Relocation opportunity

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Over 7 years ago I left Ohio and moved to New Mexico, almost 1700 miles distant.
I don't love it here and am going back in a few months.

My advice is to spend as much time in the area you want to relocate to as possible. Watch the local TV news and see what they make a priority.
Once the initial excitement wears off what will be important to you?

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@Randy99CL,

Well said, we are going through the same issue with our children. I had to live all over thanks to the job, but I always knew that the opportunity would last for no more than two years. I have come to the conclusion that there are good and bad to balance anytime you live in a certain areas. Your advice is spot on, at first all is great, as time wears on, you discover things that you never considered, that may offset the "perfect place".
One thing that I have found is that musicians, especially Gretsch players are helpful, and typically nicer than average.
My advice is to spend as much time in the area you want to relocate to as possible. Watch the local TV news and see what they make a priority.
Once the initial excitement wears off what will be important to you?

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
I've moved twice in my working career for work opportunity/advancement.

All that's been posted is spot on.

One MAJOR factor that is a MUST LOOK INTO is the cost of living of the new area.

That's an unwanted surprise you don't need to find out once you're there.

Best of luck.

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Before retiring my job took me to a lot of places around the world. Typically 3-4 (or more) months on location and a month or so off. Then back for another 3-4 months. Marriage didn't survive that so started staying "on holiday" wherever I felt like.

Throughout all that I found the places that I didn't like to start with grew on me - mostly due to the people I got to know, and slowly figuring out how the culture "works". Live within their system and most of the problems disappear. Then some of the places I loved to start with wore pretty thin fairly quickly.... I guess the moral is it can take time to get used to a new place. And depends on how you see yourself there.

Great advice above to spend time if you can first to get a "feel" for it. Even in the same country there tends to be "cultural" differences that may work for you or not.

Best of luck with your decision!

cheers

Emergence

Gretschie
May 25, 2022
New York
I never had to relocate but I did a lot of travel for business. I thought about a possible move everyplace I worked. Other posters talk about cost of living. I looked at what I take for granted where I live that I’d have to give up in a move. I decided to stay put on Long Island. It’s not perfect here and living isn’t cheap but I’m staying put. Even in my retirement. There are places I like to visit but I’m always ready to come home after a week or two. In retirement, I have to think about health care. It’s world class where I live and I have access to and have availed myself of the best anywhere in NYC. Relocating isn’t just about where you want to go. What you’ll leave behind can be just as important, maybe more so.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
I left my hometown of Las Vegas, NV for the Big Island of Hawaii in 2006 to open a store for my company. My wife is from Oahu so we had been visiting for years, otherwise I’m afraid it would have been a much more major culture shock.

I learned that there were a lot more great people in the world than one might have experienced at home. I’m sure you can imagine that it was a joy to live in such a beautiful place. The food is also so amazing with fresh catch and so many mixes of culture that I would never been exposed to otherwise.

Los Angeles is a place I would never want to live again. Spent 6 months in Culver City and though California has much to offer; the urban sprawl, terrible traffic and dregs of humanity are a big downer for me.

Denver was another good place but not great. Too much traffic again and snow is nice but not my thing.

Savannah, GA has been fabulous. The people here are genuinely warm and friendly. The city is convenient without too much traffic. The beach is close and the architecture makes you love your commute. Always fun things happening and lots to do in the surrounding area.

I have always felt that we have grown and learned from each place we’ve moved. Moving can take a heavy toll on your finances and relationships. And you can sometimes escape from things you don’t like and make a better life but it begins with you.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Before I moved here I believe I did all I could to prepare: I checked into the cost of living (food, gasoline, rents, etc.), population makeup, crime statistics, culture, local foods, educational opportunities and everything else I could think of.
I signed up at an online dating site and talked with women in this area for six months before moving.
I stayed in a hostel ($30 a night) for a month before picking out an apartment. Excited, didn't notice anything I didn't like.

What has turned me away from this area is a couple of factors that weren't immediately apparent and have gotten under my skin over time.
The crime statistics aren't much worse than any other city of this size but it is different. In Ohio I knew the bad areas and would stay away, no problem, but here there is no "safe" area, crime is a constant problem everywhere. This is the Wild West with too many guns, too much machismo attitude, too little education, too few police, too many drugs.
Breaking Bad in real life.

Because of the ideal weather, homeless people number in the thousands. I knew of none in Ohio.
They are everywhere, always hitting up anyone close to them for money. My problem is that I wish I could help everyone of them but that is impossible, their numbers are huge.
They congregate at the drive through at McDs, they approach when your window is down. They line up outside stores and restaurants, walk around parking lots everywhere, walk down your street and beg for money everytime someone is within earshot. They join together into tent cities until things get out of hand and the police shoo them off to rebuild somewhere else.
Someone pointed out to me that there are many organizations that provide food and shelters with beds so many of those begging want money for what they can't get for free: drugs and alcohol and cigarettes.

I hope this post is not considered political, I'm just trying to illustrate how factors I didn't expect have ruined this area for me.

All just my observations, many love it here.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I moved 100 miles South. Avoided a lot of gunfire and a lack of work. Went from feet of snow to inches. Just as cold and wet, tho. Felt like I moved 1000 miles South in other ways.
Wound up retiring doing something I learned (and other things eventually) in 1st grade.
Can't forget the USAF period of my life.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Several times I have moved. Once into an apartment complex in Victorville. Got along great with the people there but found out it was the worst apartment complex in town. Hookers and drug dealers for neighbors. Hardcore gangbangers and well it was enlightening talking to a cop. So when ever I think I am moving I always talke to a couple local cops City Police Sheriff and Highway Patrol. It’s amazing what their insights are into the area. I also visited the local schools and stopped into the office to talk to the principle and get a feel for the place. I also talk to some of the local kids. Maybe I’m the odd guy out but having lived all over the place this has turned into the way I decide where to live. That and the normal things like checking prices at grocery stores and housing prices has prices and taxes! A 30 mile shift west saved me thousands in state income tax! Iowa and Mn were High SD didn’t have one! Winner SD! And don’t forget property tax.

Badscrew

Electromatic
Jul 16, 2022
Europe
Moved to another country 22 years ago. Had to learn a new language!

It wasn't awfully complicated, didn't have kids at the time. People who do that with their full families are the real heroes, I don't know if I could do that.

Still living here in France, it was a great experience albeit a bit frustrating at times.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I've moved so many times for different opportunities -- including as a kid with my folks moving. There's good advice here for sure. I suggest a couple of things -- property, sales, and income taxes for sure but get a handle on the political makeup to see how it aligns with your own. It makes a huge difference to find a tribe in your new place. If you're moving from a larger city to another larger city, the mix will likely be varied enough to fit in but if you're moving to a smaller town, it can make or break a place. Also, make sure there's a good grocery store nearby -- we moved from Seattle to a small town in Iowa but we're blessed with the best grocery store I've ever had anywhere I've lived. I swear it's one of the main reasons for staying here.