Stock Gretsch case for new G6128T duo jet too shallow

Krampus_CT

Electromatic
Mar 18, 2022
East Hampton, CT
I picked up a new Gretsch G6128t-53 VS this year and the case is too shallow (looks to be the stock G6238 case with the dark red interior).

When closing the lid, the case top comes down and touches the top of the Bigsby's tallest point, on the fulcrum above the spring. And then when latching the case, it pulls the lid down further about 3/4", which pushes down on the Bigsby loosening tension on the strings and putting a little pressure on the back of the neck (on the neck rest just before the case compartment).

This doesn't happen with my other two duo jet cases, which are the older dark greenish/black cases with the teal interior. And the G6128t-53 fits fine into one of those (same exact dimensions as my '62 and '68 jets, 2" body depth + Bigsby height of 1.5").

My question is, does anyone else have this issue with a Bigsby equipped jet in the G6238 case, and if so, is it necessarily bad that it's depressing the Bigsby when closed? I'm more worried about the pressure on the back of the neck than anything else.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Do you have the Bigsby handle rotated so that the end of the handle is basically over the strap button on the end of the guitar?

Krampus_CT

Electromatic
Mar 18, 2022
East Hampton, CT
Do you have the Bigsby handle rotated so that the end of the handle is basically over the strap button on the end of the guitar?
Yes, I generally rotate it so it's pointing back to the strap button. The point of contact of the Bigsby to the lid is the pointy piece above the arm, the arm itself isn't being depressed by the lid.

Lucky Jim

Gretschie
Oct 16, 2020
Kent, England
The case of my 53VS was exactly the same and it did bother me slightly. Whether it would cause any problems in the long term I don't know. I wasn't concerned about the neck because it had plenty of support and the back of the guitar was flat against the case. The only slight worry, as you said, was the pressure on the guitar top through the Bigsby. The original 53s had a G tailpiece so did Gretsch recreate the original case depth without considering the Bigsby perhaps?

The case for my CLFG Duo Jet is deeper and there is no pressure at all on its fixed-arm Bigsby.

Krampus_CT

Electromatic
Mar 18, 2022
East Hampton, CT
The case of my 53VS was exactly the same and it did bother me slightly. Whether it would cause any problems in the long term I don't know. I wasn't concerned about the neck because it had plenty of support and the back of the guitar was flat against the case. The only slight worry, as you said, was the pressure on the guitar top through the Bigsby. The original 53s had a G tailpiece so did Gretsch recreate the original case depth without considering the Bigsby perhaps?

The case for my CLFG Duo Jet is deeper and there is no pressure at all on its fixed-arm Bigsby.
Thanks Jim, interesting to hear you had the same issue with your 53VS. It kinda worries me a little as well.

I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get a replacement case. Trouble is, of course, being able to try other cases to see if they're any better! I know the dark green/teal cases fit, but they don't often come up for sale.

Krampus_CT

Electromatic
Mar 18, 2022
East Hampton, CT
Both my 6122's have fixed chet handles and they hit the case lid and depress the arm some when the case is closed. I have had both fore over 18 years with no problems. They come out of the case in tune.

Jim
Thanks Jim, that's good to know it's not caused any issues with your Country Gents.

powerwagonjohn

Electromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2015
I just keep my 6128T on a stand next my amp. It's my only Gretsch guitar so I want it close at hand. I sure gets dusty though, especially when I am burning wood in the fireplace.
Thanks John

mgomes

Electromatic
Oct 23, 2020
Portugal
First Bigsby here with my "Smoke", quickly noticed I had to rotate the arm back when putting in the case to not put pressure on the arm. But when it's rotated it doesn't put pressure like you mention.

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
First Bigsby here with my "Smoke", quickly noticed I had to rotate the arm back when putting in the case to not put pressure on the arm. But when it's rotated it doesn't put pressure like you mention.
You always have to do that, I think the OP is saying that his case is too tight even with the arm back which certainly was the case (pun intended) with my 53VS jet, but it never caused a single problem.

emgee254

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2020
California
With a dark red interior it sounds like you have the G6238 Deluxe case, so you have the right case for that guitar. I have a couple of newer double cuts with trems and those are a very snug fit with the top of their cases.

Last edited:

ToneM1

Gretschie
Mar 10, 2009
Oxnard/Ventura County Calif.
Well…, all four of my Gretsch’s are vintage with vintage cases. The one for my #6113 is pretty tight. The #6113 is the precursor to the Electrotone body Tennessean. Nearly identical to a #6119 except the body depth is 2.25”, no neck binding, no zero fret, no white outline around the “F” holes and no Standby switch. My other ones are a 1960 #6122 (single cut), a 1959 #6101 Country Club P.O.S. And a 1962 Corvette. All those cases work perfect. I don’t know about new cases. I prefer the old ones.. I’ve been lucky enough to get two of the original white Cowboy cases, a nice grey/ with silver threads and what I was sold as a snow flake case and the brown chipboard Corvette case.

Fretwork

Nov 18, 2022
Canada
I have the same issue with my G6128T-57 that I acquired recently. At the shop, they said the interior needs to form so it might take some time. I'm hoping that's right :)