Rejoicing that someone bought a guitar I've been obsessing over

rake_ether

Synchromatic
Aug 24, 2019
Athens, GA USA
My latest obsession is a Richard Fortus White Falcon (white w/Bigsby) and I've been in the early stages of planning for the purchase sometime within the year. Of course, I'm following a few up for sale and a couple days ago the price of one was slashed hundreds of dollars less than any other. Oh no, my buy it now mode kicked in. I was relieved when some lucky person snapped it up. My plan has not been thwarted. Has anyone else been relieved when something they've been lusting after gets sold before they can make a possibly rash decision?

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
Sometimes I pray to lose auctions.
Me too, I rarely get into a bidding war, I set what I feel is a fair deal, and if someone wants it more than I do, great. Since I have no idea what the potential purchase means to the others, I lend my logic that it wasn't meant to be. In addition I have set fair prices on Reverb, some offers were within 1.5% of asking price for a "make offer" guitar that needs repair, and have received no response. If someone is using a make offer to entice people into a bidding war, forget it, to me, this is a Red Flag that there are more hidden secrets about that instrument, and I feel fortunate that my offer was not accepted. Having a guitar on watch list by others could be a sign that people are watching the market, not necessarily someone waiting to buy it.

bluenote23

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I do it the other way around.

I used to tire kick and saw great deals that I wasn't prepared for. So instead, I make sure I have the funds and then start looking. I set a price and when I see it, there is no hesitation.

Good for buying but it has some consequences:

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Many years ago I lost two eBay auctions for Telecasters. No big deal, I guess. I’m happy with the one I won for $400. It’s been a great learning experience and wonderful mod platform. I won an auction two years later for a 6118T Anniversary for the opening price of $1200. That one was a learning experience for sure. It took ten years for me to figure out the mud switch and individual volume controls that rolled off high frequencies faster than loudness. Life’s what you make of it. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you don’t. And sometimes what you win is an unexpected surprise.

I don’t bid on auctions anymore. I don’t play slots. I don’t drive drunk. I don’t play the lottery. The odds are never with you.

Slap_Back

Electromatic
Nov 30, 2021
NC
Ewwww, hate to tell you buuuuuuutttttt, there are 2 for sale in the used guitar section at GuitarCenter.com. One for 2999 and the other for 2799. Both in excellent condition.
I've actually been thinking about trying one out since one of them is pretty close to me. Richard Fortus is a great guy and great guitar player that knows what he wants in a guitar.

rake_ether

Synchromatic
Aug 24, 2019
Athens, GA USA
Ewwww, hate to tell you buuuuuuutttttt, there are 2 for sale in the used guitar section at GuitarCenter.com. One for 2999 and the other for 2799. Both in excellent condition.
I've actually been thinking about trying one out since one of them is pretty close to me. Richard Fortus is a great guy and great guitar player that knows what he wants in a guitar.
Oh great, the white one is about 65 miles from me. Must resist.