Passing on one of my 6120s to my son

mandobandit

Gretschie
Apr 1, 2019
Ohio
My 14 year old grandson has received several of my guitars and amps
He also has free run of all my gear we have been together almost daily since birth so he has grown up with my gear and knows how to treat them
Wow I love that kid

Attachments

• B2DC996F-C219-463A-B630-A27E6DB90101.jpeg
    B2DC996F-C219-463A-B630-A27E6DB90101.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2AE843C7-78C2-4870-8F1F-32CA190F6B40.jpeg
    2AE843C7-78C2-4870-8F1F-32CA190F6B40.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 14

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
My grandpa's 1930s B&D Silver Bell plectrum banjo remained under grandma's bed for another 10 plus years. At that point, I expressed interest in the banjo and my mom brought it to me, with the condition that I take a lesson.

I seriously doubt that I would be a stringed instrument player had I not taken up the banjo. I took that lesson, but it really was friends, in particular one friend, that played guitar (very well) and got me familiar with banjo and guitar at the same time.

To this day, playing music is my number one leisure activity. I will be forever grateful that I remember my grandpa playing his guitar and banjo and even moreso that he's inspired me to take up playing.

This is great to hear, and makes me happy that you respected your parents enough to take the banjo lesson.
There are many guitar players that had a foundation in banjo picking, and have benefited from a unique guitar sound.
Unfortunately, Banjo picking is a dying breed. He loved the sound, and was scolded many times in College for using an unorthodox practice as a classical guitarist. He can play the classical finger style without any problem, and did. But when given the opportunity to create an arrangement, he used a classical/Banjo arrangements. Even though he was technically wrong, the audience always seemed to respond in a positive way, the other students always thought that it was cool.

When he had to certify for his competencies, it was nearly impossible to find a teacher that would support a Banjo competency. I think we paid more to fly in an instructor for Banjo than for Guitar, Piano, Cello, Saxophone and voice combined.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@mandobandit ,

Thanks for sharing the wonderful smile on your Grandson's face. That speaks volumes for the bond, appreciation, and timeless memories you are creating, I am sure that your legacy will live on in him.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
The inheritance ship seems to have sailed here unfortunately. I had hoped to leave my guitars and amps to the kids but the interest has waned. I will hopefully sell most equipment before my demise and maybe leave them one instrument each with which they can decide what to do.
Someone here posted a story where someone's kid said please leave me your guitars so I can play them and remember you. The response was, that's great but I will have to take that into account when dividing up the inheritance so that all the children get a fair share.

The kid said oh in that case nevermind. Lol.

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Someone here posted a story where someone's kid said please leave me your guitars so I can play them and remember you. The response was, that's great but I will have to take that into account when dividing up the inheritance so that all the children get a fair share.

The kid said oh in that case nevermind. Lol.
Yes. I had previously said something like that in another thread. Oh well, I’m hoping to be here for a while. It all works out in the end.:)

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Do not despair until your grandkids appear to save the day! :)
I would really love that, Audept.
I tried to teach my son to play but he did not enjoy it and I would not force him to learn an instrument.
It turned out really early that he likes to do any kind of sports, especially pumping iron, bicycling and marching very long distances. In fact he was the only little kid I ever met that did not enjoy singing...

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
I must say that in my case, musicality jumped a generation to my grandchildren. Do not despair until your grandkids appear to save the day! :)
@audept

You make an excellent point, what did a famous musician from NZ in an Austrailain Band once sing? ....."Don't Dream it's Over". Sage advice for sure, thanks for reminding us.