Removing pick gaurd?

coyotezed

Electromatic
Oct 25, 2021
Ann Arbor, Mi
I was wondering if anybody has removed their pick gaurd, and if so what was done for the holes left by the screws for the pick gaurd. I've been thinking about removing my pick gaurd but the main thing that makes me nervous would be those screw holes and what to do with them.

Jim85IROC

Electromatic
May 16, 2022
Vermont
do you notice any changes in sound or have any condensation or wood maintenance issues around the holes?
There is absolutely no way that removing the pickguard is going to change the sound. I'm not sure how removing the pickguard could possibly result in condensation. If you're that worried about the wood, you can dab it with a little bit of color matched nail polish, but there are original 59 bursts still out there with their pickguards removed and they've never had issues, so I think you're safe.

I'm pretty sure the pickguard has been off of Malcom's Gretsch for 40+ years now too.

BTW, here's my G5222 with the pickguard removed:
52083223820_1127f80393_c.jpg

TMcGee

Electromatic
Oct 14, 2021
USA
I was wondering if anybody has removed their pick gaurd, and if so what was done for the holes left by the screws for the pick gaurd. I've been thinking about removing my pick gaurd but the main thing that makes me nervous would be those screw holes and what to do with them.
I have taken it off my solid body 5435t because I didn't like the feel or look, the screw holes stood out because it is a black guitar with white wood, not too noticable but I took a black marker and stuck it in the holes, now the white is not there.

Only way the sound could change is if the screws were loose and it rattled...😁

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
Removed my electro jet pickguard, had a weird static discharge that sounded like crinkling cellophane…..screws and pickguard in a baggie in the case, weird sound taken care of,,never looked back. Like it better without it, screw holes don’t bother me a bit. Removed it from Firefly LP copy as well. A983825F-A780-427D-9F76-5B9A93E12CC5.jpeg

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I've only done this on my dark Epi LP and didn't like the screw holes showing light wood. I jammed toothpicks in them, cut them off flush and colored them with a black marker.
If I decide to I can always pull the toothpicks out, I didn't glue them.

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
I can never make my mind up if I prefer the look of pickguard on or off!
I think I prefer the gold pickguard on for my White Falcon & right now I’m liking the look of no pickguard on my Silver Falcon… ECAB8BDD-119D-4E56-BB2E-CDBBD506CB66.jpeg 798FD4FA-A42A-4904-9CD8-1AF1677A455E.jpeg