NSD

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
New speaker day!
B273C5E0-FC6E-4815-BAD2-5FD7006A3665.jpeg
I did away with the lousy toy speaker in my newly acquired Gretsch 5222 amp.
Installed a 6-inch Eminence today.
It’s a bulkier speaker so I had to screw it in about 1/4” lower than the stock speaker to get the board to fit back in.
While I was at it, I replaced the thick grill cloth with some material I stole from a crappy fender rumble bass amp I had around. It doesn’t look too pretty, but it’s an improvement.
AAEE3AAB-4406-4E1E-ACA9-FBDDCFA2E127.jpeg
Sounds much better. Now I can’t hear the sound of paper.
Hopefully, it being such a small speaker, it’ll break in faster than a 12” or something like that.
3B72E6EA-A4ED-4119-8F2F-BFAE6BC6230D.jpeg
Thanx for looking.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Here's a hint----
Spray the speaker mounting board black first before putting the grille cloth on. You'll hide that black circle. Swapping out the original cloth was a great move. That rubberized design restricts the sound of the speaker severely. Why they didn't make these with 8" or 12" speakers is beyond me.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Here's a hint----
Spray the speaker mounting board black first before putting the grille cloth on. You'll hide that black circle. Swapping out the original cloth was a great move. That rubberized design restricts the sound of the speaker severely. Why they didn't make these with 8" or 12" speakers is beyond me.
That’s a very good idea.
The other side of the board is black.
Maybe I can take it all apart and put the cloth on the other side?
It’d be a whole production though. Lots of freakin’ staples!

Outlaw

Country Gent
Jul 13, 2011
UK
The emmi 620H is a great speaker for sure in fact I'd go as far to say that it's one of the best 6" speakers out there.
The hemp cone is probably why it's so good,
They do take a bit of breaking in but it's worth it.

One other upgrade I would strongly recommend is to replace the toy output tranny for a decent 15 watter, I've used ones made by Classic Tone, very nice and what an improvement!!

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
The emmi 620H is a great speaker for sure in fact I'd go as far to say that it's one of the best 6" speakers out there.
The hemp cone is probably why it's so good,
They do take a bit of breaking in but it's worth it.

One other upgrade I would strongly recommend is to replace the toy output tranny for a decent 15 watter, I've used ones made by Classic Tone, very nice and what an improvement!!
Have you done that with this particular amp?
I did read that snipping the tone stack cap and the neg feedback cap open this up. I went ahead and did that right after I bought it. It breaks up much sooner, and has a fatter tone with fun glassy highs. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it sounds like a real tweed champ, but it does sound better.

Outlaw

Country Gent
Jul 13, 2011
UK
Have you done that with this particular amp?
I did read that snipping the tone stack cap and the neg feedback cap open this up. I went ahead and did that right after I bought it. It breaks up much sooner, and has a fatter tone with fun glassy highs. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it sounds like a real tweed champ, but it does sound better.
Yes I have, but I WAS'NT chasing the tweed tone, I was wanting more clean headroom and an improvement in tone, and the combination of 620h and better output tranny gave me just that, it kind of pushed it into the direction similar-ish to more of a blackface tone than tweed.
I did some other simple mods like swapping out some of those crappy caps for Orange drops aswell.

Cryin_Caleb_Aaron

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
Yes I have, but I WAS'NT chasing the tweed tone, I was wanting more clean headroom and an improvement in tone, and the combination of 620h and better output tranny gave me just that, it kind of pushed it into the direction similar-ish to more of a blackface tone than tweed.
I did some other simple mods like swapping out some of those crappy caps for Orange drops aswell.
Ah, I gotcha!
Well, I wasn’t sure what I was chasing. I was just tinkering. As long as the tone stack is snipped, there ain’t much clean headroom. Well, I can get some cleans with the second input.
I may look into reconnecting it and adding some kind of tone potentiometer. I wanted more highs, or at least less lows. What I got by cutting the tone stack is just more of everything. Definitely more highs, but a lot of gain too. My Esquire sounds great thru it, and bridge filtertrons sound great, but neck pickups turn to mud.

Outlaw

Country Gent
Jul 13, 2011
UK
Neck pup turning to mud could be that the OT has ran out of steam.

Also try swapping out some caps ie
C8 - to a 0.01uf 600v orange drop
C2 - to a 0.022uf 600v " "
C8 - to a 0.047uf 600v " "
C1 - to a 250pf silver mica

For better tone. IMG_20220819_173650.jpg

It's a tight fit but will go.

Last edited:

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Here's a hint----
Agreed entirely. A 12" speaker brings out a lot more of the amp.

Latest posts