Should I add a master volume to my G5421?

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
20220608_110706.jpg
I did some mods to my G5421 Jet Club, including Blacktop Filters, Bigsby and new electronics. When I was in the control cavity I found that the way the body is chambered, it would be possible to add another volume pot plus a master volume pot. Do folks find the master volume something that you always use? The only reason I'm hesitating is I kind of like the way it looks without.

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Life’s not so simple. A master volume with a treble bleed so it doesn’t affect tone is useful as a loudness control in the presence of individual volume controls for each pickup, especially if the individual volume controls roll off treble with volume. The control set on the OP’s guitar is like a Telecaster control set. There’s nothing wrong with it. It does what it does.

It may be wiser to think about modifications this way. What do I need that I’m not getting? Do you really want a more cumbersome control set where bridge and neck pickup tone and level are controlled by the same pot? Why? If you understand what that entails, sonically as well as actually having to add and wire the controls, go for it. Personally, I’d find a guitar with that control set and play it for a while before deciding. If I liked it, I’d buy it. And me, I’d keep them both. They’ll be very different instruments.

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
Life’s not so simple. A master volume with a treble bleed so it doesn’t affect tone is useful as a loudness control in the presence of individual volume controls for each pickup, especially if the individual volume controls roll off treble with volume. The control set on the OP’s guitar is like a Telecaster control set. There’s nothing wrong with it. It does what it does.

It may be wiser to think about modifications this way. What do I need that I’m not getting? Do you really want a more cumbersome control set where bridge and neck pickup tone and level are controlled by the same pot? Why? If you understand what that entails, sonically as well as actually having to add and wire the controls, go for it. Personally, I’d find a guitar with that control set and play it for a while before deciding. If I liked it, I’d buy it. And me, I’d keep them both. They’ll be very different instruments.
Really interesting points to consider, thanks.

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada

The way it is now I have a treble bleed on the one volume control. I think I will go down to the music store and try one as you suggest.