Strings installed incorrectly?

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Notices a Gretsch listed at GC. And saw that the strings were put on as below. If somebody did that on purpose, is there some logic in going over the bigsby bar?

Screenshot_20220622-211015.jpg

WillyW

Electromatic
May 3, 2022
ABQ
Wrong model bigsby for that guitar, now it has unnecessary holes drilled in it.

probably needed a b6

note the arm barely reaches the bridge

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
It is almost certainly an attempt to keep in tune when the Bigsby is used. There is a guy on You Tube proposing this as the solution to all tuning stability problems with the B7/70/700. He seems pretty angry about most things tbh. As Ricochet says the bridge isn't anchored as would be my pref and there is going to be a trade off in tone and sustain as a result but if you are playing with the volume at 11 and the drive all the way up then you probably wouldn't notice any of these limitations.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Guitar Center - say no more. It's hit or miss in that place as to whether or not the guy putting on the strings will do it right. I'll bet if you take a photo of the headstock, you'll see a ton of winds at the tuning posts as well.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
That style Bigsby can be known for tuning stability issues when the break angle is too sharp. I am not sure with the distance from the bridge to the tension bar is contributing because it is far enough that break angle should not be aggressive. As far as the numerous winds at the tuners, this is not good either. If it were me, since this is the incorrect Bigsby, I would walk away from it unless this is discounted enough to pay for the proper upgrades, and repairs to the holes. Sorry to be the spoiler.

Likeabrave

Synchromatic
Feb 11, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I can't make out a floating bridge base in the pic so, assuming the bridge is stud mounted, the guitar is probably a solid body or center block model. The tension bar is intended to create the correct break angle over the bridge to keep strings from popping out of saddles and theoretically improving sustain and tone. On some designs, the tension bar is too close to the bridge creating to great an angle leading to tuning instability especially if the saddles are poorly slotted or are otherwise imperfect. IMO - Stringing over the tension bar is not really a solution to any problem. If you really like the guitar, you can ask someone at CG to set it up properly so you can try it out or roll the dice and take advantage of their 45 day return policy on used gear.

swivel

Country Gent
May 13, 2018
PNW
My guess is: that bar with a TOM bridge is too much pressure on the bridge. TOM is not great for using with a Bigsby anyway.
But yeah, it's GC, some kid who never strung a Bigsby probably put strings on the guitar.

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Thanks for the replies.

It's this G5622T. Is the Bigsby really changed as it looks to me the same as in others they list?

Screenshot_20220623-082257.jpg
Screenshot_20220623-082326.jpg

The windings look ok.

I played this one in local GC couple weeks back.

Screenshot_20220623-083037.jpg
But it had two issues. The pick up selector had presumably a contact issue. Bridge pickup would not turn on always and when it did, the volume level went up and down. May be just a case of squirt of conract cleaner but who knows.

And the tuning stability was terrible. Now I'm starting to wonder if this model is especially bad in that respect? Thinking I'll only go for one if I can play it first.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
The B70 is used on all centerblock guitars (and some solidbodies) and is correct for that model.

Yes, less friction.
I've seen others who mounted the strings over the tension bar, often the Bigsby works better that way by freeing the strings, but the break angle may not be ideal. Depends on how far the bridge is from the bar and the carved top.

Edit: there is a bar made to mount above the tension bar as a compromise, much less tension than stock but more than stringing over the bar. Google "Towner Bar".

I've also seen another bar that replaces the original tension bar,

Last edited:

WillyW

Electromatic
May 3, 2022
ABQ
the over or under the roller should not be the issue here.

if that is a factory b7/70 installation on those two guitars, the factory needs to be ashamed of themselves.

the entire unit is way too short for those bodies

the end of the arm barely reaches the bridge pickup

the end of the arm should almost reach the neck pickup.

this..

Not this…

C7FD87A1-28D7-4841-B797-1DE08B2E2AD2.jpeg

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
the over or under the roller should not be the issue here.

if that is a factory b7/70 installation on those two guitars, the factory needs to be ashamed of themselves.

the entire unit is way too short for those bodies

the end of the arm barely reaches the bridge pickup

the end of the arm should almost reach the neck pickup.

this..

Not this…

View attachment 183239

All of the 3 pickup 5622 bigsby arms look like that as far as what I've seen. I guess that could be called a design flaw.

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
This is a v useful thread. My Epi ES295 is fitted with a B700. It has all the issues and some of its own so it is with my luthier for some modification. I haven’t been able to check out the over the bar route yet to see if it fixes the Bigsby problem but I am hoping that locking tuners and a roller bridge will do it. I can see that it may be necessary to swap out this Bigsby entirely for a non-tension bar version if it doesn’t. I assume the comment about the Bigsby arm coming all the way up to the bridge pick up refers to solid body guitars. Certainly is a long way off on my ES295 and my 6120.

Attachments

• 4C4F309C-8204-4F72-AB09-AE6471C50927.jpeg
    4C4F309C-8204-4F72-AB09-AE6471C50927.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
  • B678EFAE-3339-41C3-8C34-515DF65D912B.jpeg
    B678EFAE-3339-41C3-8C34-515DF65D912B.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 19

gretsch-to-go

Gretschie
Oct 2, 2019
Palm Coast, FL
This method of not going under the roller bar is a way of reducing string break angle over the saddles. Depending upon how aggressive the break angle is, saddles that are fixed can grind the strings and damage the coating There are Bigsby Models that don't even have that roller bar (B3/B30, B6/B60). This is a matter of preference to string the Bigsby that way. Just me, but one of the 1st considerations I'd have with a Bigsby is to replace the fixed saddles with roller saddles for better tuning stability and for string longevity. Metal shavings from the friction isn't good for the pickups either, the magnet attracts those metal filings & can damage the pickups if they somehow work their way down to the wire windings.

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
This method of not going under the roller bar is a way of reducing string break angle over the saddles. Depending upon how aggressive the break angle is, saddles that are fixed can grind the strings and damage the coating There are Bigsby Models that don't even have that roller bar (B3/B30, B6/B60). This is a matter of preference to string the Bigsby that way. Just me, but one of the 1st considerations I'd have with a Bigsby is to replace the fixed saddles with roller saddles for better tuning stability and for string longevity. Metal shavings from the friction isn't good for the pickups either, the magnet attracts those metal filings & can damage the pickups if they somehow work their way down to the wire windings.

Never ever thought of that, thank you.

senojnad

Synchromatic
Jul 13, 2008
Lehigh Valley, PA
For smaller body guitars (Jets, Broadkaster Jr., etc.) the roller bar-type Bigsby often causes tuning problems due to string break angle. An excellent solution for this is the BricksBiggsFix -- https://bricksbiggsfix.com/. It made a HUGE improvement on my Broadkaster Jr. and I suspect it would improve performance with full sized body guitars with roller bar Bigsbys.