Shipping has gotten expensive...

dak55

Country Gent
May 31, 2018
Central Florida
Well shipping has become very expensive but that is a stretch. Last guitar and case I shipped coast to coast cost about $140. Unless, maybe the case comes with with $300 cash inside, or the case is a mint condition white Gretsch cowboy case from 1955 and insurance is prudent. :D

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
You should be able to find a basic Gator case nearly anywhere for that price and a whole lot less in shipping. $400 shipping would make sense only if it's hand delivered.

Gregor

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, shipping has become ridiculous. I seldom order anything that I have to pay shipping for...it's often more than the article. A lot of people don't like Amazon but I've had great luck with them and all that I've ordered had free shipping even without Prime.
I often see ridiculous shipping fees posted like this one ($400 to ship a case) especially on Ebay. Scams or misprints.

swivel

Country Gent
May 13, 2018
PNW
In many instances it's a way of avoiding selling cost fees. So the item is priced low and shipping is priced high, but the total comes out about right. But I thought that the fee selling sites had gotten smart to that angle...?
But in that instance is a bit of deviousness for sure!

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
What no one seems to realize is that Pony Express is once again the preferred (and arguably the fastest) method of shipping. Those big cases can slow a horse down, even kill them. A rider might need a new vehicle after only one delivery. Hence the exceptionally reasonable shipping charges...

OzzPocket

Synchromatic
Aug 11, 2020
NYS
That seems like a bit much....but, shipping things HAS gotten pricey.....Recently, I was going to ship some items to my sister that had been my mother's.....The items.....maybe worth 2-300 dollars (guessing).....To ship them to California was going to cost over $400......I texted my sister, and she, of course, told me to hold off....

But....I asked the woman why so much......and her response was essentially, she really didn't know, but that prices had gone absolutely crazy over the last several months.....she mentioned fuel costs, etc....but still....I could buy a plane ticket and fly the stuff out there myself and probably pay less.

I don't really buy off Ebay....but I do remember that for a long time.....places would sell items for a penny (or some ridiculously low amount) and then $300 for shipping or however much.....because Ebay would take a cut of the price.....but not the shipping....... I'm pretty sure they put a stop to that practice....but maybe this is something like that, too.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
It's not just fuel costs. There is a labor shortage and the cost of labor is going up. Most companies will not turn away customers so they raise prices to lower demand as well as pay for the higher costs.

Honestly, shipping has been underpriced thr past 10+ years, subsidized by low wages and low fuel prices. 20 years ago the average household didnt receive many packages during the year, now households like mine receive a couple a day.

Tech21

Electromatic
Feb 23, 2018
New Zealand
You should try getting a quote for shipping stuff to New Zealand.

The word "profiteering" springs immediately to mind.....
And some people are still attempting to use the universal panacea for every price hike over the last 18 months as the reason they are having to now charge you more.... Covid.

And with the price for shipping to NZ, when I lived in the UK, New Zealand produce was available in the shops at the same or similar price as UK, European, USA goods etc and it cost just as much in weight and volume to ship food as it does to ship a guitar.
So are the Supermarkets making a huge loss on the "postage" to sell the produce at a competitive price?
I think not.

Last edited:

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
You should try getting a quote for shipping stuff to New Zealand.

The word "profiteering" springs immediately to mind.....
And some people are still attempting to use the universal panacea for every price hike over the last 18 months as the reason they are having to now charge you more.... Covid.

And with the price for shipping to NZ, when I lived in the UK, New Zealand produce was available in the shops at the same or similar price as UK, European, USA goods etc and it cost just as much in weight and volume to ship food as it does to ship a guitar.
So are the Supermarkets making a huge loss on the "postage" to sell the produce at a competitive price?
I think not.

I feel your pain. Here in Oz we are the second-last stop on the world's longest supply chain. I have bought many small items like strings where the shipping charges were greater than the purchase costs.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I looked into shipping my gear to the island. I have a buddy doing this on a regular basis.
Approx $2000 before pandemic which I thought was a bit steep. Hold on to your hat $15000 bucks after... God knows what it is now after the Putin antics road show.

Tech21

Electromatic
Feb 23, 2018
New Zealand
Problem these days with FleaBay is that most sellers are using eBays Global Shipping Program 'cause it favours the bone idle as it's easier than writing the sellers address on the box and going to the Post Office with the item.
FleaBay just appears to pick a price with a random number generator as with two identical items one can be anything up to 3x the price of the other and they are always way more expensive than the seller sending the same item via USPS... and it takes at least twice the delivery time of USPS.
The other thing eBay are doing is charging the buyer Import Duty and GST (GST is an NZ purchase tax at 15%) at checkout time.
The point is that they are charging Import Duty on items that it is not payable on, for instance NZ customs are only interested in Duty on Guitars over $1000nz value.

Here FleaBay are charging $156.70us ($253nz) on an item that doesn't attract duty at $968nz and on top of all that they are charging $259.93 ($420nz) for shipping.
So for a $600 item, I would be paying $1017...
in NZ$'s Item cost : -$969 and total payable : - $1642

Duty-1.jpg

Oh, and also they charge GST at 15% on everything including the shipping....
Grand total of $1888nz !!!!
Like I'm going to pay that for a $970 guitar that I will be waiting a month for?..... Yeah... Right.

Daylight Thievery lining the pockets of those who do the least.... FleaBay doesn't even do the shipping themselves they contract the whole thing to Pitney-Bowes for the shipping and handling.
Just as a matter of interest, Pitney-Bowes Vice president has a salary of $248,211 a year which is 69% above the national average, and I'm sure he earns every penny of it.:(

Last edited:

Latest posts