Poor craftsmanship on a new G2215-P90. Should I return it or fix/adjust everything?

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Honestly: That`s exactly what I would expect from a guitar costing this little money.

The point is: Even budget Gretsch guitars usually do not disappoint and deliver more than you`ve paid for.

I would return it. No doubt.

Desirsar

Gretschie
Jun 9, 2021
Lincoln, NE
The ESP F-205 I have in the Other Cool Guitars forum was shipped from Sam Ash as a B-205. I almost kept it, I noodled on it a bit, my guitarist noodled on it a bit, looked good, sounded good... but we must have only played high on the neck. The third and fourth frets had BUZZ, the first and second made a clank. No vibration, just clank. I sent it back as a swap, they just refunded me outright, so I ordered from ESP directly instead.

If it plays okay out of the box but only needs nitpicky personal setup changes, that's a keeper. If no one would want to play it out of the box, return it every time, nothing should need a full setup new. If it's damaged, I wouldn't even see how it plays before packing it back up.

charlie chitlins

Synchromatic
Aug 4, 2008
near philly
279 bucks and such issues?!
That's an outrage.
I'd be furious.
I used to be able to buy a car for that kind of dough and have enough left over to take the whole family to the drive-in.
Popcorn was a nickel and came in a spackle bucket.
Maybe if it was a CHEAP guitar...like 270 bucks, or something...but 279?!
I'd return it and make a big fuss.

Runamok

Country Gent
The ESP F-205 I have in the Other Cool Guitars forum was shipped from Sam Ash as a B-205. I almost kept it, I noodled on it a bit, my guitarist noodled on it a bit, looked good, sounded good... but we must have only played high on the neck. The third and fourth frets had BUZZ, the first and second made a clank. No vibration, just clank. I sent it back as a swap, they just refunded me outright, so I ordered from ESP directly instead.

If it plays okay out of the box but only needs nitpicky personal setup changes, that's a keeper. If no one would want to play it out of the box, return it every time, nothing should need a full setup new. If it's damaged, I wouldn't even see how it plays before packing it back up.

Little known fact: the “B” in “B-205” actually stands for BUZZ.

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
By the looks as you described, if it's really new & out of the box, I'd expect setup issues as not tuned, ect, or string & bridge height not really set. But those are adjustable factors and almost every guitar needs some sort of setup to your particular liking. But seriously, dings, nicks, striped screwheads, broken tuners, are all unacceptable from a "new" guitar. Even if you say you are going to change all that later anyway, that was not a new guitar. It was probably bounced around hanging on the rack, but unfortunately "new" for GC can mean never been sold before. They are so bad at that! If you think you got such a great deal that it's worth keeping, it's your choice. But that just allows GC to keep pulling that crap as they always do. Me? I'd return it an make sure I raise hell about it. Either get another one or go somewhere else..... good luck!

BTW.... I've always been impressed by the quality of Gretsch guitars.... even the most inexpensive models! I find it hard to believe this one was new in any way!

Nevermore

Electromatic
Nov 12, 2020
California
By the looks as you described, if it's really new & out of the box, I'd expect setup issues as not tuned, ect, or string & bridge height not really set. But those are adjustable factors and almost every guitar needs some sort of setup to your particular liking. But seriously, dings, nicks, striped screwheads, broken tuners, are all unacceptable from a "new" guitar. Even if you say you are going to change all that later anyway, that was not a new guitar. It was probably bounced around hanging on the rack, but unfortunately "new" for GC can mean never been sold before. They are so bad at that! If you think you got such a great deal that it's worth keeping, it's your choice. But that just allows GC to keep pulling that crap as they always do. Me? I'd return it an make sure I raise hell about it. Either get another one or go somewhere else..... good luck!

BTW.... I've always been impressed by the quality of Gretsch guitars.... even the most inexpensive models! I find it hard to believe this one was new in any way!
I've seen cracked plastic washers on other cheap tuners before. I chalked it up to shipping damage, or maybe quality control issues. The messy neck pocket and chipping around the P-90 cavity definitely seem like something that was done in the factory.

Right now I'm having intonation issues on the G string, so I ordered a cheap intonatable wraparound bridge.

I'll likely going to wait a couple days before the 45 day return window expires to see if I'm going to return this or not.

I like the way it looks, and I don't know if it will be any better if I swap it out for another one. They had a bunch in several finishes at two guitar centers near me. All of them had one thing or another I didn't like.