty as well).

View attachment 188922
The full-western is the only iteration of single cutaway 6120 that I've never owned. I'm in the process of remedying that oversight, albeit cheating a little by going through the Custom Shop.

Latest posts