One-trick pony, or versatile enough for everyday?!

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada

I'm on a promise, to get the move to the new condo behind us, before FEDEX pays me another visit.

Packed about 15 boxes today. Kitchen's cleaned out. A closet, two bathrooms, and our bedroom left...hope the beer holds out!

She's so dammed cute...what else could I do but keep a promise!

Besides, it could be bad karma to break a promise at Christmas.

Best...HO HO HO

BIB.

bluenote23

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2009
Montreal, Canada
If your everyday is classical and jazz. then I wouldn't really recommend the Malcom Young though an accomplished player could manage quite well, I would think.

The MY is really just a Jet so if you play popular styles, then it would fit in wherever an electric guitar would fit in.

Though when you come right down to it, a Flying V is just a funny looking LP. So if 'electric guitar' music is a one trick pony (and there are some who would say 'it all sounds the same') then, it's a one trick pony.

Last edited:

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
Totally nonsense! I never got the idea of a "one trick pony" restriction on any instrument, unless you make it so.
I've always loved 12 string guitars and that same discussion always comes up!
People actually ask me what songs I can use it for since there aren't many 12 string songs? Seriously? If you're covering someone else's music, then I guess you pigeon hole yourself to someone else's standard, thus, the one trick. But if you create your own music & style, whatever that is, you create the standard! Play whatever you feel! Do it with whatever you like.... Be Different!

Floo

Country Gent
Dec 16, 2012
Elmshorn, Germany
Would you choose a Flying V for jazz? Classical?
The Flying V was intended as a Jazz guitar. Nobody back then thought about Hard Rock or even Heavy Metal. So yes, a V is suitable for Jazz!
Austrian guitarist Karl Ratzer uses a Tele for his Jazz. Limits are only in our brains.
This MY Jet has 3 pickups, the MY signature only one. That one would be mor of a one trick pony, but @loudnlousy exclusively plays one pup guitars, and I know he doesn't feel limited at all.

FiveAces

Gretschie
Mar 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
The Flying V was intended as a Jazz guitar. Nobody back then thought about Hard Rock or even Heavy Metal. So yes, a V is suitable for Jazz!
Austrian guitarist Karl Ratzer uses a Tele for his Jazz. Limits are only in our brains.
This MY Jet has 3 pickups, the MY signature only one. That one would be mor of a one trick pony, but @loudnlousy exclusively plays one pup guitars, and I know he doesn't feel limited at all.
I think the visual perception is what skews the mind... if a guitarist used a Flying V and started playing classical music, it just seem to look wrong... just close your eyes and the problem disappears! ...just sayin'.

Pine Apple Slim

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2011
North Alabama
I cant really do without a neck pickup so Malcom's guitar would not be versatile enough for me.
But since this has 3 pickups, yea plenty versatile.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
The Flying V was intended as a Jazz guitar ...

This may be true, but let's not forget that it was a total flop when it was first introduced in 1958. The jazz guys never bought into it and they only made it for a year or two.

It didn't find its audience until the blues/rock guys discovered it, prompting Gibson to reintroduce it in 1967.

I happen to be of the "it's the player, not the guitar" camp, so yeah, play anything on anything, but certainly some guitars are more associated with particular genres of music than others. Perception matters in the market place.