RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
It's an odd feeling.

I've never met the Queen, nor am I a big royalist. However I am a proud Britain, and for fifty years I have known no different. The Queen has been the one constant in a rapidly changing nation.

It's a huge, deeply felt, loss for many.

Long live the king.

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Let's put this in terms guitarists can relate to: Queen Elizabeth II ascended to the throne 2 years before the introduction of the Fender Stratocaster! She's been the Queen for its entire existence!

That's a pretty long time!

My condolences to her subjects and the entire UK in general. It is indeed the end of an era.

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
One of my main media and communications planning jobs in my work (Im the Ministry of Defence's Chief Media and Communications Officer for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) has been Operation Unicorn, which has now been activated. This was all the military ceremonial activity with was to occur, if Her Majesty died in Scotland, which has now happened. Four days of military ceremonial activity, which every media outlet in the world wants to know about, before she returns to London for the funeral and where am I? I'm a member of a jury in a high court trial until the end of next week. I'll miss everything I've been planning for a decade and a half for... Gutted doesn't even touch it...
I appreciate the picture you have there. For whatever the reason, the Queen always came across as a real person. I realize that she lived a life of ceremony and protocol which would be unimaginable for me, but somehow, I always had the impression that she had a side that we could all relate to, in spite of the role she lived, her entire life.

Armygirl

Country Gent
Mar 14, 2014
Edinburgh
I appreciate the picture you have there. For whatever the reason, the Queen always came across as a real person. I realize that she lived a life of ceremony and protocol which would be unimaginable for me, but somehow, I always had the impression that she had a side that we could all relate to, in spite of the role she lived, her entire life.
She was such a good laugh... took everything in her stride. I can't imagine having pretty much zero choice in my future, regardless of riches and privilege. But she took it all with such poise and dignity. I met her lots of times and she was great fun. Not an air or grace in sight.... it was her entourage who got all prissy about protocol, she didn't bother......

AllenK

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2019
Staffordshire Moorlands, UK
She was such a good laugh... took everything in her stride. I can't imagine having pretty much zero choice in my future, regardless of riches and privilege. But she took it all with such poise and dignity. I met her lots of times and she was great fun. Not an air or grace in sight.... it was her entourage who got all prissy about protocol, she didn't bother......

Couldn't ask for a better epitaph.

Sorry to hear you can't be available to participate in the activities you've planned for so long.

R.I.P. Her Majesty.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
This is very sad, most of us were hoping for at least 100 years of her, or more if it were possible.

For someone to be that kind, sincere and humble consistently during her reign, is something that few could meet.

We met her while I was in the Service preparing for a joint project, she made you feel that you were the only one in the room, even though hundreds were there, that impressed me down to my core.

R.I.P. Her Majesty you are missed.

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Rather than hearing accolades from other famous people, seeing comments from “ordinary” people who have had contact with a famous person seems like a good way to get an accurate measure of the famous person imo. She was a good and gracious person. May she R.I.P.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I was lucky to happen on the Trooping of the Colours once whilst stationed in England. Right time, right place and totally unplanned. A British soldier recommended that my friend and I stand at a certain corner. Turned out to be the staging area for the parade, and we got to see everyone forming up. The Queen arrived, seated in her carriage. It was amazing to see the pomp in person, something an American normally doesn't get to observe.

I always found it interesting, and a bit sad, that her whole life was dictated by the rules and ceremony required of her position. She was the one person, of all of the world's leaders, that had the longevity and stability that the rest of our leaders could only aspire to. She served thru 13 US Presidents and 14 Prime Ministers. Things will never be the same.

Last edited:

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
It's easy to forget that people in these circumstances are just like the rest of us, but are faced with much different circumstances than any of us could imagine. Who would want to be in that position, where every aspect of your life makes the news?

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo

we binged the Crown a while back, it woke us up to many thing we just werent aware of growing up.. I loved that series although the switch in actors really pissed me off at first but later realized it NEEDEd to take place haha.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
The year of her Coronation, 1953, we were living in Welland Ontario. Welland and many other Canadian cities held celebratory Coronation Parades . Following the parade, the floats were demobilized near our house. My Dad took some colored crepe paper from one of the floats, and decorated my tricycle.

I saw her twice, once in a Motorcade in St. Catharines Ontario, and once when the Britannia sailed through the Welland Canal, also in St. Catharines.

God Speed Your Majesty!

BIB