Peavey. What's your perception of them?

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Peavey. My first amp was a Musician head with 6 built-in fx, including Fuzz and Phaser. It seemed to make the sound progressively worse the more you tried to dial'm in. Interesting piece though.
Of course had the several Bandit iterations, and even gigged one. '70/80s Peavey solid state is underrated IMO. Loud, clean and dependable, what more do you need?
Got tentatively close getting one of the Peavey Vandenberg signature guitars, on several occasions, one of the best shredders ever made, and the excellent Rockmaster pre-amp.

Today I just have a Rockingham and the memories. A crying shame about the company.

47EC977F-6C4F-49EE-A23F-B99AFE792C54.jpeg

Last edited:

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
I think of Peavey, at least pre-overseas Peavey, as good blue-collar working gear overall. Stuff you could buy, would work reliably and sound fine, for not a lot of money. Their Classic series of amps are....well, classics. Especially with a few mods. They also had a few high-end lines over the years like the Cirrus basses and some high end guitars. I love the P90 Firenza posted above.

But...after what they did to Jason Becker, I will NEVER ever buy a new Peavey product as long as I live.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
What did they do to Jason Becker?

The short of it....he entered into an agreement with Peavey for a signature 'numbers' guitar to be produced. Contracts were signed, photo shoots were done with Becker and the guitar, the ads were run in guitar mags. This is right around the time he was starting to have issues due to his yet-undiagnosed Lou Gehrig's disease. Word got out he was having these medical issues. Peavey went dark on him. Breached the contract and never compensated him for the ad shoots and of course the guitars were never produced. Becker didn't have the resources for a legal fight. Hartley Peavey is a low-life.

Here is the one-of-one numbers guitar Peavey made for him. He auctioned it about a year ago to help cover medical expenses.

1664542688526.png

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
The short of it....he entered into an agreement with Peavey for a signature 'numbers' guitar to be produced. Contracts were signed, photo shoots were done with Becker and the guitar, the ads were run in guitar mags. This is right around the time he was starting to have issues due to his yet-undiagnosed Lou Gehrig's disease. Word got out he was having these medical issues. Peavey went dark on him. Breached the contract and never compensated him for the ad shoots and of course the guitars were never produced. Becker didn't have the resources for a legal fight. Hartley Peavey is a low-life.

Here is the one-of-one numbers guitar Peavey made for him. He auctioned it about a year ago to help cover medical expenses.

View attachment 190970

Holy schnit, I never knew about this. What a douche move. :-(

Their loss though. Even an sick Jason Becker is still good promo material IMO. And as we can see, Karma has a tendency to get even, eventually. 😬

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Silver Member
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
I still have a USA Classic 50 212 I bought new from back in 2010. I upgraded the speakers to Eminence Red Coat Governors. I also did the Blue mods to the amp. It’s a beast and weighs a lot. When I get the chance to crank it up the sound is really nice. Never had any problems with it.
My other Peavey is a Delta Blues 115. I like it. On board tremolo and spring reverb. The 15” speaker makes the sound big. I only wish they had 6L6 tubes instead of the el84s. As is they are great amps and good for what I do. I like the cleans and the dirty channel is best at edge of breakup IMO.

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Silver Member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
I had a Peavey Delta Blues 115 a few years ago.
It was a great amp & I regret selling this one.
The drive channel was great on this amp!!!!

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
It's a sign of import gear made for world-wide use. They use IEC cords so changing from US style plugs to other countries is easier. That's why computer power supplies use them.
So what's wrong with that? Seems superior to me. My made in America amp has it. I also like being able to choose which power cord to use - a short one at home, a longer one when I travel.

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
Haha Robert Quine made good use of a bandit, as did Ivan Julian, but their tones were pretty clangy and dry as is.
A mate had a Peavey Bandit 130 with a 15" speaker and it had no bottom end what so ever, it sounded like a cheap radio with a 3 inch speaker, No matter what we did we could not get a normal Guitar sound out of the thing, I would not waste a match to set fire to the thing, Worst Amps ever made.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
So what's wrong with that? Seems superior to me. My made in America amp has it. I also like being able to choose which power cord to use - a short one at home, a longer one when I travel.
I don't have a problem with that at all. Makes sense to me. All sorts of gear has IEC cords. Biggest issue that I had with it is that our video crew would always Borg the sound guys' power cables and such.

Chmason85

Country Gent
May 1, 2018
Philadelphia
Nobody complains that iPhones aren’t made in America and yet everyone has them and line up for the newest ones. There is nothing wrong with things being made in China except that some jobs went there and didn’t stay here, but that’s a political thing, nothing with the actual product. Like anywhere, USA included, you get what you pay for. Both China and the US produce equal amounts of brilliant stuff and garbage. It’s the same as getting work done on your home and shopping around for the right contractor who’s gonna do the job right and for the cheapest. It’s like going to Trader Joe’s instead of Whole Foods; you’re still getting a honeycrisp apple, just from a different place.

BTW, I’m fairly indifferent on peavey but a friend just got a tweed delta blues with the 15” speaker and that amp kicks ass and takes pedals very well, fwiw.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
The Chinese have been making both electrical and electronic stuff for a very long time. I've heard that they're actually very good at it.

I believe at this point is is literally impossible to source all of the electrical components for something like a pedal without using Chinese parts. They kind of have a stranglehold on component manufacturing at this point.

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
I was a "Peavey Man" for most of my life, started with an SS Envoy 110 then a used VTX (w/ 2x Black Widows) and finally a 90's Classic 50-410 (with a second 410 cab). I still have the Classic 50 (best all around amp for someone who *doesn't* know what they want) but they kind of lost me after the whole "Undercover Bosses" escapade.

I don't know that I would buy a modern product from them; used stuff still pops up fairly frequently (and still cheaply) though a lot of the USA-made stuff is moving up in price lately.

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
I believe at this point is is literally impossible to source all of the electrical components for something like a pedal without using Chinese parts. They kind of have a stranglehold on component manufacturing at this point.
Well, components are still being made in Taiwan, Korea, and Japan, and yes, even in the U.S. China often gets the nod because a lot of what goes into the manufacturing of an electronic product (soup to nuts) is all in one spot.

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit

This is the type of machine they used when making US guitar necks, Hartley was familiar with gun stocks being an avid hunter and they started using 'CNC' gun stock duplicators to keep costs low for US-made guitars. They also made two-piece necks split down the center, one side flipped end for end to for better stability, truss-rod route cut in both halves and glued together.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Nobody complains that iPhones aren’t made in America and yet everyone has them and line up for the newest ones. There is nothing wrong with things being made in China except that some jobs went there and didn’t stay here, but that’s a political thing, nothing with the actual product.

I agree completely. And FWIW criticasters in the West might find solace in the fact a lot of Chinese products are made with Western know-how, and/or machinery.
“We” complain a lot about Chinese products but maybe our dear fellow countrymen shouldn’t have sold’m the machines in the first place.

Latest posts