Replacing pots on G2215-P90

GuitarMoxy

Feb 17, 2022
UK
I'm considering the purchase of a Gretsch G2215-P90. Is it possible to replace the pots for volume and tone with full-sized CTS audio taper pots without routing the cavities to enlarge them?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find a similar question using the search facility.

Thank you!

lukeh

Sep 11, 2021
Bristol, UK
I can't answer your exact question but here's a look inside the cavities if that gives you a better idea of how much space you have to work with, it might be a bit cozy. Hopefully it helps!

Attachments

• 2022-02-25 11.59.16.jpg
    2022-02-25 11.59.16.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2022-02-25 11.59.43.jpg
    2022-02-25 11.59.43.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 12

DougWheeler74

Synchromatic
Jul 10, 2019
NE Wisconsin, US
I bought a G2215-P90 recently. It is a sweet guitar and as many have said, Streamliners are a huge bargain at the price point. Mine needed a setup. So did my G2622. Once setup (neck adjustment, bridge adjustment and filing the nut) it is a sweet guitar.

FretsOnFaiar

Electromatic
May 7, 2022
Germany
I've purchased some new pots for the G2215, tried to fit in a Gibson 500k pot (which ended up being only 430 k compared to the Gretsch stock 514 k....) but so far, no dice. The pot seems to be too big for the cavity. In particular, the extending lugs don't allow me to screw the pot in through the hole. Maybe it's the Gibson design, but I think this pot will be difficult to install without having to modify the shape of the cavity.

FretsOnFaiar

Electromatic
May 7, 2022
Germany
There is place enough to install std CTS or BOURNS 24mm diameter pots. Lugs can be carefully bent up as you need.
I think the problem is the thread diameter on a standard CTS pot. The usual diameter of around 8 mm or so just doesn't fit through the hole in the guitar body. The mini pots do. Are there standard size pots with smaller thread diameters that you guys know of and, if so, which companies produce them? Thanks in advance for any infos!

tmcq65

Gretschie
Nov 10, 2021
Eastern Tennessee
I replaced the pots on my G2420T - no cavity issue as it's a hollowbody, but most likely same electronics used since both are Indonesian built. I did have to drill out the mounting holes for the standard size pot, as the original equipment has a smaller threaded shaft. Metric, I assume. This was no problem - 15 seconds with the right size drill bit.

kdm1218

Electromatic
Jun 17, 2021
TX
I think the problem is the thread diameter on a standard CTS pot. The usual diameter of around 8 mm or so just doesn't fit through the hole in the guitar body. The mini pots do. Are there standard size pots with smaller thread diameters that you guys know of and, if so, which companies produce them? Thanks in advance for any infos!
Philadelphia luthier supply had started to carry some 10% tolerance CTS pots with metric sized shafts late last summer or early fall, that makes for no reaming and no need for different knobs. I’d check there.

swivel

Country Gent
May 13, 2018
PNW
Well, it sure appears there is plenty of room inside that cavity...?
Std larger body pots have a 3/8" threaded bushing though, at least here in the US. There are full size pots out there with a smaller threaded bushing, whether they have a long enough bushing I dont know. Not sure how readily they are available either.
Today, there are many small body pots out there which are good quality... ie: Size does not necessarily equate to quality... are the ones Gretsch uses not so? Or do you like the larger sweep?

Drill the hole if you must. Be careful and do it from the outside , with a very sharp drill and do it in stages (ie: work up in diameter with a few different drill bits) not all at once to avoid chipping the finish.

Last edited: