Own Any Mobile Fidelity Albums?

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I’m 72. My hearing is shot. I listen to music from mp3 video downloads in my car. The dynamic range is all I need. Noise? Signal to noise doesn’t mean much over road noise. Vinyl? In my car? Over the road and exhaust noise of a BMW Z4? I music on a USB stick as as good as it gets.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
One of the reasons they want to excoriate MoFi is for lying,” says Howarth. “The other part that bothers them is that they’ve been listening to digital all along and they’re highly invested in believing that any digital step will destroy their experience. And they’re wrong.”

😡 😂
Like I said it's the tone wood myth.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Lol. I have an affection for analog. I am buying analog delay pedals. I am not claiming I can hear a difference. I completely recognize that it is an irrational, but harmless, fetish.
That is how I am with tube amps. I have heard SS I loved but as soon as it gets in my house next to a tube amp I hear enough difference I don’t want it! Pedals I can hear the difference between my analog Carbon Copy and a digital delay but is it because it is analog or just because it is a different make? I’ll say analog!

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
One of the reasons they want to excoriate MoFi is for lying,” says Howarth. “The other part that bothers them is that they’ve been listening to digital all along and they’re highly invested in believing that any digital step will destroy their experience. And they’re wrong.”

😡 😂

As hilarious as that is, it doesn’t make a good argument.
They deceived people and their defence is people fell for it?

Lou Coppolino

Synchromatic
Jul 23, 2022
Howell, NJ
Records vs. CD's.

I've used a vast record collection to parlay into $'s for guitars.

That may not seem like a good trade off but who cares?

I've added some choice pieces to the stash.

IMO, it's moving one possession to another.

RagnarHairybreeks

Gretschie
Aug 1, 2022
Gloucester England
It’s a little like people paying an absolute fortune for speaker cables when a bit of coathanger wire will not make a jot of difference as a replacement.

Shoddy business practice from the company in question (and they deserve to be vilified on that basis), but they have been marketing to, and bought by, audiophiles. They were only caught out by somebody doing maths, and not by any of these audiophiles saying ‘that don’t sound right!”

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
It’s a little like people paying an absolute fortune for speaker cables when a bit of coathanger wire will not make a jot of difference as a replacement.

Shoddy business practice from the company in question (and they deserve to be vilified on that basis), but they have been marketing to, and bought by, audiophiles. They were only caught out by somebody doing maths, and not by any of these audiophiles saying ‘that don’t sound right!”
And I find that absolutely hilarious! Audiophiles who have on occasion vilified someone for not having their pure sense of hearing and equipment! Hahahhahahahaa.

Last edited:

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Since I never opened the moving boxes containing my ca. 2.000 vinyls for 15 years I guess that I do not miss analog records all-too much.
I Don't have nearly as many but same here. Funny, part of the attraction of records was not the superior quality (with their fragility, that is usually not the case imo) but with the romance and ritual of pulling it out of the sleeve, reading the liner notes, placing the needle on the track and revving it up. Much more religious than touching the triangle on my phone and googling the album.

The irony is that all those extra steps which are the attraction also serve as a barrier so I rarely listen to them.

Last edited:

ombudsman

Electromatic
Mar 19, 2022
Cincinnati OH
I'm a bit of an audiophile and write occasional reviews for the best magazine on the subject. Those customers have every right to be pissed, having been lied to about something that has a direct bearing on the price they paid. The class-ism of it draws a lot of hate, which is a very predictable kind of subjectivity; it would maybe be easier to relate to if it was, say, Martin getting caught passing off that fake ebony substitute they use for the real thing for years (just an analogy I made up).

As for the process, I want to know what I'm getting so I can make a reality based decision when there are multiple versions of a record to choose from. But having well done digital conversions involved in the source of a record is absolutely not a deal breaker for me. I assume all records made in the last 20 years have that, and indeed most of them definitely do. Then again, that's for new releases; I typically go for an older version of an album that has been around for a long time, unless it's way too expensive compared to my interest in the record.

Muinarc

Electromatic
May 13, 2022
AZ
I'm a bit of an audiophile and write occasional reviews for the best magazine on the subject. Those customers have every right to be pissed, having been lied to about something that has a direct bearing on the price they paid. The class-ism of it draws a lot of hate, which is a very predictable kind of subjectivity; it would maybe be easier to relate to if it was, say, Martin getting caught passing off that fake ebony substitute they use for the real thing for years (just an analogy I made up).

As for the process, I want to know what I'm getting so I can make a reality based decision when there are multiple versions of a record to choose from. But having well done digital conversions involved in the source of a record is absolutely not a deal breaker for me. I assume all records made in the last 20 years have that, and indeed most of them definitely do. Then again, that's for new releases; I typically go for an older version of an album that has been around for a long time, unless it's way too expensive compared to my interest in the record.

I am also an audiophile and own several MoFi releases.......all on CD :). I have enjoyed vinyl in the past and currently have a 50+ Reel to Reel collection. I appreciate analog but MoFi here got caught selling to the lowest common denominator, uninformed consumers that can only latch on to one term like "analog" or "master recordings", People that spend thousands on music and audio gear really SHOULD know about things like the Loudness War and how the mix/master is EVERYTHING to the quality of the album, not just whether or not it's "analog". I have all those MoFi CDs because they generally DO sound better. They're made with care for audiophiles, by audiophiles, Not some rush -it-out-the-door corporate music label.