Supro Coronado II, it’s a love affair!

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I haven’t even had this guitar for a month, but I feel as if I’ve had it forever, perhaps in another life.
7ACCBBBE-18E0-477B-B93E-8AAF24B1B53F.jpeg
The only modification I saw fit to make was replacing the rosewood bridge with a spare space control I had in a parts bin because the wooden bridge was not conducive to gratuitous vibrato bar action. I’m actually enjoying the lack of sustain. The notes don’t necessarily die out immediately, but along with these mean vistatone single coils, this guitar has a very stark and biting tone. It has a great lo-fi vintage garage rock n’ roll tone, but it can clean up real pretty too.
The action is semi-low, the frets are in tip-top shape. It’s incredibly comfortable to hold and play, and it sounds amazing!
It’s the cheapest guitar I own, and it was made in China.
I have many far nicer and pricier guitars, but this thing cannot be denied!
I gigged with it last Saturday, and even with lots of wiggle stick action, it stayed in tune!
67EB57B0-2F18-4DB7-A790-12C20496BC77.jpeg
End of report!
Have a great week, everyone!

Last edited:

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
I haven’t even had this guitar for a month, but I feel as if I’ve had it forever, perhaps in another life.
View attachment 190857
The only modification I saw fit to make was replacing the rosewood bridge with a spare space control I had in a parts bin because the wooden bridge was not conducive to gratuitous vibrato bar action. I’m actually enjoying the lack of sustain. The notes don’t necessarily die out immediately, but along with these mean vistatone single coils, this guitar has a very stark and biting tone. It has a great lo-fi vintage garage rock n’ roll tone, but it can clean up real pretty too.
The action is semi-low, the frets are in tip-top shape. It’s incredibly comfortable to hold and play, and it sounds amazing!
It’s the cheapest guitar I own, and it was made in China.
I have many far nicer and pricier guitars, but this thing cannot be denied!
I gigged with it last Saturday, and even with lots of wiggle stick action, it stayed in tune!
View attachment 190858
End of report!
Have a great week, everyone!

been wanting one of these for a hot minute. glad to hear they play well

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Thanx!
That’s just with some tape echo slap and a lil’ tremolo thru my 5 watt tube amp. No preamp pedals at all. It has a great sound on it’s own.
No doubt it has a great so sound but I have to say the playing and creativity crafted something quite special.

I've listened to the song a half dozen times and if I had it as a single, it would be on the top of my playlist. I'm not surprised though considering you create a great atmosphere with your playing....Oh yeah, I listen to "Nekkid" by Draudiga a lot. Your playing lights a fire of creativity in me. Now I'm listening to "Send Down Fire".

Awesome.... you really bring the mojo!

Viking Power

Synchromatic
Jun 11, 2018
Mountlake Terrace, WA
No doubt it has a great so sound but I have to say the playing and creativity crafted something quite special.

I've listened to the song a half dozen times and if I had it as a single, it would be on the top of my playlist. I'm not surprised though considering you create a great atmosphere with your playing....Oh yeah, I listen to "Nekkid" by Draudiga a lot. Your playing lights a fire of creativity in me. Now I'm listening to "Send Down Fire".

I agree man. The playing and style really inspire me personally. Not sure it would matter too much which guitar was being played. Well, unless it was a Hello Kitty ukulele.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine

I agree man. The playing and style really inspire me personally. Not sure it would matter too much which guitar was being played. Well, unless it was a Hello Kitty ukulele.
Wow guys. That’s really nice of you to say.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Nice guitar! Nicely done tune, too!

Side note---Locally, we have a 1750s trapper's rendezvous reenactment here this coming weekend called Feast of the Hunter's Moon. It's been going on since '58 and is a huge draw with thousands of participants and more even attendees. Your song fits well!

Last edited:

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
Man, that guitar has all the curves, a tight black skirt and is carrying a switchblade! She's dangerous, beware!

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
...but seriously, that pickup sound is looking for a fight. Glad it's not just mine that sounds that way! So, I have some Roadhouse Vistatone style pickups that were made a while back in Canada....the story goes that they stopped when the new Supro guitars were reissued and they supplied Supro. I liked the Roadhouse models SO much that I bought a Supro Black Holiday when it came up on ebay very cheap. However, I was surprised that they sounded quite different. Yeah, maybe it's the solid vs semi hollow body, or the caps or pot values. Or maybe they plain changed the design.
It's not that much of a problem, I love them both and the Supro Black Holiday is quite a dame too! I love the fact that they went to all the trouble of making a plastic/wood combo body and separated the front and back with some white rubber tubing. I'd have maybe liked a bit more thickness in the neck but as Cale said, there's not a lot wrong with this Chinese made model.
I liked your One Man Band project, it made me think I should put more effort into my own project, you've encouraged me!

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Man, that guitar has all the curves, a tight black skirt and is carrying a switchblade! She's dangerous, beware!
She’s a real killer!
...but seriously, that pickup sound is looking for a fight. Glad it's not just mine that sounds that way! So, I have some Roadhouse Vistatone style pickups that were made a while back in Canada....the story goes that they stopped when the new Supro guitars were reissued and they supplied Supro. I liked the Roadhouse models SO much that I bought a Supro Black Holiday when it came up on ebay very cheap. However, I was surprised that they sounded quite different. Yeah, maybe it's the solid vs semi hollow body, or the caps or pot values. Or maybe they plain changed the design.
It's not that much of a problem, I love them both and the Supro Black Holiday is quite a dame too! I love the fact that they went to all the trouble of making a plastic/wood combo body and separated the front and back with some white rubber tubing. I'd have maybe liked a bit more thickness in the neck but as Cale said, there's not a lot wrong with this Chinese made model.
I liked your One Man Band project, it made me think I should put more effort into my own project, you've encouraged me!
The Black Holiday is basically the same guitar as a Coronado II but with the switch in a different spot, right?

These pickups are amazing. I was alarmed at how close they are to the strings at first. There’s no way to raise or lower them without taking the whole thing apart, but they sound great set proud the way they are.

Glad you dig the one-man-band thing. I have a several more videos of it on my YouTube channel. I played my first one-man-band gig for an audience last weekend. It went extremely well. I plan to make a go of it!

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
She’s a real killer!

The Black Holiday is basically the same guitar as a Coronado II but with the switch in a different spot, right?

These pickups are amazing. I was alarmed at how close they are to the strings at first. There’s no way to raise or lower them without taking the whole thing apart, but they sound great set proud the way they are.

Glad you dig the one-man-band thing. I have a several more videos of it on my YouTube channel. I played my first one-man-band gig for an audience last weekend. It went extremely well. I plan to make a go of it!
Hmmm, think I got a surprise in store for you. The pickup can be raised and lowered using the pole piece screws under top and bottom E strings. How mad is that???

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
On the Black Holiday, we only have volume and tone, wired in the 50s Tele style. I quite like that. So the tone control varies the mix of each pickup. Plus, doesn't your Coronado have a piezo pickup in the bridge? I might be wrong. About everything

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Lools great, glad you're enjoying it!

Oddly. I can't find anything about a supro Coronado guitar. Fender Coronado guitar yes, supro coronado amp yes, but no supro Coronado guitar.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Hmmm, think I got a surprise in store for you. The pickup can be raised and lowered using the pole piece screws under top and bottom E strings. How mad is that???

On the Black Holiday, we only have volume and tone, wired in the 50s Tele style. I quite like that. So the tone control varies the mix of each pickup. Plus, doesn't your Coronado have a piezo pickup in the bridge? I might be wrong. About everything
The Coronado doesn’t have the piezo. I was looking at the Martinique which does, but I wanted the sexy black guitar.
Mine has individual tone and volume for each pickup, which I don’t fuss with in this particular guitar. I might ride the pickup volume here and there, but never the tone.

That’s a weird sneaky way to adjust a pickup height! I’ll probably leave mine tall and proud. They sound great where they are.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Lools great, glad you're enjoying it!

Oddly. I can't find anything about a supro Coronado guitar. Fender Coronado guitar yes, supro coronado amp yes, but no supro Coronado guitar.
Yeah, the Coronado name is so good Supro used it for both an Amp and a guitar. But the guitar is the Coronado II. I’m guessing cuz it has 2 pickups.

Latest posts