PICKUPS DILEMMA !

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Guys !

It's my time to ask for advices, experiences and help... :oops:;)

You know that I bought a nice G5220LH in Jade Grey Color :

Bc8TNb-P1150190.jpg

She will be a cool mate and friend with my G5220LH in Dark Cherry Metallic, and will benefit the same modifications :

Bc8TNb-P1150196.jpg

With the exception of the pickups : I would be very pleased to find a pair of Dual Coil Super HiloTrons (DCSHT) for my Jade Grey, (JD) just like on my Dark Cherry Metallic (DCM), but I am afrait that it looks like an impossible mission 😖... And yet, there was a time when no one wanted it ! 😩

I see two possible alternatives :

- The Gretsch HiloTron (GH) :
1655743966994.png
- The TV Jones T-Armond (T-A) :

1655744043863.png

Well, the T-A being circa 2x the price of the GH, but it is not a real issue, nor the conversion to English mount.

As I said, the tone of the DC SHT is fine for me... Not too powerful, not too weak, enough single coil but hum silent, Fonky. tone..

DC SHT vs. T-A vs. GH... Am I comparing Apple and Oranges ? 🤪

Supposing that I will never find a set of DC SHT :confused: :

- For which one should I go : T-A or GH ?
- Any other ideas of pickups "Gretsch Bezel" compatible ?

---> Oh, and if one of you have a set of DC SHT you are willing to sell, indeed PM me ! ;)

Thanks for your replies !

A+!

THS3171

Gretschie
Jan 20, 2020
Germany
Congratulations on this lefthanded beauty. Very nice picture. I've always been interested in how this jade gray looks in comparison to dark cherry (which I have as a lefty, too). I guess the TA would make the sound more different than the HiLos. Therefore a clear tendency towards the TA.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Thanks @THS3171 ! :)

Sorry this is the only picture that I took showing the 2 colors side by side... I'll take others later when modded, for sure !

Other owner G-T members (who ? :oops:) told me that the Jade Grey was as nice as the Dark Cherry Metallic, and they were right.

At first, I was afraid that it would look like a Lake Placid Blue, which is a rather "cold" Blue, But there's some discrete hint of Yellow in it, making it look a bit warmer, Greenish, like in-between a Fairlane Blue and a Turquoise Blue, if I can say so.

And, yes : the color vary under light exposure going from shiny-sparkling to deep-dark - just like for the Dark Cherry Metallic... :cool:

About the pickups, yes, the T-A will certainly be more powerful than the GH and DC SHT, but - that said - I am less than amazed - not to say disappointed - by the Gretsch DynaSonic set tone that I put on one of my project :

53CDLb-Tornado-Dynasonic-Revised-1.jpg

After a long time of unusal tweaking, I finally came to that setup which is "just barely more than dullness" :

43CDLb-Tornado-Dynasonic-Revised-2.jpg

With that schematic - yet simple and straightforward :

HiydOb-DYNA-pickguard-schem-13-01-2019.jpg

If the T-A shows the same tone as those Dynas, I'm afraid they are not worth the expense, despite their nice look...

A+!

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
You can get the TV Jones T-Armonds in a "no Ears" mount, that is exactly the same size as the Filter'tron, and I think they have wooden adapter bars to allow mounting like a soapbar P-90.

In fact, the installation of the pickups on a G5220 is the English mount way from factory, so no worry ! ;)

I can make DIY English Filtertron adapters, by the way, for HiloTrons or BT FT :

5LzMIb-pickup-bracket-viking.jpg

Like I did on my now sold Hagstrom Viking RI :

bq17Ib-IMG-1439.jpg

But what about the tone of the Gretsch HiloTron RI pickups, as available at thomann.de for 72E piece ? :confused:

A+!

BuddyHollywood

Gretschie
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
DC SHT vs. T-A vs. GH... Am I comparing Apple and Oranges ? 🤪

Yes you are. Construction-wise Super HiLotrons and HiLotrons have more in common with Filtertrons and Broadtrons than they do with T'Armonds. I think a HiLotron is basically a single coil Filtertron. An HS Filtertron or a TV Jones Classic would most likely get you closer to the sound of a Super HiLotron than a T'Armond will. I think your best course of action would be to hold out until you can find the Super HiLotrons that you really want.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Hey, @hcsterg. Maybe you could have someone rewind / remagnet your blacktops?

Or a crazy idea . . . I have a black 5622v1 I never play, has 3x DCSHT. Maybe we can barter? Maybe you could build me a loom for an idea for my DCM jet, or you could promise to prepare sets of schematics for some future projects? The poor guitar has sat in a case for years as it's too heavy. My priorities are putting instruments to good use and making room in my closet, not money.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Ha ! @Henry... This time, I had to use the Google Transaltor to decipher your crazy idea - I have my limits 😏 :

Ou une idée folle. . . J'ai un 5622v1 noir que je ne joue jamais, a 3x DCSHT. On peut peut-être troquer ? Peut-être pourriez-vous me construire un métier à tisser pour une idée pour mon jet DCM, ou vous pourriez promettre de préparer des ensembles de schémas pour certains projets futurs ? La pauvre guitare est restée dans un étui pendant des années car elle est trop lourde. Mes priorités sont de faire bon usage des instruments et de faire de la place dans mon placard, pas de l'argent.

OK - I suppose that the translation of construire un métier a tisser means building a guitar wiring harness, otherwise I don't see... 🤪😄

1655842565897.png

Oh well yes, as a trade with your set of 3xDC SHT, I can indeed build you the suitable wiring for a G5220LH in a "ready to install" kit - so you have a G5220, then ? :cool: - given that on my new one, I will competely rebuilt the wiring as usual, so I'll have the correct lenghts of wires to be expected. I'll just have to build one wiring in LH and one in RH in the meantime. ;)

Well, what you may probably have to do is the soldering - according drawing instructions - of the MV pot and/or the PU selector, because I am not sure :confused: that the would easily cross through the inside of the chambered body of the G5220, in order to reach their respective locations, entering from the main cavity opening...

But this is a point that I can check on my G5220LH nonetheless, as I think that LH or RH body will not make a difference in that field.

But then... What PUs will you use for your G5622T instead ? :(

Or I missed something in the process ? 🙃

Feel free to pm me for more details on such a barter (troc in French), Henry ! :)

A+!

Last edited:

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Ha ! @Henry... This time, I had to use the Google Transaltor to decipher your crazy idea - I have my limits 😏 :

Ou une idée folle. . . J'ai un 5622v1 noir que je ne joue jamais, a 3x DCSHT. On peut peut-être troquer ? Peut-être pourriez-vous me construire un métier à tisser pour une idée pour mon jet DCM, ou vous pourriez promettre de préparer des ensembles de schémas pour certains projets futurs ? La pauvre guitare est restée dans un étui pendant des années car elle est trop lourde. Mes priorités sont de faire bon usage des instruments et de faire de la place dans mon placard, pas de l'argent.

OK - I suppose that the translation of construire un métier a tisser means building a guitar wiring harness, otherwise I don't see... 🤪😄

View attachment 183121

Oh well yes, as a trade with your set of 3xDC SHT, I can indeed build you the suitable wiring for a G5220LH in a "ready to install" kit - so you have a G5220, then ? :cool: - given that on my new one, I will competely rebuilt the wiring as usual, so I'll have the correct lenghts of wires to be expected. I'll just have to build one wiring in LH and one in RH in the meantime. ;)

Well, what you may probably have to do is the soldering - according drawing instructions - of the MV pot and/or the PU selector, because I am not sure :confused: that the would easily cross through the inside of the chambered body of the G5220, in order to reach their respective locations, entering from the main cavity opening...

But this is a point that I can check on my G5220LH nonetheless, as I think that LH or RH body will not make a difference in that field.

But then... What PUs will you use for your G5622T instead ? :(

Or I missed something in the process ? 🙃

Feel free to pm me for more details on such a barter (troc in French), Henry ! :)

A+!
Ok I am sick right now. Let me gather some thoughts and get back to you via pm.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Hi-Los. Best kept Gretsch secret. Especially for a jet type. But then, I guess you would know...

Unfortunately, I have no experience about the true HiloTrons, only the DC SHT... :(

I read several times that they were weak and noisy pickups, though well appreciated paradoxically...

How do they sound ? Like Fender Tele or Strat pickups ? How do they compare to HS FT, BT FT ?

Ok I am sick right now. Let me gather some thoughts and get back to you via pm.

No worry, @Henry - You welcome.

A+!

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
"How do they sound ? Like Fender Tele or Strat pickups ? How do they compare to HS FT, BT FT ?" - hcsterg

Actually, they sound nothing like Fender pups, despite the fact that they are all single coil. HiLos have a sweeter tonality with more body in the lower mids and less piercing top end than the Fenders. Fender pups are generally more muscular in the upper mids and their overall frequency response is broader, which help give a Tele or Strat it's signature sound. HiLos tend to do better in finger-picking styles and can sing like a meadow lark. Do they hum? Naturally, but no more so than other single coil pups. For rock I would stick with FTs, but the overall clarity and balance of HiLos is hard to beat, especially in the smaller chambered Gretsch such as a Jet...

Last edited:

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
"How do they sound ? Like Fender Tele or Strat pickups ? How do they compare to HS FT, BT FT ?" - hcsterg

Actually, they sound nothing like Fender pups, despite the fact that they are all single coil. HiLos have a sweeter tonality with more body in the lower mids and less piercing top end than the Fenders. Fender pups are generally more muscular in the upper mids and their overall frequency response is broader, which help give a Tele or Strat it's signature sound. HiLos tend to do better in finger-picking styles and can sing like a meadow lark. Do they hum? Naturally, but no more so than other single coil pups. For rock I would stick with FTs, but the overall clarity and balance of HiLos is hard to beat, especially in the smaller chambered Gretsch such as a Jet...

I see - thanks @General_Lee ! :)

I am mainly a Soul/Funk/Rhythm guitar player - think The Meters, Backyard Heavies, Booker-T and the MGs...

Those HiLoTrons RI are not so costy here via thomann.de (think 72E piece) so I should give it a go, then...

I fotunately found and bought a pair of DC SHT but Neck position only. The Bridge position seems nearly inexistant... It's already better than nothing ! ;)

A+!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
The singlecoil Hilo is a great pickup but I suppose if you are looking for a backup for your guitar with the humbucking hilos it will not work because it is simply too weak.
I would keep on searching for a pair of humbucker Hilos.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
The singlecoil Hilo is a great pickup but I suppose if you are looking for a backup for your guitar with the humbucking hilos it will not work because it is simply too weak.
I would keep on searching for a pair of humbucker Hilos.

Yes, indeed. I reveived today one pair of Neck DCSHT :

1656158992896.png

It's already better than nothing ! :)

I will see if Henry finally opts for his "silly idea"... 😁

A+!