Relic'ing...

Glaw

Gretschie
Aug 30, 2017
ca.
It’s like blue jeans that come with holes and marks, personal taste. I think the relic guitars look cool but my guitars are hollowbody and acoustics and relic means broken To me.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
What I don’t get is people starting threads about things they don’t like. Never made sense to me. But then again, maybe I just need to try it to understand the thrill. I’ll go give it a whirl and see.

Go meta and start a thread about not liking it when people start threads about things they don't like.

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
To me guitars area a tool of the trade and relic finishes are a fashion statement which either appeals or doesn’t. The music business allows such frippery and tastes vary. Step outside the music bubble and apply the same approach and suddenly it all seems a bit odd - to me at least. I doubt that my carpenter would deliberately pre-damage his tools so they looked like he’d used them for 50 years.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I prefer a clean look. But...It's almost been 40 years since I started playing, so some guitars in my collection have accumulated a diverse array of bumps, warts, and scratches. Most rightfully earned, not to speak of a couple of vintage specimens I bought used...sorry prelicked.
Generally we don't get to buy our own ribbons but life's simply too short to lose any sleep over it.

Also, don't de-lice guitars with a licking.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
If the band didn't exist, and this guitar was hanging in a pawnshop, it'd never sell.
Slim,

Absolutely!

And, there's many more that will fit into ''the who'd want that'' category than just this one.

Lennon's 58 325 hung on a wall in Germany for two years before he saw it.

If that guitar had gone to any unknown citizen, not only would there be no more 325's, there would be no more Rickenbacker.

Fate has very strong powers.

BIB.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
View attachment 186557
If someone made one exactly like this I’d be sorely tempted
Relic Strats (whether simulated or honest wear) are particularly puzzling to me. The typical wear pattern clearly shows that the bevel is in the wrong place. It was designed in the days of holding the body of the guitar up to the vocal/group mic, with the neck level or even pointing down. Leo himself saw this and improved the angle for the Jazzmaster. If Fender actually changed it on the Strat though, everybody would be up in arms.

Latest posts