Shoe culture in the United States?

houndman55

Synchromatic
Feb 8, 2014
Sweden
Hello everyone,

I am back from my long hiatus, mostly because of summer vacation and plain boredom. I have a question for American residents about shoes/ boots. When you come home from work or maybe grocery shopping indoors, do you take off your shoes or do you prefer to keep them on? Do you/ any members have any insights on this topic? No harm meant, just curious.

Take care,

Houndman55

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I usually don't take off my boots until I know that I'm in for the evening and not going back out.
On the other hand, I don't generally put them on until I plan to leave the house-- whenever that may be. Since I work from home, I will usually work in socks, slippers or moccasins until I need to go somewhere.
In the end, it really depends on what I need to do that day.

HnF6N0O.jpg

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Shoes! :eek::eek::eek:

Since we had the wood floors inside refinished, we take shoes off when coming inside. Being diabetic, I never allow my feet to be uncovered so I change into Uggs slippers indoors, There are outdoor shoes outside the door and more shoes in the foyer. Changing from slippers to shoes or shoes back into slippers while holding packages or holding the dog's leash is called the shoe dance. It's not too bad with slip on shoes but it's a real pain with shoes laces. This isn't a cultural thing. It's one more example of my wife's lunacy. At least she doesn't insist on the dog doing the shoe dance. The dog ate the insides of shoes in the foyer when she was a puppy. Like I said, this isn't cultural. It's lunacy.

houndman55

Synchromatic
Feb 8, 2014
Sweden
Shoes! :eek::eek::eek:

Since we had the wood floors inside refinished, we take shoes off when coming inside. Being diabetic, I never allow my feet to be uncovered so I change into Uggs slippers indoors, There are outdoor shoes outside the door and more shoes in the foyer. Changing from slippers to shoes or shoes back into slippers while holding packages or holding the dog's leash is called the shoe dance. It's not too bad with slip on shoes but it's a real pain with shoes laces. This isn't a cultural thing. It's one more example of my wife's lunacy. At least she doesn't insist on the dog doing the shoe dance. The dog ate the insides of shoes in the foyer when she was a puppy. Like I said, this isn't cultural. It's lunacy.
Okay I see. Didn't want to make anyone upset, Just wanted insight from experienced people like you.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I think that's probably an obsolete cultural stereotype - the idea that Americans don't take their shoes off. It goes back to an era when the country was largely rural ... and poor. Depression era stuff. Most of that generation's gone now, their kids aren't living with dirt floors anymore.

Personally, I'm usually barefoot, but sometimes in socks. I like those bulky thick ones - the kind you wear for hiking. They're good for playing drums too!

Sabato

Country Gent
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
My wife has wanted me to take off my shoes upon entering but I go in and out a lot wearing lace up shoes and won't do it without a sufficient reason like mud or snow. I even buy water resistant slippers so I can go out in the morning. I should also mention that we have hardwood floors and tile and that I am the one who does most of the vacuum cleaning and mopping.

OzzPocket

Synchromatic
Aug 11, 2020
NYS
Once I put carpeting in my house, shoes came off...and that goes for anyone that comes in. I do wear slippers sometimes, but as they don't ever go outside, they're ok...

swivel

Country Gent
May 13, 2018
PNW
Shoes most often on through the day. Off once I sit down for long though. Slippers morning and evening or just no shoes. We pretty much live in the forest and have 2 dogs. There's debris all over the floor daily. Mostly from Cedar trees that shed stuff real fast.
Here's what the cedar debris looks like before I clean the garage roof and as I'm cleaning in pic #2: The whole yard is covered in the spring or after a windstorm.
003 (4).JPG 005 (2).JPG

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Barefoot everywhere, any season except when walking the dog / hiking / going on to eat etc. But around the house and yard, barefoot and shorts all year round. Mowing the yard not withstanding.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I remember having to take off my shoes when I was invited into the house of one of my staff members.
It was so embarrassing. Especially because there was a hole in one of my socks.....

Last edited:

Bumble 57

Gretschie
May 8, 2022
Durango Co
Love me some crocs! Summer crocs, winter crocs. Easy on/off, easy to clean and they look cool. When going in the house and they’re muddy just slip them off and put on a clean pair. Boom, good to go! Boots when I’m weedeating if I remember of course.

Viking Power

Synchromatic
Jun 11, 2018
Mountlake Terrace, WA
Shoes off and slippers on when entering the house.
Ssssshhhhh….don’t tell the wife that I often wear the slippers outside when doing some quick chore.
The dog is allowed to keep her paws on indoors.

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Okay I see. Didn't want to make anyone upset, Just wanted insight from experienced people like you.
I'm not upset at all. I wrote my reply at 4:15 AM when I got up to relieve myself. You hit the "culture" part right on the money in your original post. My wife calls me an uncultured clod if I fail to take my shoes off when I come inside.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I've got a strong opinion in this one. Outside of seriously nasty conditions like heavy salty slush or mud, nobody should ever be asked to take off their shoes. It's rude. I've watched a few episodes of Downton Abbey and those folks seem to be fairly attentive to etiquette, and I can't think of a single instance of guests being greeted with an instruction to remove their footwear. If your floor coverings can't stand up to shoes, then your floor coverings are the problem, not the shoes. I am never barefoot unless I'm in water or a bed. It's ungentlemanly. But I do have a pair of house shoes that I'll slip on when I know I'm in for the evening.