Reverb.com : Find of the Week: A First-Run Gretsch 6120

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Yep, I ogled that as well. Looks to be in amazing all-original condition. Plus the cowboy case with the green interior and horsehide exterior. Price is a bit steep for me. But what a cool piece of Gretsch history.

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Is it to play or….
is it for a wealthy guitar nut to own as an investment or…
is it to put in a glass case in a museum ?

I must admit I just don’t get the whole mega money for vintage guitar thing. It is unlikely that it will play as well as well set up modern example and you can’t play a gig with it because it is too valuable and fragile so what exactly do you get to justify your £20,000 except maybe the chance to sell it in a year for £30,000 ?

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Is it to play or….

I must admit I just don’t get the whole mega money for vintage guitar thing. It is unlikely that it will play as well as well set up modern example and you can’t play a gig with it because it is too valuable and fragile so what exactly do you get to justify your £20,000 except maybe the chance to sell it in a year for £30,000 ?
I know what you mean.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Is it to play or….

That’s what vintage collectors do. A friend of mine (with a wealthy friend as a co-sponsor) bought a late ‘50s Les Paul just for the sake of selling it to Jimmy Page. They invested 60 grands for a total gain of a plane ticket to Paris and a grand each.
I hardly see my boss at work call this type of investment “a good job”. :)

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I don't know how I missed this. What a beauty. And it has a small gap between the G and the underline. I've never once seen that before on a vintage 6120. Yet, that's how the Custom Shop makes them all. I guess there is at least one historical precedent for that practice.
Is it to play or….

I must admit I just don’t get the whole mega money for vintage guitar thing. It is unlikely that it will play as well as well set up modern example and you can’t play a gig with it because it is too valuable and fragile...
I've gigged 5-figure vintage Gretsches even in rowdy dive bars for a couple of decades now. Not $23k, but still. If I felt comfortable paying that much for a guitar at all, then I would certainly be willing to gig with it. And guitars like this didn't make it to 67 years by being fragile. They are delicately built compared to most modern tank-like guitars, but they hold together just fine. It's one of the things I love about them. They're lively.

As for setup, they certainly can be set up to play as well as anything. The difference is with a new guitar, you don't expect to have much. But with a 50-70 year old instrument with un unknown history of maintenance or neglect, you have to expect that it's going to need a little work, or at least tweaking.

Sure, it could end up in a vault, but there are plenty of people out there with the means and the skills to buy a guitar like this and put it to good use. But those people spend their time either practicing or making the big bucks instead of hanging out on forums like us, jawing away.;)

j.s.c

Country Gent
Aug 19, 2008
france
Ok well, let's catch some flies...

Is this bridge base an original one ? Not conventional for sure and because they said 100%... I had to ask for experts to bring us the light of ancient knowledge.

Btw I posted recently (in other thread) this picture of another early 6120, not sure all parts were original (probably not the pickup surrounds) but anyway, it has the same kind of G bottom bar gap...

imageedit_13_4499363511-jpg.181577

Even more shocking is this But G other variant with NO G BAR at all !!! (early bullet tussrod but it has the 22th fret)...

019773ca6baa7cdbaaf663c872f5c48b.jpg

🤪